Melody's Next Christmas - Cover

Melody's Next Christmas

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 3

Melody stood in the stable behind the bed and breakfast, brushing Sunset. She’d just come back from a ride out past her Pa’s ranch. She’d sat at the top of the hill looking out over the valley that her only home sat in, and cried at the injustice of it all. She’d just read that England’s parliament had passed a law, a few weeks ago, allowing a woman to own land. Why couldn’t her own country pass such a law? It wasn’t right that Brent Cooke got the ranch and reputation she and her Pa had worked so hard to build. The longer she’d sat the angrier she’d become, until she’d jumped up and raced Sunset across the open plain. When the thrill of rushing through the open expanse had calmed her, she turned back to town.

She wouldn’t waste any more time crying over what should have been but wouldn’t be and she’d forge a new life for herself somewhere. Maybe she should save her wages and see about moving to England. Surely they needed horses there as well and if she took Sunset and found a stud to breed her with over there she might be able to buy some land and start her own breeding and training stable. At least over there if she bought the land it would be hers and no man could take it from her.

She turned at the sound of a throat clearing behind her. “Excuse me, miss, but would your name happen to be Miss Melody Hughes?”

She looked at the man in preacher’s clothes. His mostly grey hair was perfectly in place and his eyes caused her breath to catch in her chest at their intensity. “I am, Reverend, how can I help you?”

The old man’s face broke into a smile that caused his eyes to almost pulse with light. “I heard that you might be looking for a ranch that needs a trainer.”

“Don’t make fun of me, Reverend, it isn’t funny. We both know that no man is going to hire me to train horses or do any other kind of ranch work. I’ve only been offered two kinds of employment, or the option of marriage, which combines both kinds together.”

The old man nodded. “I’m sure that’s true but I do have an offer to make you and it’s not to be a wife or a housekeeper. Why don’t we go inside and let me tell you about it?”

They entered through the back door and went into the kitchen. Clara watched them come in. “Oh, you found her, Reverend Johnson. Good, I was getting worried.”

Melody sighed, “I told you I was going to exercise Sunset, Clara. I was perfectly safe.”

“Well, you were gone a long time, Melody. I wasn’t sure if you’d decided to take Brent up on his offer or if you had taken a fall and were hurt, or if you just got lost riding your mare through the countryside.”

“I just went for a ride. No danger, no returning to that boorish man either. I’ll not give up on my dreams, Clara, not for Brent Cooke, not for anyone; and if I can’t make them happen here I’ll find a place where I can make them happen.”

“I believe I can help with that, my dear.” The older Reverend smiled at Melody, “As I was telling you I have a gentleman who just bought a ranch and he needs someone to teach him how to work it like your father’s ranch was worked when he was alive.”

Melody looked at him. “Where is the ‘gentleman’ from and where is his ranch?”

“He is from the New Mexico territory. He’s kin to the Ryder family and his new ranch is here in Montana.”

Melody frowned as his answers gave her more questions than they did answers. “If he is kin to the Ryders, why does he need me? He could ask Nugget Nate to send him someone or to come himself and show him how to ranch.”

“He would prefer to do this on his own. He is trying to show that he can make it on his own without relying on his family. You might say that, just like you Melody, he has a need to prove himself.”

“And you’re certain-sure he won’t mind having a woman to show him how to ranch? I don’t know of any man besides my Pa who was willing to let me do what I did. I don’t want to agree to take this job and then get there and not be able to work when he realizes I’m a woman.”

“He knows that you are a woman and it didn’t bother him. Remember he is kin to the Ryders, he knows strong women and that they are just as capable as a man.”

“What does the job pay?”

“He didn’t tell me what he was planning to offer you pay-wise. He did say that he would provide you with a room in his main house and feed you as well as pay you. I’m sure you and he can come to some sort of agreement after we get there.”

Clara gasped. “You mean she will be living with an unmarried man in his home? Reverend, you should know better, her reputation will be ruined.”

“I assure you that every precaution will be taken to keep her reputation intact. As she has already stated, she plans to see her dreams fulfilled no matter what, so I do believe her reputation will survive this.”

Clara looked at Melody and placed her hands on her hips. “Melody Hughes, don’t you even think about it. It’s scandalous enough that you refused to marry and insist on doing men’s work. If you do this no decent man will marry you afterwards.”

The reverend cleared his throat and laid a hand on Melody’s. “Miss Hughes, you have my word. If you take this job and see it through to the end, I guarantee that you will see your hopes, dreams, and truest heart desires fulfilled.”

“When do we leave?”

Reverend Johnson slapped the table with a huge smile on his face. “You’ll take the position then?”

“Yes, but I’m taking Sunset with me. I raised her and trained her and I won’t go without her.”

“Hmm, yes, well, I believe that shouldn’t be an issue. We’ll leave tomorrow if that is fine with you?”

“I’ll be ready.”

“Good then, let’s have a toast to your new adventure.” The Reverend pulled a flask from his inside jacket pocket and Clara gasped. “Reverend!”

He looked up at her and saw the look on her face at his flask. He laughed. “It’s water, my dear. From the spring outside my home. I carry it to toast special occasions with.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close