Here I Go Again: My Second Chance - Cover

Here I Go Again: My Second Chance

Copyright© 2023 by Liza Devereaux

Chapter 10

18:00, August 25, 1983, Home

As we turned onto our street I knew my night wasn’t over. I was pretty sure it was just beginning. There, out in the front yard, was my Dad stalking back and forth across the lawn. His face was dark and angry. He’d gotten himself worked into a real lather. His jaw was clenched, his hands in fists. I could tell when he realized that I was in the neighbor’s car. He marched across the lawn, grabbed the door, and ripped it open. Reaching in, Dad latched his big hand around my arm. He started dragging me out of the car, screaming at me the whole time. “WHAT DID YOU DO? WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO, HARRISON?”

His left hand rose and swung for my face. I didn’t even think; My arm rose and blocked his hand from connecting. He swung again. I felt the power of his swing as, again, I blocked him. He balled his hand back into a fist and started to swing again. Before he could connect or I could block him a third time, Hiram Snodgrass grabbed his arm and stopped him. “What the hell, Robert? What are you doing?”

I looked at Mr. Snodgrass as he held Dad’s arm. Then I looked at my Dad. “I get that you’re angry, Dad. I even get that you think I need to be punished. That’s fine. But most kids my age are punished by being grounded or having something taken away from them. Hell, exercise me until I puke, or put me on bread and water rations.”

“Today, you’re upset because I put three bigger, stronger guys in the hospital. You didn’t ask if I was okay or why I put them in the hospital. It doesn’t matter to you that I did it because they wanted to beat me and rapeAmaryllis. I didn’t let them do those things. I did exactly what was necessary to defend myself and Amaryllis.”

“What if those three had been trying to rape May or Mary Jane? Would you be trying to beat me then? No, you’d be singing my praises. But you didn’t even ask why, only ‘What did you do?’ You didn’t even wait for me to answer your question. You just wanted to beat me. Not because I was wrong, but because you don’t care if I was wrong or not.”

“So let me make this clear, Dad. Are you listening to me? I’m done being maltreated! Done! No one will get away with that anymore. No one will be allowed to hit me. Not some bully, not you, not anyone. If you try to hit me again, and I mean ever again, I will defend myself. If you punish me any other way, I’ll take my punishment, even if I feel that you’re wrong, like this time. But if you try to hit, slap, punch, or beat me, I will fight back.”

“I will do whatever it takes to not be hit. Today that meant taking a stick and putting three rapists and bullies in the hospital. You think about that before you raise your hand to strike me again.”

My dad was so angry he was shaking. “GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! PACK YOUR SHIT AND GET OUT!”

Now my mom was crying. “Robert, no, you don’t mean that!”

“Rosland, do you know what he did today? He put three promising young athletes in the hospital.”

Mom looked at Dad. “Do you know what Harrison did today Robert? Do you have a clue what he did? Because the detective I watched interrogating our son made it very clear exactly what damage he did to your boss’s son and his two friends.”

“Three adults threatened to beat your son senselessly and make him watch as they repeatedly gang-raped our neighbor’s underage daughter. Do you want to punish him for that? He never said he wouldn’t accept punishment, only that he wouldn’t let anyone hit him again. So punish him, but don’t throw him out of the house.”

Dad looked at her. “No one dictates to me in my own house. It’s my house. It’s my way or the highway. My rules, my punishments. My decisions, not his, so he can get right the fuck out of my house.”

Just then both Joseph and the news trucks pulled up. I looked at Dad and lowered my voice to almost a whisper. “That car is my lawyer, Dad. He advised me to not make any comment to the press about the case. But, I could still give them a story. How about I tell them how I got home from being interrogated and even though the police didn’t find a reason to incarcerate me, my own father kicked me out of the house for not allowing someone bigger than me to beat me up? Because it’s his way or the highway and his way, my father’s way is for me to take a beating. I wonder if Child Protective Services will ignore my abandonment by my legal guardian when every eleven o’clock news program broadcasts it? Hey, I know, let’s give them a real show. Take another swing at me, why don’t you? I won’t even block you this time. Go ahead and punch away Dad.”

Dad looked at the trucks and saw the cameramen setting up on the sidewalk. The reporters and cameramen knew the law. They could be arrested for trespassing if they were in our yard or a neighbor’s yard. The sidewalk in front of our house was city property and they had every right to film from there.

