Fertility Pirates - Cover

Fertility Pirates

Copyright© 2023 by Lynn Donovan

Chapter 3

Kita hummed a lullaby as she slowly rocked her baby. His soft, silver-haired crown brushed against the underside of her chin. With each rocking motion, she inhaled and exhaled, drawing in the scent of her baby, absorbing the full sensory of this moment. A smile lifted the edges of her lips. This was even more wonderful than she ever imagined. Did Mom feel this way with us girls? His silky soft silver-white hair, or was it fur, felt so soft to her touch. She couldn’t get enough of him. Sleep gently beckoned her rest-deprived mind.

Beep ... beep ... beep.

What is that? Kita tried to open her eyelids. They were too heavy. She listened closely. Beep ... beep ... beep.

What ... is that? It was irritating. That’s going to wake my baby. Somebody make it stop!

Beep ... beep ... beep.

Stop! Please stop making that noise!

“M’baby!” Kita mumbled.

“Kita, it’s Molly.”

“Maulry, makit stop.”

“Honey, make what stop?”

“Thanoise, makit stop. It’ll wake da baby.”

“Oh, Kita—”

Was Molly crying? Kita slowly forced her eyelids apart. Tubes rose from her body. Rails framed her bed. She reached up to wipe her eyes, but her wrists were held down. Someone was holding her left hand. Fear surged from her gut and into her chest like a tidal wave swamping a lifeboat. “Don’t touch me!”

Someone stood over her. No, wait! She squinted and forced her eyes to focus. It looked like—

“Molly?” How could Molly be here?

“Kita. it’s all right. You’re in the healing station—” Molly squeezed her hand “—on Earth.”

Kita’s eyes darted from the IV machine to ceiling lights, to Molly’s face, and back again. She looked down the length of her body. She was ... on Earth. Her baby was—

“My baby!” Kita fought against the restraints.

“Oh, honey, your baby isn’t here.” Molly gently pushed Kita’s shoulders against the pillow.

“Isn’t ... here?” Kita collapsed under Molly’s gentle press. “They promised!”

“No, he—he isn’t here.”

“Where is he? Molly, where is he?”

“Just rest.”

Mom walked up to the bed. “Baby,” she spoke softly, “it’s going to be all right. You get some rest now. We’re all here—with you. And...” Her tears spilled over her apple-red cheeks. She turned away and dabbed her face with an over-used tissue.

Kita watched her father gather her mother in his arms and guide her to the chair. Her mom whimpered, “Oh Levi, this is so—”

Dad patted her back. “Sarah, honey, I know. I know.”

Molly’s face hovered above Kita’s. The twin beacon engulfed them both as Molly spoke softly. Warm sensations washed over Kita’s body, releasing the anxiety. Her eyelids became heavy again. She resisted the sinking pull, but sleep had other ideas. Or was it the medications? She let Molly’s voice lift her spirit and gently rock it into slumber. It felt good to feel Molly again. “Maulry,” Kita mumbled.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close