Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 30: Ori Major

I checked in with Jem.

“Commodore, I believe we’ve locked all the suspects in their cabins, or else they’re dead. We’ve got things under control here.”

“Good work, Captain. You can enjoy a quiet ride for the rest of the journey.”

“I hope so. Thanks to Yuhi for locating that last one. They seem to be hidden from internal sensors.”

“I wish I knew how they avoid the sensors. We might improve the sensors.”

“I agree, but I doubt they’ll tell us. I’d rather keep them locked down until we arrive.”

“Understood, Captain. We’ve got about a day until we arrive. Keep me updated,” she said before the call ended.

I turned to Mart Narvy.

“We’ve got all suspects locked up in their cabins until we arrive.”

“Yes, Captain. Thank you, Sir! We’re not equipped to handle this sort of trouble.”

“I’ll ask Saria to keep the security detail on alert until we arrive. We can’t let our guard down at this point.”

“Yes, Sir. Do you need to rest? I can arrange for a cabin for you.”

“That would be nice.”

I followed Mart Narvy while I called Saria.

“Saria, any updates?” I asked.

“No, Captain. I think we got them all.”

“I’m going to get some rest. Find me in a few hours and I’ll take a shift. I want one of us on duty until we reach our destination.”

“Understood, Captain.”

I closed the call as we arrived at a cabin.

“I hope this will suffice,” said Mart Narvy.

“Yes, thank you. Please have Saria wake me in a few hours,” I said.

“Yes, Captain.”

I entered the cabin, and he left.


Sometime later, I awoke to the sound of the door chime. I rose and opened the door to face Saria and Cathy.

“Captain, it’s time for your shift,” said Saria.

“Thank you. Commander.”

I stepped out into the corridor. Saria and Cathy entered the cabin.

The door closed, leaving me facing a security person.

“Hello. Let’s walk,” I said.

We wandered along the corridors, ending up at the bridge. It surprised me that no one was on duty here.

I called Ship on my communicator. “Ship, I’m in their bridge. Please report on all the captive suspects.”

“No change, Captain. All but one suspect are in their cabins. Yuhi reports that the one we can’t detect on sensors is in passenger luggage storage hold 7-B.”

“Thank you, Ship. And thank you to Yuhi.”

I closed the call and turned to the security person.

“Let’s check on the engineering section.”

“Yes, Captain.”

The security person and I left the bridge.


Our walk to the engineering section was uneventful. Sirg was off duty, and only he and I had access. The engines were running without issue, so we left.

“I’m glad the engineering section is quiet, like it should be,” said the security person.

“Yes. It confirms we’ve all the relevant suspects locked down. We just keep them confined until we arrive, and we can hand this problem over to the authorities,” I said.

We patrolled the corridors for about two hours. It was nighttime aboard the Flbumtom, and most of the passengers and crew were asleep, which made our job easier.

Ship called me.

“Captain, we’re reaching the border with the Ori Confederation.”

“Excellent. Please contact their nearest security patrol and explain the situation. I’ll be on the bridge in case they need to talk with me.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship before closing the call.

I turned to my security person.

“Back to the bridge,” I said.

We turned and walked back towards the bridge.


I sat in the Captain’s chair in the bridge. My security person stood to the side, unsure of what to do. I smiled. Ship controlled the transport remotely. I had nothing to do except sit here and look impressive.

About a minute later, the main display came on. Jem was facing me. I could see Laine standing beside her.

“Captain,” she said.

“Commodore,” I replied.

The security person jumped, as I had pressed no buttons or otherwise made a call. He was instantly at attention.

“The security patrol said we can proceed without an escort. We offered to escort your vessel to Ori Major, and we got clearance to escort you to your destination.”

I grinned.

“Our reputation precedes us.”

“Quite. We should deliver you to their orbital space dock within an hour.”

“Everything is quiet here. We’ve got all suspects locked down. Saria and Cathy are getting some rest.”

“I’ll contact Ori security forces to meet your vessel at the space dock, where you can hand it over to them.”

