A True History - Book Five - Cover

A True History - Book Five

Copyright© 2022 by StarFleet Carl

Chapter 17

They packed the Heisman in a nice, padded case for my trip home, but they told me they needed that case back. They did tell me where I could get a travel case for it if I wanted to buy one myself. Jim Plunkett advised me that I do that, because there would be times I’d want or need to take it with me.

While it was late when we got home, Dora, Beth, and Eve were awake, to congratulate me. That’s when I found out Eve had won both her games. Marcia had known, but with everything I had going on in New York, she’d just forgotten to tell me.

I actually got to sleep in on Monday, because I didn’t have any finals until Tuesday, and I didn’t have to present any papers until Wednesday. I found out after I got up that Mycroft had been handling calls from all the local papers and television stations, who’d started calling at seven in the morning to set up interviews.

He’d told them all the same thing. Any interviews had to go through Stanford, and would be at Stanford. Due to this being finals week, my schedule was restricted, so they could either go by the rules we set up, or be left out.

That meant my Friday was going to be busy.

The week was a little hectic, with our differing schedules for finals. In addition, I got stuck going to a tailor again. It seems someone decided I needed some new clothes and ceremonial outfits for next month. Rather than having them be rushed like what I’d worn at the Academy Award ceremony, there were going to be several fittings to make sure things were just right.

Niranjana didn’t escape that torture, either, although for some reason it didn’t bother her as much as it did me. I was told it was a woman thing, and not to worry about it.

Eve finally had a home game Tuesday evening. It was against San Francisco State. She and the other four starters sat out the entire second half, with Coach VanDerveer basically using it as a live practice for the rest of the team.

I turned in all my papers on Wednesday, and ran over to see Coach, to confirm everyone on the team knew I wouldn’t be available for practice next week as we started preparations for the Rose Bowl.

“Come on in, Cal. I tell you what, Friday is going to be fun!” Coach said.

“Really? I came by to make sure you knew I wouldn’t be available next week, due to my internship. I didn’t know we were planning on a party for Friday,” I replied.

“Yes, I knew that about your schedule, but thank you for thinking about it. I’m not expecting you back from Punjab until a couple days before the Championship game, either. And no, it’s not that kind of party. The interview session you’ve set up is what I’m talking about. While we were in New York, there were a few final games before Bowl Season starts. Most of them didn’t matter, even the Army-Navy game. But one of them did. Oklahoma played SMU, and beat them 35 to 13. They just released the final poll, and that puts the finishing touches on the Bowl games and Championship game. Chuck Long nearly getting the Heisman didn’t hurt, either. We’re ranked first, Penn State is second, Oklahoma is now third, and Iowa is fourth. So it’s going to be the winner of the Orange Bowl versus the winner of the Rose Bowl in the National Championship game. And just to make it more interesting, even though the Nittany Lions are undefeated like us, they’re seven point underdogs to Oklahoma.”

I frowned, then asked, “You know, I’ve never asked this, but what about our game?”

He leaned back and blew out a deep breath, before he said, “It’s a ‘who the fuck knows’ game. I’ve heard Iowa’s favored against us, which surprises the hell out of me. I’m honestly giving some thought to playing you both ways these last two games, by having you in as free safety. Shit, if Bo Jackson can play both football and baseball, and get to where he did, why not? I mean, hell, John plays football and basketball here, after all. We’ve done it with our offensive line at times during the season. It’s just ... I don’t know.”

I sat down. “It’s obviously not going to bother me, one way or the other. I did it in high school, after all. Hell, I even did returns after kickoffs, playing special teams, and I’ve gone in for onside kicks a couple of times here, too.”

“I know all the analysts would be screaming if I did it, because if you got hurt, then we’d be out our star quarterback. And make no mistake, you earned that Heisman, because you are the best football player in the country. The thing is – I know you can’t get hurt. So how fair is that to everyone else? I mean, back when Dick Butkus played in college, no one had really done it between him and Chuck Bednarik, in the late ‘40’s. Sure, Bronco Nagurski and Jim Thorpe were famous for it, but ... shit, that was seventy years ago.”

