Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 34: Uv’ek system

Multiple security details all trained their weapons on Saria, confusion on their faces.

Saria lowered her laser carbine and held a small device in her hand, showing it to Laine.

“The ambassador’s hand has nano-bots on it, the same ones that attacked the Captain.”

Laine checked the readings on the device.

“She’s right! He was going to infect you with more nano-bots,” said Laine.

I took another step back from the fallen ambassador.

“Everyone stand down! He’s only stunned,” said Jem. She looked at Saria for confirmation. Saria nodded.

The other security forces lowered their weapons.

“Can I talk with the security detail for ambassador Hans please?”

The Ori security detail stepped forward. Two of them checked the body while one approached Jem. I noticed Saria scanned the security detail for more nano-bots. She shook her head. No more nano-bots.

“Commodore, what’s going on?” asked the security guard.

“Can you scan the ambassador and check his identity? Also, scan his hand for nano-bots,” said Jem.

“One moment.”

Laine handed a portable scanner to the security officer. He scanned the ambassador’s arm and hand. I stood quietly and watched the events unfold.

The security officer checked with Laine, who confirmed the readings. Then he returned to Jem.

“Commodore, I don’t understand how, but this isn’t the ambassador. His ID chip and DNA don’t match. Also, I can confirm the nano-bots on his hand.”

Jem pretended like it was a regular event.

“Officer. As he is an Ori citizen, please take him into your custody. He just made an attempt on my Captain’s life. I ask you to remove him from this planet immediately.”

The security officer saluted Jem.

“Yes, Commodore. Since he’s not our ambassador, there’s no fallout from stunning him. In fact, you helped us catch an imposter.” The Ori security detail dragged the still unconscious being away.

“Please send my respects to Lieutenant Commander Rhan,” said Jem as they left.

Laine looked at me with obvious concern on her face. Yuhi blinked.

“You got rid of all those harmful nano-bots?” I asked.

“Yes, Captain.”

I sighed.

“Laine, you kept the results of his scan?”

“Yes, Captain.”

“Well, you’ve got a lead there. Follow it up.”

Laine grinned at me.

“You’re amazing!” said Mina. “You arrive, and we had the first attempted murder on this planet.”

I turned to Saria.

“Good job Lieutenant. You best check everyone here, and anything that I might touch.”

“Yes, Sir!” she said with a salute. I left her to her work.


As the situation calmed, I stood, avoiding touching anything.

“What’s happening?” asked Mina.

“Our enemies are getting creative. Those nano-bots are lethal. I nearly died once already from them.”

“I thought we weren’t a target.”

“As the colony grows, you must expand your security forces to match. The system defences should stop an attack from enemy vessels. This attack was on the planet surface.”

She nodded.

“I’ll provide you with a scanner that detects the harmful nano-bots,” said Laine.

“Thank you,” said Mina. “After this excitement, I’m cancelling the social gathering and the tour. Let’s go to our residence where we can talk.”

“Agreed,” said Jem. “Perhaps we can include our ambassador?”

“Of course. Please follow me.”

We all followed Mina and Zune out of the building.


Our crew, except Saria, followed Mina and Zune to their residence. I was careful not to touch anything. Mina said that ambassador Hans hadn’t visited their residence, but I was ultra cautious. I’d ask Laine to make me one of those scanners. I’d wear it whenever I was on an away mission for the foreseeable future.

Finally, Mina, Zune, Ambassador Melyar, and Jem sat on a large sofa. I stood nearby.

“We should be safe here. No one comes here unless invited,” said Mina.

“This is my first time here,” said Melyar. “I can confirm what Mina says.”

I shrugged. This was a mess, and I’d have Saria help tighten up their security before we left.

“This is unacceptable that we should feel unsafe on this planet. The increased traffic here has opened up a security loophole,” I said.

“We just need to develop our own security forces,” said Mina.

“I had hoped you’d be secure here. We failed to provide a safe environment for you to focus on agriculture. I think I have a solution,” said Jem. She called Saria on her communicator. “Lieutenant, once you’re done, please join us at Mina and Zune’s residence.”

