Stellar Drift - Cover

Stellar Drift

Copyright© 2022 by Rogue_Aquarian

Chapter 34

Stryker leaned on the balcony railing outside his fourth-floor hotel room. From here, he had a good vantage point overlooking the main pedestrian square on Pranza station. A small pond sat at the heart of a large green space, surrounded by trees, benches and pathways, capped by a domed roof that stood in as a false sky. Below his room sat the main thoroughfare from the docks to the station heart. Vendor carts sat along the route, offering souvenirs, crew necessities or foods that permeated the air with mostly pleasant smells.

Stryker looked up the thoroughfare and breathed a heavy breath. Their targets were at this station, but the physical descriptions of the crew had yet to be cracked. He had concerns that the vessel may depart before they had a chance to ID anyone and fulfil their mission. If the Astral Feather did depart, Black Nova could track the vessel over short distances, but that had its own pool of risks nobody was keen on diving into. Station security was, however, far lighter than he had expected, making a grab here just a little more possible, rather than trying anything on the surface.

A bit of laughter from a vendor cart below drew Strykers attention to a Terran couple acting sappy with each other. They were looking over pendants, rings and stones at the cart as the Zandivae vendor threw down his sales pitch. Stryker could hear him encouraging them to buy certain stones for good health, others for good luck. The vendor’s face was fairly Terran in appearance, if a bit flatter, but Stryker caught his nervous tell by the way he flicked his ears and scratched his head between his small horns.

“Heh,” Stryker stepped back, shaking his head at the little lies filling the air.

He looked over his shoulder, making sure the curtains over the door were still closed, before he pulled out a card and a little box. He looked over the card for a moment, satisfied with the remarks on it, before tucking it away and opening the box. Inside was a pendant, meant for offers of union between the races. On a rectangular green stone, a finely cut image, outlined in black, was a rune in the Veltrasken society that stood for serenity. Stryker played with the stone for a moment, looking down and nodding as he thought of the Veltrasken inside his hotel room. He looked up at the false sky, portraying early morning, and took some time to collect his thoughts before he would go back inside.

Stryker emerged from the en-suite attached to his hotel bedroom a short time later and saw Syriphi standing before a mirror, topless and paying interest to her back. He could tell almost immediately what was wrong and walked over to her. Like many reptilian races, Veltraskens shed their skin a few times during a Terran year. She had undergone a shed just before their warehouse raid, and some parts of her back were proving difficult with stuck shed causing irritation.

“Ah, back still a bother huh?” Stryker looked over the former layer of skin still clinging to the new.

“Greatly.” Syriphi showed irritation to the situation. “Back has become rather frustrating.”

“Come,” Stryker picked her up and set her onto the bed, laying her on her chest.

He passed a pillow over to her to put under her upper body, then handed her a datapad so she could resume a buddy-comedy series she was fond of. He pulled out her hygiene bag and used a bottle with a softening solution to soak the areas of stuck shed. While he waited for the solution to do its job, he questioned Syriphi about the series she watched.

“You’ve been binging this one hard.”

“I have.”

“Give me the details.” Stryker lay down beside her.

“Well, these two friends, they are treasure seekers who stole a cursed object and now they are doomed to have to find all the parts of the treasure they sold. Treasure that was contained together in a box.”

“Oh?” Stryker watched as one of the treasure seekers died when the plane he flew ran out of fuel. “Huh? They killed off one of them?”

“No,” Syriphi shook her head and laughed. “The curse will not let them die, and when they come back, it may be a minute, an hour, or like last week, it took several days for one of them to return. They cannot die until they return all of the treasure. Oh! He came back rather quick.”

“So why not bear the curse and have immortality?”

“Dying is still painful and the longer they bear the curse, the less they become of themselves. They get time added onto a ‘stay’ where their souls wander a halfway point before reaching eternal rest.”

“Like a purgatory?”

Syriphi had to think of the word for a moment before the definition came to her.

“Yes. Like a Terran purgatory. A cold, lonely place.”

“So why not just go live on the beach somewhere, kick back and relax?”

“It is implied something very bad will happen to the world if they do not get the treasures back.”

“Oh?”

“Yes,” Syriphi swooped her tail over the back of his legs.

