Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 31: Vanjen System

After my meeting with Tony, I returned to the shuttle. I had no reason to stay on the planet any longer than necessary.

Cathy stood as I entered the shuttle, which I found mildly amusing. We weren’t a military organization, with a strict discipline.

“Sorry to keep you waiting. We can return to Ship,” I said.

“Yes, Captain.”

She turned to her console and started her pre-flight checks. We soon left the surface for our return journey. It surprised me she didn’t question me about my meeting.

As we ascended into orbit, I pulled up some star charts on a display, looking for the location of the Vanjen system. It wasn’t too far by our standards.

The next time I looked up, we were on final approach with Ship. The shuttle quietly entered the shuttle bay, the outer door closed, and the bay pressurized. Cathy shut down the shuttle, and we stood.

“Thank you for your service, Cathy.”

“You’re welcome, Captain. I enjoy this. It’s fun to pilot the shuttle.”

I smiled. I used to enjoy being a shuttle pilot myself.

“Let’s go through decontamination and meet with the others.”

We exited the shuttle.


We all met in the main dining lounge, seated around our usual table.

“I just met the father of the assassinated passenger on the Flbumtom. He’s the head of a large trading conglomerate,” I said.

“Oh? And what did he want, Captain?” asked Jem.

“He said enemies seek to extort him by targeting his family. Then he asked me if we could check on his daughter. He fears for her safety.”

“We’re not in the personal protection business,” said Jem.

“Agreed. He said she is in the Vanjen system. If they sent assassins there, it could mean trouble for the colony. I suggested we visit as part of our patrol.”

“I see. If there were pirates attacking a colony, that fits our mandate.”

“What if we arrive and she’s not in trouble?” asked Laine.

“I’d suggest relocation, to somewhere her anonymity would protect her.”

“It reduces the chance of trouble in the Vanjen system,” said Jem.

“So, can we add the Vanjen system to our patrol route?”

“Approved. Ship, add the Vanjen system as the next stop on our route. There might be an urgency,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Captain, we can update her ID chip to hide her identity,” said Laine.

“Good idea, Laine. I think we’ve concluded our business here at Ori Major. Ship, get departure clearance and take us to our next destination.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.


The next day, we were on our way towards the Vanjen system. Jem met me at my cabin and we went for a walk. We wandered together along corridors on various decks.

“How are you holding up, Captain?” she asked.

“Not bad, Commodore. It bothers me we missed the assassins killing that passenger on the transport. I’m glad we rescued the vessel and all the remaining passengers and crew.”

“Yes. Too bad we didn’t interrogate the suspects ourselves. I hope the Ori security forces have more luck getting answers.”

“I doubt they will. Several suspects died before Ori security interrogated them.”

“You should have rendered them unconscious in their cabins. I hadn’t expected they’d kill themselves rather than reveal any secrets,” she said.

“Who says they killed themselves?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. Jem looked at me, then shrugged.

We walked on the cargo deck and passed the doors to a cargo bay. I wondered what junk was in there.

“We live and learn. If you encounter others like this, treat them differently.”

“Yes, Commodore.”

“Let’s hope we don’t come upon more assassins.”

“Agreed. I wonder what’s so important for them. Is it just about money?”

“Money or power. A trading conglomerate would provide both if used in the wrong hands.”

“Then it’s to our advantage they don’t fall into the wrong hands.”

“Agreed, Captain. Hopefully, we find nothing in the Vanjen system.”

“With our luck, that’s unlikely.”

“Unfortunately, I believe you’re right.”


Two days later, our hyper-drive went offline as we arrived at the Vanjen system. We studied the tactical display on the main bridge.

“Attention, we’ve arrived at the Vanjen system,” said Ship.

“Ship, please send out cloaked probes and take us in. Contact their system control to announce our arrival,” I said. I looked at Jem, who nodded slightly in response.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

The tactical display populated with data on the system: one occupied planet, the third one from the star, and no other traffic.

“Seems mostly harmless,” said Saria.

“Agreed. We’ll be visiting the colony on Vanjen three. I’ll take you and Cathy with me.”