“Get in the house. Go upstairs and stay there tonight. However, by the time I get home tomorrow, you will not be here. I’ll call your Pap-pap and Granny. Let them deal with you. You aren’t welcome here anymore.”

Now, Mom was crying and I was the angry one. I looked at Mr. Snodgrass “Would you be willing to take me to my grandparents’ farm tomorrow? Technically they are still inside the city limits.”

He looked at his brother who said, “That’s acceptable, they just told him not to leave town.”

The Colonel just shook his head in disgust. “I’ll drive you out there tomorrow.”

I shook his hand. “Thank you.”

Then I turned to my lawyer. “I’ll send my grandparents’ address and phone number to your office when I get there.”

He nodded and I shook his hand as well. “Thank you for your help today.”

He watched my father turn and storm into the house. “Are you going to be safe here tonight?”

“Well if I’m not you’ll know tomorrow, won’t you?”

“That’s not funny Harrison. Maybe I should take you to your grandparents tonight? Let them know what is going on before it comes on the news?”

I thought about it. “It might be safer. I’ll need to get some boxes to pack up my shit anyway.”

Amaryllis looked at me with tears running down her face. “What about your guidance appointment tomorrow?”

“After today, I doubt they’ll even let me return to school there. I’ll have to figure out some alternative way of getting schooling.”

I hugged her and whispered in her ear. “I’m glad you weren’t hurt today, Rhyll.”

She whispered back with sadness in her voice. “But look at all the trouble you got in saving me. You should have just left me to them.”

I jerked back and looked into her tear-filled eyes. “Don’t ever say anything like that again, Amaryllis. Don’t even think like that. I would have given up everything to keep you safe. Do you know why? Because you are my girlfriend. You are important to me. Nothing would have stopped me from protecting you. Nothing.”

“I knew that it might cost me everything. I was, and still am, willing to die to protect you. I told your dad I would do whatever was necessary to protect those important to me. That’s why I’m going out to my Grandparent’s farm tonight. To protect my Mom and sisters from watching Dad try to punish me and me having to stop him. I can’t let him hit me anymore, but I can’t let my family watch us fight either. That’s my new life motto: Whatever is necessary, that’s what I’ll do. So don’t cheapen what I did for you by saying I shouldn’t have done it. Even now, knowing that I might end up in jail, I’d do it all again.”

I kissed her lightly and then peeled her arms off my neck. I walked into my house to hear my parents arguing. I went into the kitchen where the twins were sitting with tears running down their faces.

When May and Mary Jane saw me they stood and ran to me, both hugging me at the same time. “We are so glad you’re okay! Kent, Aaron, and Todd are so much bigger than you they could have hurt you.” Then May whispered, “Amaryllis isn’t alone you know. There are rumors of other girls being forced by the three of them.”

I pulled back. “Can you get me names? It might help keep me out of Juvie.”

Mary Jane gasped. “But they didn’t arrest you. They let you go, right? Why would they let you go if they’re going to send you to Juvie?”

I wiped her tears first and then May’s. “They let me go because I have a very good lawyer. He threatened to drag the city and the Mayor through the mud on TV, and in the newspapers. But the investigation is still ongoing. I know for a fact the Mayor isn’t going to let me go unpunished. After all, Kent will probably never play ball again. I know he won’t ever be having kids. The detective that questioned me told us that they had to remove his balls because I actually crushed them.”

Both of my sisters stared at me. Then May started giggling. “Our little brother is the ball buster.”

Once the two of them settled down we could still hear Mom and Dad going at each other. “Listen, Dad doesn’t want me staying here anymore. I kind of told him I wouldn’t let him hit me anymore. He ordered me to get out. Mom is trying to get him to change his mind. But it’s not going to work. I’ll never feel safe here. I’m going to pack a bag and go to Pap-pap and Granny’s. Maybe then they’ll quit fighting.”

“But you live here. This is your home, our home.”

I shook my head. “No, it used to be our home. It still is your home, but it isn’t mine anymore.” I sighed and gave them both a half smile. “I don’t think it can be my home anymore. I threatened to fight back. Dad will never accept that and we all know it.”

May wrapped her arms around me and she and Mary Jane started crying again. “We don’t want you to go.”

“You two are acting like I died. I’ll just be out at the farm. Trust me, it’s best for all of us. But I want you both to know that I love you. If you ever need me for anything I’ll be there”

I looked them both in the eye. “I mean it you two, you need me, I’m there. If you need saving or protection; find me. I’ll come running and do whatever is necessary to rescue you. Whatever it takes.”