“Maybe it’s about time that tradition was revived. You know nearly all small high schools have to do it, just because they literally don’t have enough players. I’m sure some of the smaller colleges, the ones that aren’t Division 1 teams, do it, too,” I said.

Coach looked thoughtful, then said, “You know, I really hadn’t considered that. But I bet that’s one of the reasons there’ve been issues here, with that stupid rule about Freshmen. Since this is the last year for it as far as new students are concerned, courtesy of that whole attempted sabotage mandatory tutoring fiasco, we’ll have one hell of a Freshman class next year. We’re losing nine Seniors from our starting lineup, and we’ll have that many Sophomores to fill those gaps, but we may be able to start a few of the incoming Freshmen, too.”

He shook his head, and chuckled. “You know how recruiting goes. Once we’re able to recruit high school players, things can get wild and wicked. I don’t know how it was for Paul Wiggins before I took over, but when I started, with our last season under Paul at one and ten, I had a hard time recruiting anyone. At least we finished five and six last year, so I had some talent to help supplement you. Next year? It seems that getting to play football with you is a hell of a deciding factor for a lot of kids. I’ve got thirty ready and eager prospects that have already committed to Stanford. We’ve made sure they have the ability to actually pass classes here, of course. What you told your high school teammates about getting an education is spot on. Hell, Jim Plunkett and I are living proof of that. Oh, and as soon as this year’s NFL season is over, he’s retiring and will be one of my assistants.”

Snorting, he added, “I even had some kids I didn’t recruit call, to see if they could play here. Other than the occasional walk-ons over the years, I’ve never had someone beg me to play for me.”

I shook my head. “This is going to sound incredibly self-serving, but ... were any of them actually any good, or were they all glory-hounds?”

“Oh, they were all good, but they were also exactly what you said – glory-hounds. They knew if they got to play on the field with you, it’d make them look good. Every one of the boys I recruited comes from a team-oriented school,” he said.

I nodded, then replied, “Good. I’m team-oriented, too. How about this for the Rose Bowl? We let the defense do their thing. If they can contain Iowa – and I actually think they can, or at least they stop Iowa from keeping up with us – then fine. If they can’t, we’ll know by the third quarter. If so, then I do like the old days, and play ironman football. Quarterback on offense, free safety on defense.”

He sat still for a few seconds, then slowly started nodding as a grin formed on his face. “Now, that’s a plan I can support. We’ll do that for Iowa. Hayden Fry is a good coach, but a fair one. I really do think our defense has a good chance of containing them if they’re having a good day. As for the championship game...”

He shook his head. “I don’t want to count my chickens before they’re hatched, but I know you. If it’s Penn State we face, Joe Paterno has been coaching there for two decades. He’s the best damned coach in football, and his teams are known for their players moving on to Sundays. Barry Switzer ... well, Oklahoma has more players on offense than we do on our whole team. If you’re healthy and can play, he’s happy as hell. If you get hurt, unless you’re one of the stars of the team, he doesn’t care about you. And God help you if you have a career ending injury on the field, because he’ll yank your scholarship so fast it’s not funny. Needless to say, he doesn’t care if his players actually graduate, only that they play football.”

“That sounds like a plan, Coach,” I said. “We’ll see if our defense can handle Iowa. I suspect they can, at least enough that we won’t just be trading touchdowns. The championship game? I play free safety from the start. They sure as hell won’t be expecting it.”

He sighed, then nodded. “I’d like to argue with you about it, but ... you’re probably right. If we weren’t operating under that stupid rule this year, a lot of our games wouldn’t have been as close as they were. All right, that’s the plan. Now, Friday morning, eleven, in the main conference room. Oh, and I shouldn’t have to say this, but I will. Bring the trophy with you, so it can sit on the table, front and center.”

I nodded, then got up and left him to his paperwork. I did a couple more things on campus and then went home. I thought I was going to have a simple day on Thursday. That got ruined at dinner that evening.

Marcia asked, “What do you have going on tomorrow and Saturday?”