“We’ll be ready, Commodore.”

The screen went blank.

“Captain, should I wake the first officer?” asked my security person.

“That’s a good idea. He will need to have answers for the Ori security forces.”

“Yes, Sir!”

He pressed some keys on a nearby console.


Soon, the first officer, Saria, and Cathy arrived.

Saria helped Mart Narvy prepare his report for the authorities.

I spoke to Cathy.

“How was this mission? We saved about two hundred passengers.”

“It was amazing, Captain.”

“I hope to get away once we hand over to the Ori security forces.”

“Yes, Sir!”

Soon we approached the orbital space dock in orbit above Ori Major. That we hadn’t encountered more trouble surprised me.

“Mart Narvy,” I said.

“Yes, Captain?”

“Perhaps you should supervise the docking.”

“Yes, Captain. I’d like that.”

He took a position at a console. I called Ship on my communicator.

“Ship, my first officer will supervise the docking. Please return control to the Flbumtom helm.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. I closed the call and nodded at Mart Narvy.

“This vessel is now under your control,” I said.

He pulled up a view of the planet below on the main display. The rumbling from the engines ceased, and the automated docking systems handled the last bit of our journey. I felt a slight jolt as we docked, then systems throughout the passenger transport shut down.

“Captain, we’re now docked above Ori Major,” he said.

“Excellent. We should meet with the Ori security forces,” I said.


Mart Narvy and I walked towards the docking airlock, followed by Saria and Cathy. When we arrived, the Flbumtom crew were preparing to open the airlock.

The outer hatch opened, and several Ori security forces stepped through. Lieutenant Commander Rhan followed and walked up to me.

“Welcome back to Ori Major, Captain,” he said. He looked to me as the highest ranking and perhaps as a famous person.

“It’s good to see you again, Lieutenant Commander. We answered their distress call and helped bring the Flbumtom home.”

Lieutenant Commander Rhan smiled.

“It’s fortunate you were around. All these passengers owe you their lives.”

“I’d rather not have them know that. May I introduce you to Mart Narvy, the first officer and highest ranking officer aboard the Flbumtom,” I said, while gesturing towards my first officer.

Lieutenant Commander Rhan and Mart Narvy shook hands.

“Lieutenant Commander, I have a report for you. We locked all the suspected assassins and saboteurs in their cabins. I can guide your security forces to collect them,” he said.

“That will be excellent. We’ll also need a manifest. I’ll arrange a checkpoint at this airlock to process out the passengers.”

The Ori security forces were busy. I gathered my crew.

“Excuse me, Lieutenant Commander Rhan. We’ll return to our vessel via our shuttle. Acting Captain Mart Narvy, permission to disembark.”

Mart Narvy looked a little shocked, while Lieutenant Commander Rhan grinned. “Acting Captain??”

“Exactly. You followed protocols, sent the distress call, and worked with us to get your vessel back safely. I’m sure that Lieutenant Commander Rhan will include that in his report.”

He gulped. “Permission granted, Captain. Thank you!”

I nodded once more to Lieutenant Commander Rhan (still grinning), then led my crew back to the shuttle bay.

Soon, we stepped into the shuttle. Cathy sat in the pilot seat. I sat with Saria in seats behind her.

“Take us back to Ship.”

“Yes, Captain.”

The outer shuttle bay opened, and we left the Flbumtom for the last time.


Cathy piloted the shuttle towards Ship, and into the shuttle bay. The outer door closed and the shuttle bay re-pressurized. Then, we left the shuttle and entered decontamination.

As we exited decontamination, we met Jem and Laine, who were waiting to see us.

“Welcome back, Captain,” said Jem with a smile.

“Thank you, Commodore. I suggest we remain here for a few days. There’ll likely be communications to deal with in due course.”

“Agreed. Perhaps we can share a meal together before we get some rest,” she said.

I nodded.

We walked to the main dining lounge together. Once there, we each got our choice from the food dispenser and sat down at our usual table.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close