Arkadia - Cover

Arkadia

Copyright© 2020 by SunSeeker

Chapter 1

Bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,, bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,, bzzt bzzt bzzt,,,,

Damn cell phone alarm! I grabbed my cell phone and shut the alarm off, thankful to stop that awful sound. I used that sound as it was a sure-fire way to wake me up and get me moving in the morning. This morning I was meeting my parents at the Confederacy CAP Testing Center in town. The government had made CAP testing mandatory last year and today was the last day for those who hadn’t been tested to get tested. We had 8 am appointments hence my waking up at 6 am.

I didn’t know if I’d volunteer or not if I got better than the 6.5, and Mom and Dad weren’t going to volunteer no matter what score they got as they wanted to keep our company open and keep the R&D going that will help Earth fight off the Swarm.

The 3 of us own Arkadia Research and Development with offices and labs in several countries doing development and research of everything from pharma to tech, to space travel. We’d started a Weapons R&D department shortly after the government first shared the news about the Swarm invasion coming.

While I figured I’d get better than the 6.5 needed to be a sponsor, I wanted some questions answered before “volunteering”. Namely how long was I volunteering for, what exactly was I volunteering for, and what happens when I no longer wanted to be a volunteer?

I tried looking on the internet for the answers but there was nothing available. Not even any kind of listing of positions you could apply for. The only info I could find was that you were volunteering to fight the Swarm for the Confederacy and you get a number of “concubines”, the number dependant on your CAP score.

I don’t know what they are using to determine the scores though as MANY people turned into complete assholes after getting a 6.5 or better. Oh well, I’ll have to see if anyone at the Testing Center can answer the questions for me.

Ok, the coffee maker is starting so time to for a shower, a quick breakfast, coffee, and then head to the Testing Center.

I’m drying off and hear the “Van Halen Beautiful Girls” ring tone telling me someone was calling. I figured this early it had to be Mom making sure I was awake. I’m 22 and in the last year of University getting my Business/Engineering degrees in a few months, yet Mom still feels the need to check up on me. I guess Moms will always be Moms. Yep, I see on my screen its Mom.

“Hi Mom, yes I’m awake.”

“Good morning to you too DeDeus. Are you nervous about the testing? Remember to ask if you have any doubts or questions. You know what your father and I think about the lack of information but you know we will support you whatever your decision is.”

“I know you will Mom. You and Dad have supported me in all my decisions and I love you both for that.”

“Just for that dear?” Mom laughingly replied.

“Well, you did name me DeDeus, Mom. You guys couldn’t give me a normal name,” I laughed back.

My parents had been told that Mom would probably never be able to have a child, so when 5 years into their marriage I was conceived, they decided to name me DeDeus, calling me their “gift from God.”

My parents, John and Janine Sanderson, met in their last year of high school and have been together ever since. Both are highly intelligent, outside-the-box thinkers, who loved seeing if they could make “ideas” a reality, and so they started their own small R&D Company immediately after getting their degrees. Quite a few “ideas” have since become a reality and the company took off, becoming what is today.

One last look to make sure the coffee pot is turned off, rinse the cereal bowl out and put it in the sink, and then I’m out the door.

The 3 of us meet in the parking lot and head into the CAP Testing Center where we’re greeted by a nice looking female Corporal with the nametag Connors.

“Good morning ma’am, sirs, I take it you are here for your CAP test. Please give me your names and I’ll get you started. If you have any questions we can go over them after your test has been completed.”

“John and Janine Sanderson, and this is our son, DeDeus.”

“Sandersons, John, Janine and DeDeus, 8 am appointments. DeDeus? That is an unusual name. If you will come with me I’ll put you in a testing room. When you are finished please follow the small yellow arrows on the walls back to this reception area.”

The Corporal places me in the first room and tells me she will be right back to explain what will happen. She then takes Mom and Dad to their testing rooms.

Returning, the Corporal has me sit back in a very comfortable recliner, putting it in a ¾ reclined position, so while I’m not laid flat as if in a bed, I am extremely comfortable. She turns the lights down and says the test will begin in a few minutes as she leaves closing the door behind her.