“Yes, Commodore! I’ll be there soon.”

Jem turned to Mina.

“I’ll leave Lieutenant Saria with you to develop and train Uv’ek security forces. This is only a temporary assignment. I want her back once she is done here.”

“Thank you, Commodore. It’s not really my specialty, and I was worried about it.”

“Ambassador, could you help us form a local government? Find talented people for the task. I’d like Mina and Zune to focus on leading the agricultural efforts.”

“Of course, Commodore. I know some good candidates back on Oysian Major.”

“Commodore, perhaps I could help with the government,” said Alea.

Jem turned toward Alea.

“I was thinking of this planet as a location for you, but the attack on our Captain distracted me. Talk to our ambassador here. If you can work out a position, you’re welcome to stay here.”

Alea smiled.

Soon, Saria arrived.

“Reporting as ordered, Commodore.”

“At ease, Lieutenant. I need your help. Uv’ek three needs to recruit and train its own security forces. I’d like you to stay here for a temporary assignment to do that.”

“They clearly need it.”

“Will you agree to take on the challenge, Lieutenant?”

“Yes, Commodore. But who will replace me aboard Ship?”

“We’ll struggle without you for now. Once you have things up and running, we’re taking you back.”

Jem called Ship on her communicator.

“Commodore,” said Ship.

“Ship, I’m promoting Saria to Lieutenant Commander, and assigning her to acting chief of Uv’ek security forces.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

Lane walked over to Saria and ran her portable scanner over her arm.

“I’ve updated your ID chip, Lieutenant Commander.”

“Thank you, Ensign.”

“Please coordinate with Mina and ambassador Melyar,” said Jem.

“Yes, Commodore. I’m going to contact the Ori vessel before they leave orbit. Please excuse me.”

“Dismissed.”

Saria saluted and left.

“Cathy, please help Saria fetch whatever she needs from Ship. If she stays, please do the same for Alea,” said Jem.

“Yes, Commodore.”

Cathy left in search of Saria.

I went to the food dispenser and got myself a coffee. I noticed there were new coffee options on the menu.

“Brian, let me show you something,” said Mina. She’d snuck up behind me. She selected multiple options on the menu. Soon, three cups appeared.

“We harvested and roasted some of our coffee, then we scanned it for the food dispenser.”

I sipped from the first cup. This was stronger than my usual coffee.

“Mmm.”

“That’s a dark roast. Try this one.” She handed me the second cup.

I took a sip. This was mild, but nice.

“You’ve been having fun with the coffee.”

“Yes. This third one is your usual coffee.”

I took a sip to compare. The flavour was familiar. I smiled.

“Can you share the new options with Ship?” I asked.

“Of course, Captain.”


Mina approached me, holding a small device.

“Captain, the Dentra ambassador left this for you recently.”

“Thank you,” I said, taking the device from her.

“He said it contained a private message.”

“Do you have somewhere private I can examine the message?”

“Upstairs, on the right.”

I left the others downstairs and went into a spare bedroom. To read the message, I had to scan my ID chip with the device.

A moment later, a miniature image of the princess appeared.

“Captain Brian, most special friend of the monarchy, I bid you greetings and seek your help. Events are happening on Dentra that may cause political instabilities. I ask that you visit Dentra as soon as you can, that we may discuss in person with you.”

The image of the princess faded, and the device deactivated.

Hmm, sounds ominous.

I left the bedroom in search of Jem.


I found everyone downstairs. They all looked at me as I returned.

“Commodore, I received a message from Dentra. They’re asking for our help.”

“Understood. We’ll go there next. As members of the Baglogi alliance, we answer their calls for help,” she said.

“Agreed.”

I fetched myself another coffee and took a seat on the sofa next to Yuhi.

Mina and Jem were talking, and I’d had enough for now. I needed to relax, so I leaned back my head and tuned out their talk.

A while later, Yuhi prodded me.

“Captain, time to go. Cathy has returned with the shuttle,” said Jem.

“Huh? Oh yes, time to go.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close