“I was planning on spending the day in the lab tomorrow. I’ve got interviews starting at eleven on Friday, and then Saturday, Eve’s game is in the early afternoon. I planned on just being a husband and dad during the rest of that time, since I start my week at the hospital Sunday afternoon, of all times. Why, what’s up?” I asked.

“Two things. Saturday morning, we’ll be going to Menlo to watch some basketball games. As for Thursday, Steven invited us to a special showing of ‘The Color Purple’ tomorrow afternoon, down in Hollywood. The actual public premiere is Monday in New York, and while we were originally invited to that, because of your schedule, he agreed to do one for us this week,” she explained.

“I’m guessing from the looks the vast majority of you are giving me that I’m pretty much a dead man if I say no.”

From his seat in the corner, Sayel said, “It is a wise man who knows when to surrender when in the face of overwhelming odds.”

“I do have the press conference Friday morning at eleven. Otherwise, I’ll be spending time with my wives. That’s going to be very limited in the near future, so what’s the downside?” I asked.

I found out the next afternoon. The special showing wasn’t just for us. It was also to introduce many of those who would be working on ‘Schindler’s List,’ that had never worked with him, to how Steven Spielberg directed a movie. There were also a bunch of other celebrities present that had thought there was going to be a red-carpet like at the premiere, so they could be seen. They were disappointed that didn’t happen. Marcia had made sure Spielberg kept this actually on the studio lot, so the press couldn’t make a big deal out of it.

There were a couple of men with entourages that started to approach us. Our security stopped them, then to the dismay of their security forces, only allowed the two men through.

“Hello, my lovely!” one of them said to Diana.

“Oh, Elton! I wasn’t expecting to see you here. And Michael, too? What a pleasant surprise,” Diana said.

“Yes, well, we heard from Freddie, and we had to come thank you,” the thin black man named Michael, said. “Oh, is that your new baby?”

Smiling, Diana said, “Yes, this is Kilassanda. Cal, come here. I want to introduce the two of you to the man that saved Freddie’s life.”

I walked over and she said, “Elton, Michael, this is my husband, Cal Lewis. Cal, this is Elton John and Michael Jackson.”

Elton bowed at the waist and said, “Your Majesty, it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

I spent several minutes talking with them regarding their charity work for Africa, and I also reassured Michael that once things were stabilized there, another song similar to his ‘We are the World’ would be welcome. He hadn’t known more than two-thirds of the money raised by that song had been stolen by corrupt politicians. I also learned Elton was friends with Ryan White, and had gotten to know Ryan due to the publicity regarding how Kokomo and Howard County had treated him.

“Gentlemen, I presume you’re aware of my upcoming coronation. Music is something people around the world love, and I think my wives all specifically like your music. There’s going to be at least one non-traditional group playing music. Would either or both of you care to perform as well?”

“We’d be honored, Your Majesty,” Elton replied.

I waved the rest of my wives over, so they could also meet the two performers. I wasn’t sure who was the most starstruck among them. I think it helped that they’d all met so many other famous and important people. We all went into the theater to watch the movie. Steven Spielberg went down front before things started.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for being here this afternoon. Because this is a special screening, when the movie is over, I would ask that you all remain seated for the closing credits. Thank you.” He took his seat, and then the lights dimmed.

When the lights came back up, signifying the end of the movie, I found out why Elton John and Michael Jackson were really at this showing. They went down front and began singing ‘Happy Birthday’ in a duet, personalizing it for Margie and Jennifer. While they were doing that, two large cakes were rolled out. Marcia had planned the whole thing as a surprise birthday party for them.

Of course, I’d left my gifts at home. Hannah saved me, because she knew where they were, and was aware of why we had really had flown down here today. I was honestly ashamed that I’d forgotten the day with everything else going on, but I was forgiven because I had gotten each of them something special.

I spent the night with the two birthday girls, making sure they knew how much I loved them.

After all the press conferences and interviews in New York, sitting down with what I was starting to call the regular crew felt good. There wasn’t anyone trying to come up with a ‘gotcha’ moment, just three hours of us chatting.

Of course, having the Heisman Trophy sitting front and center on the table did make it the focal point of the room. The entire team was present on our side of the room and had gathered down front for pictures before taking their seats.

