Star Guardian 4 - Cover

Star Guardian 4

Copyright© 2021 by Duncan7

Chapter 38: Wedding

Security guards escorted me from the palace, only this time as a prisoner rather than an honoured guest. They were apologetic, but they had their orders, and I didn’t plan to get them in trouble.

The ground transport arrived at a detention complex and we got out. They processed me in, which took longer than usual because everyone wanted to meet me and thank me for my service to Dentra.

Finally, they put me in a cell. As a VIP prisoner, I got a cell to myself. It was a lot smaller than my suite in the palace. I lay down on the cot to rest.

I soon got accustomed to life in a cell. My cabin aboard Ship wasn’t much bigger. I imagined I was off duty in my cabin.

The evening of the next day, I got a psychic call from Jem (with Yuhi’s help).

“Brian, how are you?” She asked.

“Good, thanks. Still a few days until the wedding.” I didn’t want to share my troubles with them. Dentra was an ally and part of the Baglogi alliance. I couldn’t have my crew try to break me out of detention.

“We’re visiting an unnamed system. Cathy asked to name it.”

“Excellent. Please keep in touch. I miss the adventures.”

“We will. We miss you too.” The connection ended.

A day later, I got a visitor. Princess Nazira arrived.

“How are you keeping, Brian?”

“I’ve been better, but at least I’m still on Dentra.”

“I’m so sorry you’re in here. It’s just until we get this resolved. The Gober ambassador approached the government and went around me. I’ve shared your story on the news holo-vids. The people are overwhelmingly in favour of keeping you, rather than handing you over.”

“What can you do? I can’t ask Dentra to break their alliance with Gober for me.”

“Dentra wants you more than an alliance with Gober.”

“Promise me you won’t break the alliance with Gober. When is the hearing?”

“I’ve also assigned my best counsel. They’ve pushed it back two weeks while they review the charges.”

“Will they be coming to see me? I’d like to see the charges and share my side of the story.”

“Of course.”

We talked for a while longer before she left.


“So, the inhabitants are non space-faring?” asked Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Does that mean I get to name the system?” asked Cathy.

“Sure, tell Ship what you want to name it.”

“Ship, I name this system Bubba.”

Yuhi blinked.

“Confirmed. Updating all navigation charts for the Bubba system.”

“Why that name, Cathy?” asked Jem.

“It’s an Earth joke. Bubba is a guy who drives a large truck. By truck, I mean a personal ground transport.”

“Very well. Ship, retrieve your drones and take us to our next destination.”

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Cathy and Yuhi, it’s your turn to prepare dinner tonight.”

“Sure,” said Cathy.

Yuhi blinked.


The next day, Nazira visited me again, all excited.

“Brian, I’ve got news for you. The polls are in favour of keeping you and sending the Gobers packing.”

I placed my hands on her shoulders to gain her full attention.

“No! Don’t do that. I’ll return to Gober rather than have Dentra and Gober break their alliance.”

“Don’t say that, Brian! We need you. I need you.”

“But if I go willingly, the Baglogi vessel can later rescue me. Dentra won’t be to blame.”

“I can’t let them take you. I don’t know what they’ll do to you. Even if you later escape, you cannot return here.”

“Find another way. Surely you haven’t exhausted all the options?”

“The Gobers are steadfast in their position. They want you.”

“Talk to the Gober ambassador in private. Discover what they really want. Explain that I’m not it. Offer them something better.”

“Huh?”

“Remind them how unwilling I am. I’ll not marry their Empress. I’ll cause endless trouble for them.”

She looked thoughtful. Soon after, she left me alone in my cell.

I hoped she came up with something soon.


Cathy met Laine in the lido for a swim. They left towels on the nearby recliners and got into the pool.

“How was naming a system?” asked Laine.

“That was fun. I’ll prepare names for other systems.”

“Maybe I’ll think of some too. I’m sure we’ll find more unnamed systems.”

They swam lengths for a while.

“I wonder what Brian is doing?” asked Cathy.

“Commodore said he’s getting married soon. They have lots of official dinners and public appearances.”

“He probably put on weight with all that fancy food.”

“No doubt,” said Laine.

They continued swimming lengths. Later, Cathy fetched some cool drinks from the food dispenser. They sat near the pool and sipped their drinks.

“This lido is amazing. Did Brian create this for you?”

“I think he’d say he built it for everyone, although I like to think he built it for me. It enhances the quality of our life when travelling between systems,” replied Laine.

“And he built the garden for Mina, and the shooting range for Saria.”

“Pretty much. Everyone benefits from his creations.”

“Then I hope he returns soon.”


The princess entered the throne room. She climbed a small dais and sat on the throne.

“Send in the qualified candidates,” she said.

Eight Dentra males entered the throne room and stood in a row before her. Each were tall, burly, and handsome.

“You all volunteered for this? For one of you, it may be a lifetime commitment.”

“Yes, your highness,” they all said aloud.

“And you fully understand the mission asked of you and accept it of your free will?”

“Yes, your highness.”

“This is your last chance to withdraw. No one will think badly of you.”

She waited. No one moved.

“Very well. Raise your right hand. By doing so, you swear to serve Dentra with your lives if needed.”

They each raised their right hands. Behind each candidate, a palace staff approached and placed an ornate cloak on each.

“I have created a new order of the Knights of Dentra. We grant each of you the title of Knight of Dentra. With it, you gain a small amount of land and a modest stipend from the royal treasury.”

The swearing in ceremony ended. Eight new Knights of Dentra stood before her.

“Please wait here, my loyal Knights.”

“Yes, your highness,” they all said.

“Steward, please send in the Gober ambassador...”


I lost track of the days that passed. I expected my counsel to visit and review the Gober charges. How long until the hearing? I was in the dark.

Finally, Nazira arrived. She entered my cell and hugged me.

“Brian, I have terrific news!”

“You didn’t break the alliance with Gober?”

“No. Gober dropped the charges against you. Although I wouldn’t suggest you visit Gober ever, they no longer want you.”

“Fantastic news!”

“This also means we can leave this cell together and return to the palace. Let’s go home.”

She gestured toward the open doorway. I stepped through and we left together.

From the looks on the guards faces, someone had told them. I received congratulations and respect from everybody. Soon, they processed me out of the detention complex and into a ground transport.

“It turned out the Gobers needed someone with a title. You were unwilling, so I found someone more willing to go,” she said.

“I hope they have a good life on Gober Prime.”

“I hope so too. He volunteered as a service to Dentra.”

“And a service to me. His sacrifice bought my freedom.”

Soon, we arrived at the palace.


The hyper drive went offline and Ship decelerated to sub-light speed.

“Attention, we’ve arrived at the Yastri system,” said Ship.

Everyone was on the main bridge, watching the tactical display light up with a view of the system.

“Ship, please hail Kreia and announce our arrival,” said Jem.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship.

“Welcome back to the Yastri system, Commodore,” said Kreia.

“Thank you, Kreia. How are you?”

“I’m fine, Commodore. Nice of you to ask. We’ve had no visitors since your last visit.”

“Who’s Kreia?” asked Cathy.

Jem turned to Cathy.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close