Here I Go Again: My Second Chance - Cover

Here I Go Again: My Second Chance

Copyright© 2023 by Liza Devereaux

Chapter 14

We were walking toward the main entrance when there came an exclamation came from inside the administration office. “What are you doing on school property, young man? You are no longer welcome here.”

With those words, Principal Nicolas exited the office, blocking us from leaving.

“I don’t understand. I was just in Mrs. Morris’s office being enrolled for the AP Program.”

Mr. Nicolas was shaking his head. “Absolutely not. We have expelled you from Angel Falls High School. We do not allow violent criminals to attend our school and endanger the upstanding students here.”

Mom’s face turned almost purple with anger and I could see she was about to open a can of verbal whoop-ass on Principal Nicolas. But Joseph laid a hand on her arm and shook his head. “Excuse me, but there are a few misconceptions and outright falsehoods in the statement you just made.”

Principal Nicolas turned his attention to Joseph for the first time. “Excuse Me? Who do you think you are to insert yourself into my conversation?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, let me introduce myself.” Joseph reached into his inner suit pocket and pulled out a silver business card holder. He clicked it open and then took out a card and held it out to Principal Nicolas. “I’m Joseph Snodgrass. Mister Parker’s lawyer. And you are?”

Principal Nicolas straightened himself, trying to appear as intimidating as he could. He ruined the total effect since he looked like the saint whose last name he shared. Santa never looks intimidating to anyone over the age of six.

“I’m Jefferson Nicolas. I’m the principal of this school.”

Joseph nodded. “I see. Perhaps we should take this conversation to your office instead of the middle of the main hallway?”

“Yes, of course, though why we are going to have a discussion is beyond me, we have decided. We expelled Harrison Parker from this school.”

Joseph waited until we were in the administration offices. “Amaryllis, you and Miss Crookshank go back to the guidance office. I’ll come and get you when we are done here.”

She looked like she wanted to argue, but nodded her head. “Okay, Uncle Joseph.”

She and Julie left, and Principal Nicolas led us into his office. Joseph pulled his micro recorder out of his jacket and clicked on the record button. “Joseph Snodgrass, I’m in the office of Principal Jefferson Nicolas of the Angel Falls High School. Speaking with Principal Nicolas about Harrison Parker, who is present with his mother, Rosland Parker. Principal Nicolas has just informed my client that they have expelled him from Angel Falls High. The reason given was that Mr. Parker was and I quote ‘a violent criminal who was a danger to the upstanding students of the school’ end quote.”

Mr. Nicolas looked shocked at seeing the recorder. “What are you doing? I didn’t give permission for our conversation to be recorded.”

“Well, see, that’s another thing you are wrong about, Mr. Nicolas. I don’t need your permission to record this conversation. I just need to ensure that everyone in the room knows the conversation is being recorded. You acknowledge I am recording, so the point of law is covered. Now, it is true that you don’t have to speak to me at all, but you would be wise to at least listen as I explain some things to you.”

“In your statement, you made a few assumptions that are not in fact truthful. First, Mr. Parker is not a violent criminal. To date, Mr. Parker has been free of any criminal activities and has not been arrested. So expelling him for being a violent criminal is not a valid legal reason you can give for expulsion. As an educator, I would think that you know that in the American Justice System, a person is innocent until proven guilty. So until they charge my client with a violent crime or arrest him, there is no legal cause to expel him.”

“Second, to make such an accusation without the facts to back up your statement means you are slandering my client’s good name opening yourself, the school, and if they back you, the board of education, to a civil case of slander. We would ask for punitive damages of around two million dollars for my client’s suffering at such an unfounded accusation.”

“Third, in case you aren’t aware of the fact, Mr. Parker is fifteen-years-old and is by law required to attend school. Unless you have an alternative method of ensuring that my client receives the education he is required by law to have for the next year. If not, then expelling him is illegal and again opens you, the school, and the school board to a civil suit and possibly criminal charges.”

“Fourth, you stated my client is a danger to the upstanding students of this school. However, I must ask, have you expelled the other three involved in the incident behind the Circle K? They did sexually assault a student of this school and wrongfully imprisoned her until Mr. Parker acted in his and her defense. They also threatened to beat my client senseless and make him watch as they raped your student until, in Kent Buckley’s own words, ‘she was begging them to use her again’. Are these the upstanding students that you are protecting? Because I can, as the young woman in question’s uncle, tell you that to allow them in school, with access to my niece, will also bring legal action against you, the school, and the school board.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close