“Rough deal,” Stryker watched the two anti-heroes on the screen getting into it with each other, throwing loaves of bread at one another while a stall owner berated them.

“So silly and juvenile,” Syriphi laughed, and Stryker wrapped his arm over her shoulder, pulling her against him as they watched on.

Stryker had managed to relieve some of the skin shed on Syriphi’s back, when his attention was drawn to a knock at the bedroom door.

Stryker patted Syriphi on the back and they stood up, heading for the door. Stryker waited until Syriphi had her shirt back on before he opened the door and saw Caine the Brain, as he liked to be called, looking back with a confident look. He was a fit Terran, dark skinned with long black hair and high quality dataspecs

“We’re in,” He simply said, before turning back to the common area and heading for his portable computer.

Stryker and Syriphi followed, seeing a male Kakrin with all brown and black fur, and blue eyes emerging from another attached bedroom. His lanky form and somewhat frustrated canine facial features caught Stryker’s attention.

“Shirt ain’t gonna fit no more.” The Kakrin said as he tried to button up a colorful shirt with intricate designs.

“You gettin loaded with the belly flab.” Stryker remarked and they both laughed.

“Yeah, shoulda checked this thing still fit before packing it.” The Kakrin huffed, before another form entered the doorway and a mostly black furred Quanolan brushed past the Kakrin, her feline features bearing a kind of false annoyance mixed with affection when the Kakrin grabbed her in both arms.

“Guess I need to burn up more calories.” The Kakrin stated, wagging his tail.

“Hrrmm, You would burn calories most assuredly, if stamina pool was greater.” The Quanolan replied, lowering her ears some, before her green eyes fell on Stryker.

“Hey, I can’t help it if you’re too attractive for my own good?” The Kakrin questioned himself.

Stryker gave them both amused looks, but Caine looked over to them from his chair and spat a remark.

“Senyu, Urzik, stop sexing about and all of you get over here.”

Stryker looked at them with an ‘uh oh’ expression before they all stood around the desk. Urzik stood behind Senyu as he kept her in a comfortable hold with his arms wrapped around her lower chest. Stryker and Syriphi stood on the opposite side of Caine, watching the screen with curiosity.

“Ok, our first foe of the ship, danger arranger of the target crew...” He brought up a file and Jack Coralane headlined the sheet.

“Artema rebel...” Stryker noted. “ ... their tenacity won them the war.”

“Was a forward air controller, seven years in the campaign officially, retired as a sergeant, clean record, decorated at Valcrana, Mount Subosa, Askerling Isles...” Caine paused at some encrypted information. “Hmm...”

“Whats up?” Stryker asked.

“This info here,” Caine wiggled the cursor over the faded information. “This is not worth cracking.”

“Oh?” Syriphi leaned in to look at the coding. “Military encryption. Likely there is some ongoing or recently handled case with sensitive information. Cracking the encryption could put a bad tail on us from people we don’t want on our case.”

“Yes,” Caine agreed. “This Jack is the Second Officer on the vessel, and on the security team.”

“As expected,” Stryker remarked.

“Next is a Sita Kildahl. Retired League Marine, ten years of service, mostly on the Ref-yao front. She has some missions with pirates or other conflicts, several action decorations, Security team, radar and signals operator, armorer...” Caine read the info aloud. “Third, Cardox Incurus. League Special Forces...”

Caine then looked at Stryker with some apprehension, though he chose to remain quiet.

“It’s ok,” Stryker set a hand on Caine’s shoulder. “Going up against one of our own offers us one advantage. We all have the same training. We know what to expect.”

“Most of his info is either redacted or encrypted,” Caine scrolled through the dossier. “He is their ordinance officer, security team lead, and shares several similar duties to Sita.”

Stryker nodded to himself, catching Syriphi looking at him with concern.

“I’ll be ok,” Stryker replied.

“I know you hate facing our own, our extended service family. We all do,” Syriphi took one of his hands.

“Fuckin!” Caine sat staring at the last Dossier.

Stryker was little surprised in his outburst. Looking at the image of a Sikar’Sezar, her file noting the awards and decorations in her service history.

“She’s a spear...” Stryker’s voice did little to hide his concern.