I hugged them both again and then walked up to my parent’s room and knocked on the open door. They looked at me. “Listen, there is no need for you two to fight. I’m just going to pack a bag and go out to the farm. After our meeting with Mrs. Morris, I’ll get some boxes and pack up.”

I looked at Mom who was working up to defy my father’s wishes. I shook my head. “It’s for the best Mom. You’ll know I’m safe and taken care of.”

My Dad snorted and looked at me with a scornful sneer on his face. “You might as well skip that meeting tomorrow. You are crazy if you think they’ll even let you attend school there. They certainly aren’t going to give you special treatment. You single-handedly just destroyed any chance of a championship football season.”

I should have kept my mouth shut, I knew better than to poke at the bear, but I must have just stopped giving a fuck today. “Well, not single-handedly,” I stated. “It took two hands, a big stick, and three rape-threatening assholes. But hey let’s blame the little guy for not letting a fifteen-year-old innocent girl get gang raped, and ruining our football championship. I mean, there’s no way the eighteen-year-old men could resist forcing that girl to service them. She should have been happy to be raped so we could have happy satisfied football stars. Maybe you should offer them your daughters next time, Dad.”

Dad came charging at me. “You disrespectful little shit.”

I dropped into a defensive posture. “Touch me Dad, and I’ll show you how I put those three in the hospital. I told you no one is going to put their hands on me in violence again.”

I don’t know, maybe he saw the steel in my eyes or the posture of my defensive stance, but instead of striking me he pushed past and stormed out of the house. I looked at Mom who was openly crying now. I wiped her tears like I had done my sisters. Then gave her a hug and kissed her cheek. “He’s probably right about school, but I have to try. Will you come get me from the farm tomorrow?”

She sighed and then nodded. “Yes, and I’ll get some boxes to help you pack too.” She hugged me tighter than my sisters had. “I’m proud of you for standing up for your convictions. I’m just sorry that it looks like it’s destroying our family.”

“I’m sorry, I should have just kept my mouth shut. Listen, Mom, Dad, and I, that was inevitable, you know that right? It may have taken a few more years but it was going to happen. Maybe this is for the best. I’d have to leave in a few years anyway. Just know that I love you. If you ever need me, I’ll be here. You heard me tell Mr. Snodgrass I’ll do whatever is necessary to protect those people important to me, even leave home. But we’re still family and if the time comes when you, the twins, or even Dad, need me; I’ll be there. I’ll do whatever it takes then too.”

Mom sighed. “Go pack a bag and I’ll call your Granny to tell her you’re coming and might need to stay for a while.”

I did as she told me and packed a couple of days’ worth of clothes. I put the diary in my duffel bag along with my toothbrush. Then I grabbed the duffel and my gym bag with my workout clothes in it and with a last hug to each of the women in my family I walked out the door. Did I look back? I admit that I did. I recognized the importance of this moment. It was almost physical. Like I could feel the future shift. I’d changed my most secret shame, I’d made the better choice, the right choice. From this moment on I was on a new path. A path I’d never traveled before.

******

19:30 The Parker Farm

Joseph stopped in front of my grandparent’s front porch. Both Granny and Pap-pap were sitting on the rocking chairs they often occupied after a hard day’s work.

Granny stood and motioned for me to follow her. I held the door open for her and followed her to the room that used to be my father’s when he was younger. “Roseland wasn’t clear about how long you’d need to stay. Only that there was some trouble with your Dad.”

I nodded. “Granny, this is about the dream, the one involving my girlfriend. It happened. Those three tried to rape her. I stopped it. I changed things.”

“What do you mean you changed things?”

“They gave me a choice when I told them to leave her alone. The same choice they gave me in my dream.”

Granny shook her head. “What is wrong with young men today? How could they think she’d enjoy being hurt like that?”

I shrugged. “Don’t ask me because I don’t have a clue. I told them they forgot the third option. They told me there wasn’t a third option. I told them there was always a third option. Option three was I’d put them in the hospital, making sure they couldn’t play football again or even have the equipment to try and rape anyone ever.”

“Oh my! I bet that didn’t go over well.”

“No Kent, the Mayor’s son, tried to sucker punch me. But I used his momentum against him and popped his shoulder out of the socket and tore tendons with it.”

I told her the whole tale right up to Dad trying to hit me and me telling him that I would not allow anyone to hurt me again. “So he ordered me out of the house. Mom tried to get him to change his mind and it led to a big shouting match between them. So to keep the peace I did what he told me to do. I packed some stuff and left.”

