Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 32: Platiado System

Three days later, we dropped out of hyperspace at our next destination. Jem, Saria, and I were in the main bridge, studying the tactical display.

“Saria, you’re on tactical, weapons, and shields. Ship, send out probes to scan the system,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. Saria was already at her console and smirked at me. Of course, she was ready.

We waited for about half an hour. Saria had her finger ready to unleash death on whoever we discovered. Hopefully, it was the assassins.

“Attention, my scans are complete. No signs of other vessels. No ion trails, and no inhabited planets,” said Ship.

“Crap!” said Jem.

“These villains are sneaky. I bet they dropped out of hyperspace part-way and changed course.”

“Then how do we find them, Captain?” asked Saria.

“Much as I’d love to find you a target, Lieutenant, we don’t. If we don’t know where they dropped out, we’ll never find them. The trail will have gone cold long before we discovered where they dropped out.”

“It’s an old smuggler trick, to throw enemies off your track,” said Jem.

“It worked. So what are your orders, Commodore?” I asked.

“We resume our patrol route. Ship, select a system nearby to visit.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

Ship changed course out of this uninhabited system. Soon, we jumped to hyperspace. It frustrated me to let the assassins escape, and I vowed to catch them next time.


A few days later, our hyper-drive went offline as we arrived at our next destination.

Everyone except Alea was in the main bridge, studying the tactical display.

I glanced at Yuhi.

“Alea is in her cabin,” said Yuhi in my head.

I nodded.

“Ship, please tell us about this system,” I said.

“This is the Platiado system. The third planet has a non space-faring race. They’re aware of other races and are friendly.”

“How old is your data? How long ago did a Baglogi vessel visit?” I asked.

“A little over two Baglogi centuries, Captain.”

A lot could have happened since then. Best to be cautious.

“Ship, please send out cloaked probes and take us in. Contact system control to announce our arrival,” I said. I looked at Jem, who nodded slightly in response.

“Confirmed.”

Data on the system populated the tactical display. It showed no other vessels in the system.

“Ship, take us to an orbit around the third planet.”

“Confirmed.”


Later, we reached orbit around the planet. The tactical display showed a view of the planet below.

“Commodore, have you ever been here?” I asked.

“No, Captain.”

“Captain, there’s no single planetary government. There are two continents: West and East. Each has invited us to visit,” said Ship.

“So we visit both. Saria, Cathy, Yuhi, please meet me at the shuttle bay in half an hour.”

Jem smiled. Laine fiddled with her console.

Satisfied, I left the main bridge. I went to visit Alea in her cabin. Her door was closed, so I rang the door chime.

A moment later, Alea greeted me with a smile.

“Captain.”

“Alea, I’m about to visit a planet. They’re less advanced, but you’re likely to be safer there.”

“Will I get a say in the matter?”

“Yes. So would they. But I have to see if it’s suitable before you get your say.”

“Oh, yes, understood. Thank you for informing me.”

“You can ask Ship about the planet while I’m away.”

We both smiled, then she closed her door, and I left for the shuttle bay.

I changed into my away team uniform and arrived at the shuttle bay to see Yuhi, Saria, and Cathy. We smiled and nodded, then entered the shuttle.

Cathy sat in the pilot’s seat.

“Captain, I have the navigation coordinates for both continents.”

“Fine. Take us to the West continent first.”

The shuttle bay depressurized and the outer door opened. We were on our way.

Looking down from above, about forty percent of the planet’s surface was land, which formed a large single land mass that wrapped around the equator. We descended towards the Western side.

I looked at Yuhi.

“What can you sense from the West continent?” I asked psychically.

“It’s too distant to sense a threat, but I’ll monitor them.”

I nodded.

We descended toward their spaceport, watching the ground approach us. Cathy landed the shuttle gently on the landing pad.

“Good job, Cathy,” I said.

She grinned back at me.

“We’ve got company,” said Saria. She stood outside the airlock.

I stepped outside to view our hosts. Three beings stood near to our shuttle.

“Welcome to Western Platiado. Please come with us,” said a tall female. She was slightly taller than an Ori.

I gestured for everyone, including Cathy, to move out.

We walked with our hosts from the spaceport and across a large courtyard to a rather ostentatious building. I hoped Saria didn’t wave her laser carbine around too much and bother our hosts.