“We’ll be ready,” she said, holding up her laser carbine in front of her. I wondered if she slept with her weapon?

“I don’t want to harm any civilians. This is an Ori colony, an ally of ours.”

She smiled. I didn’t believe she’d ever be a problem. She was more of a problem solver. But she could be scary.

“Attention, Captain. I have clearance to assume an orbit around Vanjen three,” said Ship.

“Thank you, Ship. Take us in.”


While Ship moved into orbit, Saria, Cathy, and I went and suited up. Then we entered the shuttle bay.

“Cathy, thank you for transporting us to the surface,” I said.

“No worries, Captain. It’s my job.”

“I used to be a shuttle pilot before you. If you’re ever too busy...”

“We’re wasting time, Captain. Please enter the shuttle.”

I glanced at Saria, whose face showed no expression. I shrugged, and we all stepped through the airlock.

Cathy took her seat in the pilot’s seat and performed the pre-flight checks. I sat in the co-pilot’s seat, but kept my hands off the controls.

Soon, we departed from Ship and descended towards the planet. The view of the planet from space was breathtaking.

“Saria, what can you tell me about this colony?” I asked.

“It’s an Ori colony. Ori laws apply here. They should know us from the Ori news-vids.”

I nodded. Nothing special then.

Cathy contacted the colony to alert them of our pending arrival.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, and we touched down on a landing pad at their spaceport.

As we stepped out of the airlock, two officials greeted us.

“Welcome to Vanjen three. Please present your arms so we can scan your ID,” said one official. His tone was friendly.

We held out our arms, and the other official scanned our ID chips using a hand-held scanner. He shared the results with his colleague.

“Captain Brian, your visit to our humble colony honours us. How can we be of service?”

“I’m searching for someone. She goes by the name Isabella.”

“She works in the cantina a few blocks away. I can escort you there myself.”

“Thank you. That’s most helpful.”


We left the spaceport and walked with the official. He looked at us with admiration showing on his face.

“You don’t get many visitors here?” I asked.

“You’d think so, Captain. Most days we get none, but today you’re our second.”

“So, a busy day for you?”

“Yes.”

“And where is the other visitor?”

“They already left. They got a call from their vessel and had to leave in a hurry. It wasn’t long before you arrived.”

Saria looked at me with concern. We all stopped, and I turned to face the official.

“This other visitor. What was his business?”

“I don’t know. They didn’t say.”

“Did they go in this direction?” I asked and gestured ahead of us.

“Well, yes, they went that way.”

I looked at Saria as she lifted her laser carbine into a ready position.

“Double time!” I said.

We ran along the street. The official struggled to keep up with us.

“Is it something I said??”

I ignored his question. I could see a sign above the cantina, just a block ahead.

A moment later, chaos ensued as the cantina exploded! Debris flew outward. The force of the explosion knocked us backwards from a block away.

Dust filled the air, making it hard to see anything. I used the mask built into the away team uniform so I could breathe and not choke.

Saria kept a defensive posture to my right, while Cathy crouched on my left. I called Ship.

“There was an explosion on the surface. We suffered no casualties, but I can’t say for the colonists. Can you detect any other vessels in the system?”

“No other vessels detected, Captain.”

I’d lost sight of the official. He wasn’t my concern, anyway.

“Saria, search for survivors.” I said.

“Yes, Captain!”

She left into the cloud of dust. I turned to Cathy.

“Cathy, are you alright?”

“Yes, Captain. I’m just shook up a little.”

“You can return to the shuttle. It looks like the assassins beat us to it,” I said.

“No, Captain. I’ll stay here with you. They might need our help.”

I stood next to Cathy in the middle of the street, waiting for the dust to settle. If we’d arrived here any sooner, we might have stopped this from happening. Or we could’ve been victims of the explosion ourselves.

Gradually, several Ori approached, looking shocked.

A female Ori drew my attention. She stood looking towards the cantina, hands by her side. Her expression blank.

“Hello, can you tell me your name?” I asked.

“My name’s Isabella. I work at the cantina. I was just returning from a delivery,” she mumbled.

She just stood, looking at the destruction.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close