I understood what Coach Elway meant about it being fun, too. This question and answer session was all about football. No questions about pending lawsuits. No questions about morons from Berkeley. Just talk about the Cardinal, the Hawkeyes, the Rose Bowl, and the Heisman.

Because my wives and I had been so busy this week, one question took me by surprise.

“Ed Walters, San Jose Mercury News. Mister Lewis, the Stanford Women’s Basketball team is on pace to mirror the accomplishment of your football team, and finish the season undefeated. Especially in light of their destruction of San Francisco State on Tuesday, with a final score of 122 to 51. The Nevada Invitational tournament is scheduled for the three days after the Rose Bowl, and those of us who follow your calendar know you’ll be in Punjab for your coronation those days. I would presume that as one of your wives, and a Princess of your Realm, Eve will be going with you. Do you think her absence will affect those games?”

“Ed, if you follow my calendar, then I would guess you’ve also looked at my high school team as well, right?”

He grinned, and said, “Yes, I have. That’s pretty much the answer I was expecting, but I did have to ask.”

I nodded, then grinned back at him and said, “Well, duh! You’re actually trying to be a reporter, after all. Now, I’m going to say something that is purely my own, uneducated opinion. Uneducated, in that I am not a basketball player. I’m a football player. In fact, I’m going to also ask John Paye his opinion, because he is a basketball player. But anyway, in my opinion, I think it’ll be easier for Coach VanDerveer to deal with Eve’s loss those three games than it would be for Coach Elway to deal with my loss, if I’d had to miss three games during our season.”

“How so?”

“Simple, Ed. Coach Elway only had three guys he could put in if I had needed to miss a game. Coach VanDerveer has ten other women. Granted, it’d be a little odd to have two centers on the court at the same time, but I think you get my meaning. John?”

“Cal’s right, Mister Walters. Football’s a different sport. We’re truly dependent upon one key player, and that’s the quarterback. We’re a team, we play as a team, and we function as a team, but if the starting quarterback has a crappy game, then chances are, the team is going to have a crappy game. Basketball’s different. We’re a team, we play as a team, we function as a team, but we’re not as dependent upon any single player for the win. That’s where having depth on your bench comes into play on the court. Everyone on the Celtics may have to play a little harder if Larry Bird isn’t out there, but they’re still capable of winning without him, even against their toughest opponent. Unfortunately, the same thing isn’t quite as true in football. Earlier this season, Cal had an issue before our game against Arizona. Fred did a magnificent job the first half, and Coach even said if I was healthy that day, Cal would’ve sat on the bench. Obviously, he didn’t, and we won that game handily.”

Walters thought a second, then asked, “Um, from reports I’ve seen regarding your other activities, Mister Lewis, that was two days after someone shot at your plane when you were flying up here from Vandenberg. Was the reason you weren’t in the first half because you injured in that attack?”

“Um, no,” I replied, my face turning red.

Jule was sitting up front and saw that. “Cal, what’re you holding back?” she asked.

I cleared my throat rather nervously, and said, “Um, it’s a normal human psychological reaction. In the, um, aftermath of a life-threatening event, people will tend to affirm life in a rather ... basic, and physical way. I’m not going into any more details than that, but I have seventeen wives.” My face was almost the same red as my shirt.

The gasps from some of the reporters, matched with the laughter from my teammates and former friends, pretty much put an end to that press conference.

There was a good bit of laughter at home as well, from my wives that had watched the press conference live on KPIX. Plus, of course, kisses as well.

Saturday morning, we went to Menlo. Because I was busy with a few things like working to save the world, I didn’t realize just how into athletics the kids were. Toby was on the seventh and eighth grade boy’s team, which played first at nine. At ten, the seventh and eighth grade girl’s team played, and John Paye’s sister was on it. They had a break, then had the girl’s junior varsity play. Carrie and Cally were both on that team. Eve had to leave at halftime of the boy’s JV game, to get back to campus, so she could be ready for her game. The rest of us finished watching the JV game, then loaded up onto our buses.

The ladies were out shooting warm-ups when we got there. Even though yesterday was the last day of classes, which meant a lot of students had left for the Christmas holiday, the arena was full. Coach VanDerveer saw us come in and walked over, before we could get to our seats.