Granny sighed. “Well, it was bound to happen eventually. You can only beat a dog for so long before it bites ya.”

I smiled. “Are you calling me a dog, Granny?”

She chuckled. “If the collar fits, Harrison.”

“All jokes aside, I don’t think this is something that Dad and I can put behind us Granny. He thinks I disrespected him in his own house. I may need to stay here until I turn eighteen. But my biggest fear is that he and Mom won’t be able to move past it. I don’t want the result of my choice to destroy my family.”

My Pap-pap and Joseph had just walked in and heard my last statement. Pap-pap cleared his throat. “Son, your choice to stand up for both that little girl and yourself isn’t causing your family to be destroyed. This tension between your Mom and Dad, it’s been there for a few years. I just don’t think you were old enough or mature enough to pick up on it.”

Granny nodded. “Now who is this that brought you out to us?”

I blushed. Leave it to my Granny to remind me that I had an obligation as a gentleman of introducing new people to the family. “Granny, Pap-pap, allow me to introduce you to Joseph Snodgrass. He’s Amaryllis’ uncle and more importantly, he’s my lawyer.”

Joseph smiled and shook my Pap-pap’s hand. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Harrison has impressed me several times today. He is a credit to his family.”

My Granny smiled. “Tain’t no need to be calling us Mr. and Mrs. Parker, Joseph. Everyone jest calls us Pap-pap and Granny Parker. We leave the Mr. and Mrs. to them city Parkers.”

Joseph nodded. “As you wish, Granny.”

He looked at me. “I wanted to talk with you, Harrison. I didn’t have Hiram sign your paperwork yet. We both discussed it and thought that since you are staying here now that maybe your family should sign instead?”

I looked at Pap-pap. “Are you willing to sign some legal papers for me Pap-pap?”

“What kind of legal papers?”

Joseph took over at that point. “Papers that say I’m Harrison’s attorney. I could only represent him today because he paid me a retainer. But before this time tomorrow, I need to file a paper that makes me his attorney of record. Otherwise, the court system could appoint him a court-ordered attorney from legal aid.”

“No offense, but a legal aid lawyer wouldn’t have kept your grandson out of jail tonight, or worked to keep him out of prison, or fought to have the men who threatened him and my niece arrested instead.”

Pap-pap pulled his red bandana hankie out of his coverall back pocket and wiped his face. “Why didn’t you have Harrison’s parents sign it?”

“I wouldn’t let him Pap-pap. If they had signed, then officially Mr. Snodgrass would work for them, and I’d be sitting in an isolation cell at the city jail. Dad was siding with his boss when I got home. I want Mr. Snodgrass to be my lawyer, not Dad’s.”

“Damn fool-headed, educated, kiss ass.”

Granny cleared her throat. “Calvin!”

“Well, he is Beulah, got his lips surgically attached to the Mayor’s brown eye. Won’t even stand up for his son who did the right thing.” He looked at Joseph. “Give me them damn papers. You promise me you’re gonna do right by Harrison and I’ll sign right now.”

“Pap-pap your grandson protected my niece from being ganged raped today. Not only did he protect her, but he put her attackers in the hospital. Not one of them will be rewarded for what they did. Their football days are over. Not only that, but none of them will ever reproduce thanks to your grandson.”

“What isn’t common knowledge, is that my wife and I can’t have children. Amaryllis is our niece, but she’s the closest thing to a child we will ever have. I will take your grandson’s motto as my own, Sir. I promise you that I will do whatever it takes to make sure he is legally protected.”

My Pap-pap nodded and signed his name where Mr. Snodgrass showed him.

“I’ll take my leave of you folks now. Harrison, call my office and give my wife the address and number out here tomorrow.”

“Yes Sir. Oh, just so you know, my sisters are putting together a list for you. Seems there are rumors about other girls that those three have coerced into sexual acts with them.”

“Good. Listen, Amaryllis said that you may have trouble at school because of today. If anyone at the school tries to bully you or keep you from advancing your education, call me right away. If you want, I’ll even meet you at the school tomorrow and ensure that you don’t suffer for your actions today.”

“Thanks, I would appreciate that. I told Amaryllis that I’m pretty sure the Mayor will have left orders for them to not enroll me or cooperate with my education goals. I wanted to be tested for the new gifted program that Amaryllis was tested for. I doubt that will happen now. If it wasn’t for Rhyll and my sisters getting harassed I would try something else for schooling. Private school maybe.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close