Melody's Next Christmas - Cover

Melody's Next Christmas

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 4

Melody woke to a horrendous sound like a tornado, only faster. Then it faded to a sound like thunder and soon was gone. Her eyes were fuzzy and her head hurt like she’d been bucked off a bronc and onto her skull. The room around her looked strange and not at all like her room at the Bed and Breakfast, and it most certainly wasn’t like her bed back on the ranch. Where was she?

She noticed that while the tornado sound was gone, there were lots of other unfamiliar sounds coming from outside. When she got out of bed and opened the curtain, she instantly shut it again. What she’d seen was a nightmare. That was it; she was dreaming! She had to be dreaming, things like she was seeing don’t exist.

She threw herself back into the bed as she heard another one of those roaring noises overhead. She’d no sooner pulled the covers up than a knock came at the door, followed by Reverend Johnson calling out her name. “Miss Hughes, are you awake? I need to talk to you if you are.”

Her eyes narrowed. She didn’t know how, but something told her this was all real and it was that man’s fault. “Come in.”

The door opened. “My dear, I see you’re awake, we need to talk and then you need to dress; your meeting with Mister Ryder is today.”

“What is going on here? Where am I? What is all this noise, and while you’re explaining, tell me what all those things are outside the window.”

The man who had claimed to be a reverend had a look of guilt on his face. “I was hoping to get to you before you woke, my dear. Unfortunately, your horse reacted about as badly as you seem to be doing.”

That caused her to almost jump out of bed until she realized she was in her nightclothes. “Sunset! Is she alright?”

The man nodded. “Yes, I got her calmed down, but as you can see it put me behind in getting to you before you realized something strange had happened. Let me explain it to you.”

He swallowed nervously. “What I told you was the truth. I know a rancher who needs your help and wants to learn to ranch like your father. Well, not exactly like your father, but like any rancher in the time you’re from.”

Melody’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean, the time I’m from?”

“My dear, while you slept I brought you from January 1871 to July of the year 2018.”

“You’re insane!”

Johnson shook his head. “I’m not! Can you explain the things you saw outside your window? The only logical explanation, as hard as it is for you to accept, is the truth. You are now one hundred and forty-seven years in the future. I, my dear, am a man tasked with offering people born in the wrong times a second chance.

You, with your belief that you can ranch as well as any man and the desire to do things women in your time couldn’t do. You deserve a second chance to see your dreams come true. So I brought you here. To a time when they can. Men and women have equal rights at this time. Women have the same rights as men and work alongside them, sometimes even in positions of authority over them all the time now.”

“I’m in the future?”

“You’re in the future based on where you were when you went to bed last night. But honestly, you’re in the present.”

“What are those things outside?”

“Those are the way people get around now; they are automobiles, but most people call them cars and trucks. Cars are the smaller things. They make trucks to haul not only people but possessions. That gigantic roar you hear in the sky is a type of transportation called an airplane. People get in them and fly long distances in a very short amount of time.”

She laughed. “You expect me to believe people can fly.”

“Believe it or not makes no difference. What I need you to understand is that there are rules to this second chance. First, you must complete the job I’ve given you. You must teach Mr. Ryder everything he needs to know to make his ranch run like an 1800s horse and cattle ranch.

Second, you absolutely cannot tell anyone you come from the past. If you do, your trip will end instantly and not pleasantly. There is a reason you travel while asleep. To help you explain the differences between you and other people, we have created a history for you.

You were raised in a community that has forsaken all modern convinces and live just like they did in the 1800s; that’s why you are an expert. However, you wanted to see the real world, which is why you left. But because you left, you can’t go back as they think you’re tainted by technology. Other than that, I have things you need. Birth certificate, social security card, and even ID, not a driver’s license. Please don’t drive a car or truck without learning how first they can be dangerous.”

He handed her a packet in a large envelope. “This is all the paperwork we just talked about. Please don’t lose them.

Finally, if you are successful in helping Mister Ryder. At the end of your contract with him, I will return you to your time and ensure that you are set up with a ranch of your own. Somewhere that you can own land and a business training horses. However, at the end of the contracted time, you will leave this time and return to your own. That my dear is unavoidable.”

“I don’t understand, if this place and time are perfect for me why return me to my time?”

The Reverend sighed. “My job isn’t just to help you. I must also help Mister Ryder with his concerns. He wants to learn to ranch like it’s the 1800s. You want to work as a horse trainer and rancher. This way I’m able to give you both what you need and desire. However, this is a temporary job. This isn’t your time and your staying would mess up too much that I can’t explain to you.

Now get dressed. I placed your belongings in the bag at the foot of the bed. I know you will feel them inappropriate, but please for today, wear the clothes hung in the closet. Your things from your time will be great once the ranch is open, but for now, it would make you stand out.”

Melody open the closet and looked at a dress or what looked like half a dress. “Are you dressing me like a saloon girl, Reverend? Is this a ranch or a brothel you’re taking me to?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close