The next thing I knew the lights got brighter and a voice informs me the test was over and to follow the yellow arrows back to the reception area where I would be given my CAP card.

Wow, I don’t remember a single thing about the test. Wondering how long the test was I look at my watch and I see it’s 11:35. What the? The test took close to 3.5 hours? Damn, I wonder how I did. How did Mom and Dad do? I guess the only way to find out is to follow the yellow arrows so that’s what I did.

I got back to the reception area and it was still as empty as when I arrived. I go up to the Corporal and ask if Mom and Dad were still testing.

“No, they finished about 40 minutes ago. Both did very well with scores of 8.2 and 8.8 respectively.”

“Here is yours. Wow, a 9.2! Congratulations that is an excellent score! Are you going to volunteer for the Confederacy?”

“I have some questions I need answers to before thinking about volunteering. Can you tell me how long I’d be volunteering for, what exactly am I volunteering for, and what happens when my term of service ends and I no longer want to be a volunteer? I tried looking on the internet for the answers but there was nothing available. Not even any kind of listing of positions I could apply for.”

The Corporal laughs, “That is almost exactly what your parents said. I have no answers for you either DeDeus, sorry. Your parents didn’t volunteer so I guess you won’t be either?”

“Is there any way to find out? Is there anyone else that can answer my questions?”

The Corporal gets a blank look on her face then looks at me, “I was asking the AI if it can answer your questions.”

A voice responds “in regards to your questions the answer is it’s up to the Confederacy.”

“That’s the Testing Center AI” the Corporal informs me.

“That’s the answer to my questions Mr. AI? The Confederacy wants an endless contract? Thanks but no thanks. No way will I volunteer with a contract that is that one-sided.”

“Sorry, we couldn’t answer your questions, DeDeus. Oh yeah, your parents said to meet them at their restaurant.”

“Thanks, Cpl. Connors,” I say as I turn and head to the exit.

I’m almost at the exit when I hear the Corporal yell, “DeDeus, DeDeus hold on a minute I’m getting some info that might involve your parents.”

I walk back to the Corporal and see her staring into space again. I guess she’s talking to the AI again.

The Corporal gets a very sad look on her face, “DeDeus, I am so sorry to tell you that your parents were just killed by Earth Firsters during an extraction.”

I am stunned and shocked. “How the hell did that happen?”

“Your parents were targeted for extraction because of their scores and when the Confederacy Marines entered the restaurant and the interdiction field went up, about half the people in the restaurant stood up and started shooting at everyone, not caring if they were Confederacy or not. 6 Marines, 32 civilians, and 18 Earth Firsters were killed. Many more were wounded and taken to Lunar Base Tranquility.”

I am still stunned and say nothing for a couple minutes, then ask if I can use my cell phone to make a call.

“Sure DeDeus go ahead.”

I call Mark, the head of Security for Arkadia R&D. “Mark this is DD. Call in all Security personnel and tighten security immediately, no non-employees are allowed into any company building or property, etc, etc, you know what to do.”

I raise my voice a little so the Corporal is sure to hear, “Mark, Mom and Dad have just been killed in an extraction and the Confederacy are responsible. Contact Legal about potential lawsuits against the Confederacy. I’m trying to find out exactly what happened but I was told by the Confederacy that my parents did not volunteer however for some reason the Confederacy targeted them for extraction anyways. Also, contact Dean and have him take over running the company in my parents’ place. I can’t say at the moment exactly how long but I would like him to stay at the helm for the foreseeable future. Please have him inform the employees about my parents’ deaths as soon as possible so they don’t hear it from the news.”

“Yes Mark, I will keep you informed if I find out anything. Thanks, Mark, I’ll get through this eventually but as you know my parents always said to “take care of the living first” so that’s what I’m going to do. Find out why and how this happened and go from there.”

I close the call with Mark and turn back to the Corporal.

“Corporal, can you tell me why my parents were targeted for extraction when they DIDN’T VOLUNTEER for the Confederacy.”

“I am so sorry DeDeus. I don’t know. They shouldn’t have been.”

“Can I talk to someone that would know?”

“AI can you explain to DeDeus what happened and why his parents were targeted for extraction?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close