“Mister Lewis, you surprised me with your interview yesterday,” she said.

“How so, Coach?”

“Three things, actually. One is you do have a grasp that this is my team. I know we’ve talked about this in the past, but speaking about something and then actually seeing the reality are sometimes very different. Your comments yesterday show you really do have a firm grasp regarding teamwork. Second is my congratulations to you on winning the Heisman. Third is...” She paused, making sure we were private. “Please do not take this as anything but admiration, curiosity, and maybe just a bit of jealousy. All seventeen of your wives? In one night?”

I snorted, then started laughing so hard I ended up coughing. After I got my breath back, I leaned over closer to her. “I made it to the locker room with literally ten seconds to spare before that game, then spent the next three or four hours sound asleep in an ice bath. Coach has even issued an edict and warning for them to never fuck me to death again.”

She shook her head while laughing, then said, “I would say that’s unbelievable, but one thing I’ve learned since our first encounter is to never discount anything I hear about you. Anyway, I just said what I wanted. Tell Eve not to worry. Actually, we’re already talking to Saint Mary’s about rescheduling one specific game already.”

At my look of confusion, she said, “It’s scheduled to be played Friday evening, January 17th. Since I expect you to lead the Cardinal to victory in the Rose Bowl, that means you’ll be playing in the National Championship game on the 18th. There’s no way I’m going to have my ladies doing anything that Friday except cheering for you if I can help it.”

I blinked, then smiled and said, “Thank you, Coach VanDerveer. I appreciate that.”

She nodded, then went back to the bench to finish her pregame preparations.

Sayel came up beside me. “Well, it appears our lessons were not wasted on that one, Master.”

I nodded and said, “Yeah. She’s actually a good coach, she just plays for the other team.”

He looked confused. “But she’s a Stanford coach.”

I shook my head, then spent some time explaining idioms that I’d managed to grasp with Sayel while we waited for the game to start.

Eve and Judy ended up with triple-doubles, with Charli Turner and Andrea Ransom both getting double-doubles in their 81 to 56 win over UNLV.

After a good and relaxing breakfast Sunday morning, Chuck drove me to the hospital. One thing Doctor Korn hadn’t told me was where to go, but Chuck knew where the staff parking lot and entrance was, so he let me out there.

“Go have fun, Cal,” he said. “In the event you actually get to come home this week, we have security here that can bring you home.”

“Thanks, I think.” I sighed, then shut the door to the Suburban and walked towards the door to enter the Stanford Hospital for the first time that wasn’t due to a birth.

A nurse was walking in at the same time I was and saw I looked a little lost. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“Yes, thank you. I’m Doctor Lewis, and I’m starting a week-long residency today. Doctor Korn told me to be here, but didn’t specify my duties any more than that,” I explained.

“Sounds about right for an MSTP intern. Fortunately, you just passed your first exam, by not being too proud to take assistance when it’s offered. Not a formal one, of course. I’m Sue Welsh, I’m one of the ER charge nurses. I’ve been here for almost twenty years now, and seen my share of those interns. They don’t tend to make it. Come on, I’ll show you where to go,” she said, leading me through some doors and down a couple of corridors.

“Why’d you say that about MSTP interns?” I asked.

“Oh, hon, all the regular interns have toured this place and gone through with their instructors so many times that by the time it comes to actually start using their knowledge, they’re old hands at knowing their way around. The MSTP interns, for good or bad, are special because they’ve been so busy learning their specialties, most of the time they’ve never even been here.”

I shook my head and said with a grin, “Well, I’ve been here a few times, but it was mostly for obstetrics, so I wasn’t the patient. One of my wives was.”

Her shoes squeaked as she slid to a halt. “One of your wives?” Then she really looked at my lab jacket and Stanford ID. “Oh. Sorry, Sir, I didn’t realize who you were.”

“What’s this ‘Sir’ crap, Sue? Yes, I’m exactly who you think I am – the quarterback for the Cardinal. But I’m just a regular intern here.”

