Star Guardian - Cover

Star Guardian

Copyright© 2018 by Duncan7

Chapter 28: Return

As soon as we got back to Ship, Koluna was waiting to greet us.

“Hi Koluna, how was it here?” asked Jem.

“Quiet, what news of the Baglogi?” she replied. Jem’s face fell.

“They aren’t coming with us. I tried to convince them, but they are no longer what you would describe a space-faring race. To interfere with their development would cause too much harm to them,” she said.

“It was nice to meet with other Baglogi, if only for two days,” I said.

“Yes. Nice but sad. Brian can you take us back to the Baglogi system please,” said Jem.

“Yes, captain,” I smiled. We all moved to the main bridge.

“Ship, status report please,” I said.

“Alda and Bera report another fleet of about forty vessels moving toward them, most likely on their way to Baglogi. Cala is in orbit around Foe-5. Dura reports no vessels approached the moon during your away mission,” said Ship.

“Did the protocol injection succeed?”

“Confirmed. The do not disturb protocol is installed on all foe vessels in the system,” Ship replied.

“Ask Alda and Bera to stand down. The foe vessels should have a surprise once they try to engage their hyperdrive engines. Have Cala initiate sleep protocol on the vessels in the patrol, collect the data port probes and rendezvous with Alda and Bera. Hey did the foe not notice their patrol was missing?” I said.

“Confirmed. Cala reports that the patrol sent regular reports using the proxy protocol. Cala also reports they are taking the patrol to the far side of Foe-5 and initiating sleep protocol, so the sleeping vessels are not visible on scanners,” said Ship.

“Outstanding work. Please share my appreciation with Cala,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“Ship, Dura, please depart the moon and rendezvous with Alda and Bera at the edge of the system. Take it slowly so we are not detected,” I said. I would have liked to get out of here quicker, but I was trying real hard not let the foe know where we were.

“Confirmed,” x 2. We moved out from our hiding place behind the moon. Jem was watching a view of the township from space. I put an arm around her to comfort her as we left the only other Baglogi we knew of.


Ship and Dura crept along undetected towards our exit. We watched the foe vessels on the tactical display. Their next wave was just reaching the point where they would engage their hyperdrive engines to travel to the Baglogi system. It was a good test of the do not disturb protocol. I hoped it would work, and the foe could not stop it.

Suddenly the red dots on the tactical display representing the next wave all turned grey. Then they changed directions and accelerated. Soon after the foe vessels were gone from the system. I had a good feeling for the near future at least. They could send vessels out to random systems for weeks before they figure out something is not working right.

A while later we arrived at the edge of the system and reunited with Alda and Bera. Cala arrived soon afterwards.

“Ship, Alda, Bera, Cala and Dura, I am extremely pleased with your performance on this mission. Thank you. Ship, please take the fleet back to Baglogi,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Ship. Soon after we engaged our hyperdrive engines.

“Estimated time to fleet arrival in Baglogi system is four days,” said Ship.


Travel back to the Baglogi system was an uneventful four days. On the fourth day we appeared in the system and were greeted by Molly.

“Welcome back to the Baglogi system. In your absence we have had no visitors,” said Molly.

“That is good news. We have done our best to make sure you don’t get further unwanted visitors from the foe system. Please note that the last wave they tried to send was about forty foe vessels. I do not expect you to see a wave of more than that number, so please design your system defences to handle about that many vessels,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Molly.

“Ship, please share with Molly how we could inject via the foe communications network. It may be of benefit,” I ordered.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.

“Alda, Bera, Cala and Dura, I am transferring you to Molly to serve in defence of this system. I expect your contribution to be significant. Molly, these are capable vessels. Please use them however will fit into your plans,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Molly. The four unmanned vessels moved off to take on their new duties.

“Take us to an orbit around Baglogi-4 please,” I said.

“Confirmed,” said Ship.


“Jem, Koluna, I have a little side mission for us. With the system secure for the foreseeable future, I thought it would be nice for us to visit the planet below. I have accommodation down on the surface. We can take a shuttle down and spend a day or two there,” I said. Both smiled at me.

“I’d love to do that,” said Jem.

“It would be a nice change to being aboard Ship while you two have all the fun,” said Koluna.

We had little preparation to do, just grab a few things and meet at the shuttle. I piloted the shuttle down to the settlement I had asked Molly create while we were away. The site was perfect, a beautiful lake surrounded by a green valley. I landed the shuttle near to the habitation units.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close