They escorted us into a large meeting room. We took seats on one side of a table, and they sat facing us.

“Once again, welcome. What brings you to our world?” asked the tall female.

“My name is Brian, Captain of the Baglogi vessel. We patrol this area of the galaxy, including your system. Although we don’t interfere in internal issues, we sometimes help against space pirates and those who might cause trouble.”

“So, you are peacekeepers?” she asked with a smile.

“Yes.”

“You don’t involve yourselves with internal disputes?”

“Normally, the worlds we visit have a single government, and take care of their own business. We did, however, get an invitation from East. I could mediate a dispute, but anything I say or do isn’t binding.”

The smile dropped from her face.

“We’ve some issues with East, but we can handle that ourselves. In fact, if you took sides with the East, we might take offence. I also can’t guarantee your safety if you travelled there.”

“Well, that’s good to know. What are the disputes over? Territory?” I asked.

“No, resources. They want our resources and aren’t willing to trade for them.”

“Understood. I intend for the Baglogi to remain neutral on all issues.”

“In that case, we wish you good travels.”

I realized our discussions concluded. We all stood and returned to the spaceport.

“I wonder what resources are worth arguing over?” asked Cathy, as we entered the shuttle.

“I don’t know. Perhaps we’ll find out at our next destination.”

Soon after, we left the Western Platiado spaceport. We took a high altitude path, so as not to confuse any anti-aircraft defences.

I called Jem. Her face appeared on the display.

“Commodore, we just left the West. They seemed reasonable, but I intend to remain neutral.”

“That’s for the best. Let me know how it goes.”


A while later, our shuttle descended towards the spaceport in Eastern Platiado.

The city looked smaller than our last stop. Also, less fancy looking.

Once again, Cathy landed the shuttle gently on a landing pad.

I touched her on the shoulder. “Thank you again.”

She smiled. We all stood up and followed Saria out of the airlock.

This time, two beings stood waiting to greet us. Their smiles looked genuine, and they were unarmed.

“Welcome to our spaceport. I am ambassador Pouce Rouge. We’ve a place nearby where we can talk.”

He gestured towards a structure near the spaceport. At least we didn’t need to walk far. The building was basic, but functional. It had filtered and cooled air inside. Soon, we all sat in a meeting room.

“How can we help you, Captain?” asked the ambassador.

“My name is Brian, Captain of the Baglogi vessel. We patrol this area of the galaxy, including your system.”

“Welcome to you and your crew. I believe you already visited the West. I hope they didn’t tell you bad stories about us?”

“Not much. Nothing I haven’t heard before on other planets. I understand there are some differences, but not an all-out war.”

“Yes, that accurately sums it up. We use diplomacy. We trade with them when the terms are favourable. Recently, they haven’t been favourable.”

“What items do you trade for?”

“We need raw materials. Metals and ores that we can process into things we need. The West has deposits we don’t have, so we must trade for them.”

“Surely, you have things they don’t that you can trade?” I asked.

“Yes. We offer all we have, but what they demand is unfair.”

“Is what you need from them scarce? Are there reasons for their high prices?”

“Not that scarce. I believe what they ask is unreasonable.”

“Well, I can’t coerce the West to lower their prices, but perhaps we can trade with you. Please tell me what you need, and what you can offer?”

He gave me a list of minerals and metals, and included several crafts and food items they offered.

“May I use another room to communicate with my vessel?”

They promptly escorted me to a nearby room. I called Ship.

“Captain?”

“Ship, please go to the asteroid belt and mine for the following,” I said. I listed the minerals and metals required by Eastern Platiado.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

I closed the call and returned to the meeting room.

As I entered, the ambassador looked expectantly at me.

“Ambassador, I’ve ordered our vessel to gather what you need. It’ll take a day or so.” I said.

“Thank you, Captain! This is outstanding news.”

“Perhaps we can arrange lodging while we wait?” I asked.

“Of course.”

The ambassador spoke to his assistant, who left to make arrangements.

“We don’t interfere in internal matters, but since you’re open to trade with visitors, we can help you. Also, I can’t promise when we’ll return, so this is a onetime deal. I could pass the word on to other races who might visit.”

“That’s most generous, Captain.”

The other being returned. He handed something to the ambassador, who then approached me.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close