The brown haired woman shook her head and snorted. “Not likely. Come on, let’s go in here and we’ll see where you get to start working.” She walked through one more door and I found us inside a lounge, with several men and women sitting and resting. There was a large white board taking up all of one wall.

“This is our primary lounge for non-permanent staff coming on duty, or resting while on duty. We have three hundred sixty beds, and we’re the only level one trauma center between SF General and Valley Medical. Of course, we’re also the only hospital on this side of the bay between SF General and Valley Medical, too. For those of us like me that already have a specific department, I’d normally just go to the ER. Since we can have several hundred residents and interns at a time, this is where you’d normally go to start your shift. So, let’s see if we can find your name on the board here, and where you’re assigned.”

“So, when I actually start my regular residency in April, this’ll be where I check?” I asked.

“Regular residency?”

“Yeah. I’m only here for a week – minimum of eighty hours – right now. I won’t do my full residency until Spring Quarter. Doctor Korn came up with my schedule.”

She chuckled. “Sounds about right. And ... looking ... looking ... oh. Are you sure you’re in the MSTP program?”

I was puzzled. “Yes, I’m primarily going to be a research scientist. I know I have to have basic medical knowledge and skills, but I’m not planning on actually opening up an office somewhere.”

“Well, come along with me. I’ll show you where our locker room is, and you can get into some scrubs. You’re the primary emergency room intern this week,” she said, pointing at the board.

I followed where she was pointing. My name was printed neatly, with the assignment being exactly what she’d said. I recognized David’s initials behind it.

“Huh. I wonder what David was thinking with this? Payback to Doctor Ed, or what?” I mumbled to myself.

I followed her to a part of the hospital I was relatively familiar with, since I’d been here for the birth of three of my children. “Okay, this is the Emergency Room Staff locker room,” she said, walking in. There was a series of full sized lockers along two walls, with benches in front of them. Shelves with an assortment of scrubs were along the other wall. Two women and a man were inside, partially dressed.

“Hey, Sue. What’s going on?” one of the women asked as she was pulling her pants off.

“Found our new intern for this week as he was walking in,” Sue said. “Doctor Lewis, this is Doctor Barrett. She’s our primary ER triage physician. That’s Ann Chan, she’s the assistant ER charge nurse on duty. And this is Doctor Devine, he’s doing his second year residency in emergency medicine.”

I shook hands all around, then looked at the lockers. They were simple lockers, with a numbered key attached to a ring and clip.

“Lewis, go ahead and get changed into some scrubs. Leave your lab jacket in your locker, you don’t want to get it covered in who the hell knows what while you’re on duty. The ring and clip for your locker will fit over your stethoscope earpiece, so that way you won’t lose it,” Doctor Barrett instructed.

“Yes, Ma’am,” I said. I grabbed a set of extra-large scrubs and stripped down to my underwear.

“Good Lord, you’re ripped,” Ann Chan said when I hung my shirt up. That caused the others to look at me.

Devine shook his head. “Damn, Lewis, you have muscles in places I don’t even have places. What do you do, work out every day?”

“I’m the Cardinal quarterback,” I said.

“Son of a bitch!” he exclaimed. “What the hell are you doing in the ER?”

“This is where Doctor Korn assigned him,” Sue said. “He’s in the MSTP program.”

“Well, this’ll either make you or break you,” Barrett said. “Come on, let’s get dressed and get out there for our shift. The full moon isn’t until the end of next week, so we won’t see that tonight, and the weather’s mild.”

“Thank God for small favors,” Sue said as she stripped to change.

I followed Barrett out. She started talking as we walked. “We average three point four patients every hour of every day in the ER. Of course, that’s an average. You may actually get two or three hours in a row without someone coming in. Which, of course, means that you’ll end up slammed with a multi-car crash on the interstate, or a house fire, or just a bunch of silly, stupid stuff all at once. We have the best staff of any hospital in the state, maybe in the country, and the other hospitals in the area know it. If they get something difficult, or sometimes even not so difficult, they ship it to us. We’ll also catch the overflow from SF General, if they get full. We have a full surgical team on duty around the clock just for the ER, and two more on call every night and weekend. Who’d you do your clinicals with?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close