Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 26

Jack ran his keycard across the lock to Lucinia’s quarters and stepped in, hearing clicks from someone striking keys on a keyboard. She was sitting at her computer, typing in data as he approached.

“Hello, Jack,” she said over her monitor.

“Hey, Lucy, how are you feeling?”

“Not good at all,” She replied. “Sent off a bunch of warning messages to several family members. My parents are troubled, and Valeria is beside herself, mainly concerned with our safety.”

“Yeah, it’s quite a clusterfuck,” Jack took a seat on one of her large, cushioned chairs. “Kaz ain’t doing well but I think she’ll come around. Pri has some concerns too, mainly about the crew or possible consequences.”

“I hope Kaz comes out of it soon, too,” Lucinia sent off her last message and joined him in the seating area. “Will Pri be ok?”

“She will,” Jack nodded. “How about the others?”

“The Lexo’s are scared about repercussions more than anything. Cardox and Sita don’t seem phased.”

“Yeah, not much phases them, except maybe walking in on them in the armory when they think they have alone time.” Jack remarked.

“I have noticed,” Lucinia said with a slight grin.

“What can you do though,” Jack said. “We do it too.”

“I know,” Lucinia scratched her head. “Nothing I can do or need to do at this time. If they ‘do’ anything, they keep it well hidden. Best they keep it that way or it will make my position more complicated and likely mean an end to any fraternization.”

“If Fratblockulus finds out, yeah, we’re all done for,” Jack rubbed his face. “I mean, if we were a commissioned warship, you’d have to stop it. In a civil capacity, you have some flexibility, though it’s still very frowned upon. Basically, it’s your call but if you stop them, then we can’t be doing what we do. Other budding relationships might be clipped early too.”

Lucinia nodded. “I’m walking a fine line by not addressing it, but I see no need to interfere if their duties are being fulfilled. Just like us, if they keep it professional, there’s no need for discipline. I will have to watch out for any issues and call it good at that for now.”

“Guess I better behave myself then, huh?” Jack grinned. “Although, what kind of discipline are we talking about?”

“You know,” Lucinia smirked. “Every time I think you might be ok, and have not suffered repeated blows to the head at some point...”

“I sow the seeds of doubt,” Jack smiled.

“Well, at least you’re in a decent mood about things,” Lucinia hesitated for a moment. “Other budding relationships?”

“Uh,” Jack bit his lower lip momentarily. “Kaz, and Rusu, maybe.”

“Really?” Lucinia was intrigued.

“Super early to tell but he has feelings for her, not sure about the return feelings yet but she might be open to it.”

“Well,” Lucinia nodded. “If they develop something, all the best to them and I hope they ride out this storm well enough.”

“As do I,” Jack nodded. “Doesn’t sound like anyone wants to leave just yet, but we got some stuff to get through first.”

“I know what you mean,” Lucinia stood up and did her best to fit in the chair beside him. “I’ve been thinking about what comes next ever since the meeting.”

“It could be nothing,” Jack tried to sound reassuring “They could have been independents.”

“If we’re lucky, that’ll be true,” Lucinia said quietly. “Or any other favorable outcome we have already discussed.” She was quiet for a few moments before speaking again. “I think I see why dad turned to Kondaweed after he retired from the Terran Navy. He kept it hidden and only used when he had a few days without responsibilities outside the home. He commanded this very ship, used this vessel to engage enemy ships. Mostly Ref’yao raids on the eastern border of League space. There was one battle though, involving a group of warships from a dozen different races, following some strange ideology.”

“The predator fleet?” Jack asked.

“Correct,” Lucinia said. “So, you must know the story?”

“Somewhat,” Jack replied. “It was before I was born. What I remember though, was about a fleet of merchant ships retrofitted with weapons that stalked the stars for ‘prey’. They hunted anything from cargo ships, passenger liners, or lone patrol vessels. They would kill most of the occupants of those vessels and make off with whatever they deemed a worthy trophy, keeping some alive as slaves or sacrifices.”

“How do people get so messed up?” Lucinia sighed.

“If I recall, they were archeologists and wealthy funders who dug too deep into some lost alien civilization. Some shit about awakening some creature, or power or some fucked up thing. What is real though, was their capability to go through with what they did. Just like Artema. The wrong people in power can do a lot of harm.”

“There are good people willing to stand against them, though,” Lucinia leaned against him. “My father helped take out that fleet. He had a hard time with it afterwards, however. Had dreams of the people he saw, floating in the void, having been ejected there from the destruction of their ships. Funny how he was ok killing Ref’yao by the thousands, but an even more violent foe caused him misery. I imagine because a lot of them were Terran.”