“We might have to go up against a Spear?” Urzik scratched his head, then scratched Senyu’s between her ears.

“Not good,” Senyu added with shallow enthusiasm, lowering her ears at the scratching, before closing her eyes to the pleasant sensation.

“Not good at all,” Stryker looked intently at the portrait on the screen.

“Pri Zoak. Former Hastar in the Sikarran military. Eleven years’ service with campaigns against the Ref-yao, Emmivaks, marauders and pirates. Earned Spear title in Aliquar system. Granted general discharge for desire to depart and failure to meet expected term of service.” Caine read the information carefully.

“Can’t fault her for that,” Stryker spoke with a hint of sympathy. “Rather bullshitters to have to put in a twenty-year term before one can consider retiring to start a family.”

“Yes,” Syriphi agreed. “They do have well planned path for Sezars and Antars though. Serve your twenty, retire and raise your family over the next twenty, enjoy the prime of your life for the next twenty before hitting those golden years and retiring to a place like Karderak.”

“They all live by that ‘hundred-year plan’?” Urzik inquired.

“Yeah,” Stryker answered. “Hmm, she’s medical, also security team second. We will need to be careful with her about. Might be worth it to tag her as a primary mark to take any potential retaliation down a notch or two”

“Maybe so,” Senyu agreed.

“Is that all they have for security?” Urzik asked, after they had flipped through many of the profiles.

“Looks like,” Stryker eyed the image of Proculus on the screen. “Fuck, that one sure looks like he has some enthusiasm for life in him!”

“Proculus huh? More like Walking Coculus,” Urzik laughed.

“Came outta the womb scowling, all ‘fuck life’ like,” Senyu joked.

“His sister is the captain,” Syriphi noted, and they all watched in silence as Caine backed through the profiles until Lucinia’s came up.

“Their personalities look like they are worlds apart,” Senyu said quietly. “How does one acquire such a sad sack for a brother?”

“Can’t pick your family.” Stryker answered, then motioned for Caine to proceed through the files.

“What?” Syriphi looked at the screen intently when a Vandean profile appeared. “They have a Vandean on board?”

“Deck Cadet Kazlaena Starseeker,” Caine read aloud. “Been aboard a few vessels but seems to have her home on the Astral Feather. Been aboard nearly two years, against just a few months on her last crew.”

“Why did she leave other ships?” Stryker asked.

“Last one says her employment was ended due to a lack of knowledge and experience needed for the position. Notes made by the previous crew, a diplomatic cutter, say she was too busy playing games and not fulfilling her duties.”

“She’s just a kid.” Stryker noted. “Twenty-two years old, she shouldn’t have been on a shuttle like that to begin with.”

“Her marks in her certifications show she is attentive,” Caine noted her exam results. “Look at this stuff, all high eighties or low nineties. Kid’s putting effort in that makes the remarks from her last employer seem more out of spite.”

“Why the fuck would they say such things then? Could her attitude have dropped off after being hired with them?”

“Why are you so worried about it, boss?” Urzik looked at Stryker with interest.

Stryker frowned but kept quiet, other than a simple “I don’t know.” Syriphi lowered her brows as her fierce draconian eyes stared at Urzik.

“These are civilians we are about to ruin. They are not like us, not parasites that cling to dishonest work for big gains. This cadet did nothing to deserve the whirlwind about to fall on her.” Syriphi let out a sharp breath, forcing it out of her nose in a loud snort. “Vandeans share similar attention of many reptilians, treated unfairly but for physical looks. You can already see she has borne mistreatment. There is no way those crew aboard her last ship did not know what a Vandean was like, in a world so bright and vibrant to their once primitive ways. They knew she would not be a good fit and took her aboard anyway, for whatever game they felt they needed to play. They knew it would be hard for her to stay to task, faced with long boring meetings aboard a diplomatic cutter or in locales she probably had no clearance to be in. She appears to have a home now, and we are about to turn it upside down for the very scum she took part in stopping.”

“Not the kid then,” Senyu spoke up, looking at Syriphi with compassion.