“Could be,” Jack said. “Didn’t bother me much on my end, though. I had to fight Terrans almost exclusively.”

“You say almost, were there other forces that fought for the Artemans?” Lucinia asked.

“Hired guns, yeah.” Jack replied. “Pretty fucked up when you think about it. Rogue Terran forces sought to overthrow the government and expel non-Terrans, with the aid of non-Terrans.”

“One of the things I fear about peoples of many races in general.” Lucinia replied. “Many have a lack of integrity.”

“Do you need anything from me, given today’s events?” Jack asked after a few moments.

“No,” She shook her head. “You and the crew, just keep doing what you do, and we’ll get through this.”

“On a deeper level, are you ok with what happened?”

“Not really, Jack,” Lucinia let out a deep breath. “I have no sympathy for those pirates, but I don’t desire to kill. I would have preferred to have taken them alive if the option was given, if only we had known.”

“If only,” Jack said passively.

“Why didn’t they attempt to communicate with us? Why not surrender? They had to know their odds were pretty low?”

“If they were Black Nova underlings, they wouldn’t have had that option,” Jack replied. “Black Nova probably would’ve done away with them once they were incarcerated, taken out by inside enforcers to the figurative empire for giving up such an expensive ship.”

“If it is Black Nova, what do we do?” Lucinia questioned.

“I don’t know,” Jack sighed. “Probably have to pay a lot of money to get off their list.”

“Any idea how much?”

“No,” Jack shook his head.

“Would they make contact?”

“As opposed to destroying us outright?” Jack asked.

“Yes,” Lucinia took his hand in hers.

“I hope so,” Jack replied, giving it a squeeze. “Likely, given what I’d just mentioned about payments.”

Lucinia checked her timepiece and let out a sigh. “The anticipation is almost unbearable, waiting for InterSAR and the Star Guard.”

“How far out are they?” Jack had lost track of how much time had passed.

“The InterSAR Clipper is less than an hour out. The Star Guard Cutter is over two hours at least. They both left Pranza Station at the same time, to my understanding. Clippers though.”

“Yeah,” Jack nodded. “Clippers.”

Named after an old sail ship built for speed, InterSAR made use of the clipper class vessel for its ability to get to emergency locations in a hurry. Equipped with medical, rescue equipment and several teams of highly trained crew, InterSAR had saved many thousands of lives when disaster struck in the cold vacuum between planets and stars.

Star Guard was an interstellar police organization, carrying out crime fighting, piracy prevention or actions against criminal syndicates where they could. With the growth of the frontier and rapid development of many fringe worlds, Star Guard was an increasingly sought-after organization as crime began to grow.

“Do you want to watch something?” Jack rubbed her forearm, “or play cards or anything to take your mind off what I know you’re thinking about?”

“Why don’t we grab a smoke, then maybe head up to the observation dome?” Lucinia replied.

“Alright, can do,” Jack nodded and followed her lead.

In the smokehouse, Jack had managed to dig out a cigarette in good shape and took a long puff. Lucinia leaned against the wall, smoking her favorite cherry whiskey brand cigar in relative silence.

“You think if I taped these cigarettes, I could save them?” Jack rattled the broken cigarettes at her.

“No,” Lucinia raised a brow, “What happened?”

“Pri tried to take’em, “Jack pocketed the pack. “Wants me to stop and get more exercise. Tells me I’m gonna become a fitless sumil...” He scratched the back of his head. “I looked it up on a translator, it means ‘slob’, in Sikarran.”

Lucinia grinned. “Show her your stinky socks.”

“Oh, yeah,” Jack raised his brows. “That’d go well. Sikarrans take great pride in hygiene and personal dress and deportment.”

“Speaking of dress...”

“Don’t...” Jack shook his head.

“I found one similar to that pretty little thing you were wearing that day, you know, when we first met...”

“Oh, for the love of a fuckless moon,” Jack put the top of his head against the wall and stared at the floor. “Will I ever live that day down?”

“Never,” Lucinia patted his back. “It makes for a good ‘how did you meet?’ story.”

“I guess,” Jack laughed. “Would have preferred a more traditional way, you know...” He took another puff and spoke in an altered voice. “Oh, how did we meet? Well, let me tell you. There was this cute little puppy in this flower garden, runnin around with a leash and no owner.”

“Good grief,” Lucinia finished her cigar and pressed it into the metal sand tray.

“Oh dear, a lost puppy, is this yours?” Jack kept up the story. “And these flowers? And this heart shaped box of chocolate cakes?”