“Not the kid,” Urzik gave Senyu a hug. “Look, I’m not saying it’s bad to give a fuck or two for these people. They aren’t like our usual prey. Shouldn’t even be prey. The League is filled with predators though. Where is the line in criminality when those at the top make those at the bottom tear each other apart for bread, standing back to condemn and mock while they observe. I was not trained to be prey. If the League wants to make it hard for me to eat, I won’t play by their rules. That said, this entire team is tier one trained. We should be able to capture a couple of the crew there and make our employers little ransom game work without anyone dying. Shake the captain down for a few mil and Black Nova gets their point across before everyone goes home fine and dandy.”

Syriphi changed her expression to something softer, looking at Stryker finally.

“What?” Urzik raised his ears.

“The boss had a similar plan.” Syriphi said.

“Oh? Well, good. Means I think like the boss then!” Urzik replied. “Great minds thinking alike or whatever that Terran saying is.”

Stryker looked them both over and nodded, turning his attention back to the screen when a pair of Lexocanus appeared.

“This ship is rather thick in diversity,” Stryker noted, thinking momentarily of his own crew.

“Boss, this one’s supposed to be a telecomms expert,” Caine spoke with a hint of concern.

“You confident in your ghost encryption?” Stryker asked.

“As can be,” Caine replied. “If he should be able to detect the breach, it will only lead him to a telemarketer on the far side of the planet. That will give us time to get our job done so long as we maintain urgency. He could possibly figure it out in a few days if he deems it necessary to investigate.”

“Alright,” Stryker looked over the Lexocanus on the screen. “Make a copy of each crew member and upload it to our database. We need to get out there and start surveying the area, seeing what we can do about our marks before this ‘Rusu’ becomes aware.” Stryker saw Caine nod and he patted Caine on the shoulder, before looking at Senyu. “What kind of coverage can you give us with your drones?”

“Can cover docks and main square with ease, round the clock.” Senyu pulled over a print detailing the public areas of the station. “I have seen suitable spots looking over the docks to land a drone that will act as our personal little camera with facial recognition. That will give us a warning that one of the marks is on the way.”

“How about the causeway and other suitable locations a crew might go to stretch their legs?”

“A couple rooftops can offer a vantage, as well as some decent holes where a smaller drone can park to keep watch.” Senyu assured him.

“Set up your drones when you can but be mindful. We need to maintain stealth.”

“Will do boss.” Senyu gave him a nod as she was released from Urzik’s grip, allowing her to go to her drone containers.

“Alright Urzik, you’re on patrol while me and Syri man the taco stand,” Stryker said and caught Urziks smirk.

“Have fun giving everyone the screaming shits!” Urzik said as he headed off to his room. “Just don’t forget to wash your hands thoroughly boss.”

Stryker saw Syriphi cover her face and snort before he shook his head.

“Alright girl, let’s get set up and see if we can entice some marks to our taco stand.”


Kazlaena entered the hall on D deck, intent on heading to her quarters and changing out of her uniform when she spotted Rusu at the far end, heading away from her. She was about to call out to him, but he disappeared into his quarters. She was in her own quarters a few moments later, changing into a blue t-shirt and light green shorts after applying another dose of salve to her shoulders and waistline. She was going to start up one of her games, but she thought for a moment and decided she would see if he was interested in hanging out together. A few moments later, she was knocking on Rusu’s door, and he answered.

“Oh! Hi! Hello Kaz!” He said, surprised.

“‘eya Rusu, um, do you want to um, can we play some games or do somesing togeser?” Kazlaena asked.

“Oh! Yes, yes, come in,” he stepped back and allowed her to step inside his quarters.

Kazlaena was impressed with the computer setup he had in the back corner, beside his bed. Several monitors were connected to a large box, displaying a variety of information. One had rapidly updated data on currency values while another displayed League corporate stock information. A smaller one displayed news from Lexocan Prime, showing a variety of topics as a narrator spoke in native Lexocanus. Rusu’s bed was well made, almost excessively so. The blanket was flat with not a ripple across the surface while the sheets were sharply folded. A long-range radio sat beside the computer setup, connected to a wall jack that fed to the ship comms array. A small printer was currently active, spitting out an article in Lexocan. Kazlaena saw a clear container on the desk with a bunch of different bottle caps as well as a couple of decks of cards. She also saw several small ship models at the end of the desk, as well as a few on Rusu’s clothing cabinet.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close