“As opposed to running through the streets being pursued by thugs, then having an adventure on stage with...” She stopped. “You know what, I think I prefer the fictional story better. It’s more believable.”

“Yeah,” Jack finished his cigarette and followed her up to the observation room. “Except it wasn’t what happened, and the dress thing is what was...”

Inside the room there were several seats that allowed one to look out through the thick glass on either side and over the top of the room. In combat or an environmental hazard, an armored cover slid into place to protect the vulnerable room, being the only place on board with windows so a natural external view could be obtained. Right now, there wasn’t much to look at, but often the ship would orbit locations where a decent stellar view could be seen. For some time, Jack and Lucinia sat in relative silence, watching the asteroids visible in the far distance, occasionally talking about small subjects or trivial events from the last few days.

“I could really use the opportunity to go to that concert now,” Lucinia remarked as she leaned against Jack. “It may be shallow, but right now I feel like doing anything or finding something significant to break this tension. Dispel this atmosphere.”

“I know what you mean,” Jack nodded. “Almost like waiting for a jump scare that never comes.”

“Yes,” Lucinia nodded. “Well, at least it’ll have me at the ready if you try any of your tomfoolery.”

“Me? Fool around?” Jack grinned. “Well, maybe in your room...”

“You know...”Lucinia eyed him for a moment. “ ... you may have to meet Mr. and Mrs. Scaro senior someday.”

“Probably,” Jack was silent for a moment. “Hey mom and pop Scaro, I’m a smoking, swearing, bang your daughter, possible future son in law, wassup? Where’s the beer fridge at...”

“Or,” Lucinia thought for a moment. “Glad tidings Mister and Missus Scaro. I am the gentleman who courts your daughter. I sometimes speak foul words when I get all in a bother. I also wear Sunday dresses when I run from lesser dressed men as fashion is important to me. I indulge in the odd tobacco products now and then, but I do so wish to fully drop the habit soon.” She started to laugh, and Jack joined her.

“You know, wearing that dress did offer me unmatched freedom in the lower torso. Kinda liked it.”

“If you want to wear a dress,” Lucinia shrugged. “You do you.”

They were silent for a few moments before Lucinia spoke again.

“Why were you commando that day?”

“I was commando almost the entire time I was on Kordessa.” Jack answered. “Forgot to pack under shorts...”

“That makes some sense.” Lucinia nodded and patted his belly, before changing the subject. “I want to hold something for the crew. Something to build a little unity or mental well-being to help lift some of the weight of this situation.”

“You have something in mind?”

“I was thinking about putting together a meal, maybe a late lunch gathering. Something informal where we can talk in a comfortable environment. Maybe games or vids or some light entertainment.”

“I could dance in a dress.” Jack shrugged.

“So long as you don’t show up short dressed.” Lucinia replied.

Jack laughed and sat forward in his chair. “But for real, it’s a good idea to have a group gathering. Though it’s business as usual for many on board who are not really bothered, it may help others deal with the situation.”

“Kazlaena is the one I’m most concerned with,” Lucinia said. “I had a talk with Charm, Zakia and Delilah just before you showed up. They are not troubled so much by the death of the pirates as they are about retaliation or negative outcome on their files.”

“Your brother handling it ok?”

“Not really,” Lucinia shook her head. “Freaking out over regulations and rules and laws. In his quarters right now, researching the best way to handle talking to Star Guard.”

“Well,” Jack let out an exaggerated breath. “Guess he’s keeping busy in his way. Better that than jumping after people in his usual manner, in a time like this. Could lead to altercations with those that are having rollercoaster emotions.”

“Agreed,” Lucinia leaned forward as well. “We will be on one hundred percent watch until we reach Pranza Station. Officers will maintain standard watch timings, but combat watches are now in effect. D-17 has agreed to take scanner watches, beside either Cardox or Sita on radar. External flights are prohibited until further notice. If any unknowns try to hit us with a missile, we should be good to go on defense.”

“Good call,” Jack nodded. “I’ll do a good check over on our Ewar capabilities before I take watch today. You still have bloom countermeasures?”

“Recently reloaded, yes.”

“Radar target drones?”

“No,” Lucinia shook her head.

“IRCM pod?”

“It is active,” Lucinia replied.

“Supperal flares?” Jack scratched his chin.

“A single launcher full, so twelve in total.”

“Good, good,” Jack nodded. “They’re inexpensive. I recommend we deploy a pair each time we go superluminal. Just in case we are targeted by one of the more advanced missile delivery systems. You know, the ones that actively prowl after launch for a ship going superluminal within a certain range. Supperal flares were designed to counter those kinds of ambush tactics.”

“Green light it,” Lucinia gave him permission.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close