Melody's Next Christmas - Cover

Melody's Next Christmas

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 5

Melody was still trying to overcome the shock. She’d hated riding in that machine the Reverend called a car. But what shocked her more than anything was seeing the man who came out of the building and helped her out of the car.

It was like he’d stepped out of her dream from the night before. He had the same dark hair and mossy green eyes that seemed to see right into her very soul. Her heart, which was already beating rapidly from her car ride, had seemed to skip as he looked into her face and asked if she was alright.

How was it possible that she’d dreamed of him before she even knew he existed? Truth be told, she’d dreamed of him before he did exist. About one hundred and forty-seven years before he existed.

So far, he’d proven to be different from any man she’d met before. He’d been kind and polite, but he hadn’t tried to take over as she calmed Sunset. Nor had he been bossy about what she should do or shouldn’t do. She’d noticed he’d watched her closely as she took care of Sunset and got her horse settled in. He hadn’t even balked when she’d ask for feed for the horse but had disappeared into the barn and returned with a feed bag full of sweet grain. Only once Sunset was settled had he suggested they go inside and talk, once again becoming the gentleman and opening the door for her.

She was amazed at the building. There were lights that glowed with what she knew was electricity, even if she’d never seen them before. She knew about the electric lights that were showing up in the big cities in her time. What surprised her most was that the inside of the building was comfortably cool, even though the July temperature outside was hot. This modern time would take some getting used to. She just hoped she could keep from giving away her newness to this modern world and violating the Reverend’s rules.

Again, Mr. Ryder held her chair for her at the large table they sat at and offered her a drink. “No, thank you.” She looked over at the Reverend as she said that. Melody realized that the last thing she’d done before sleeping and traveling was drink the glass of water he’d offered her. She thought it might be wise not to have anything to drink in his presence. Not that he’d send her back yet. Obviously, he wanted her to finish her job here. Mr. Ryder, who took a seat across from her, snagged her attention.

“Thank you again for coming in, Miss Hughes. Reverend Johnson hasn’t told me much about you, only that you are an expert on ranching in the 1800s and that you train horses using those methods. Is horse ranching and training your only experience in that era?”

Melody thought about how to answer him without violating the rules the Reverend gave her. And without lying to this man who came out of her dreams. “No, I grew up in a community and on a ranch where this was the way of life. We lived just like people did back then.”

There was an excited gleam in Mr. Ryder’s eye. “Oh, was it a tourist destination like we are going to be?”

She wasn’t sure what he meant by tourist destination, but before she could answer, the Reverend had cleared his throat and answered for her. “Mr. Ryder, Miss Hughes, grew up in a closed community that had forsaken all modern comforts. They didn’t allow anyone from outside the community to enter, and they lived as if it were the 1800s. She wished to leave and experience something different and make a name for herself as a horse breeder and trainer. However, to be allowed to do, so she isn’t allowed to talk about the community directly or return there. I hope you would honor her commitments and not put her in a tough place.”

The rancher looked shocked. “Of course, I apologize, Miss Hughes. Obviously, if you lived as if it were that time period then, you are indeed an expert. I wonder if you’d like to ride down and look at the ranch, maybe see if you can help us and demonstrate this horse training method you use?”

He wanted her to come down onto the ranch and actually work. “I’d need to change into some more fitting clothing. I hope it won’t offend you if I wear britches and a man’s shirt to work with the horses?”

He smiled. “Not at all. While I’m sure that was frowned on where you came from, we have no such hang-ups here. You’ll meet my sister and you’ll see she doesn’t dress appropriately either. However, I will ask that you dress appropriately while we have paying guests on the ranch. Other times, you can dress as you wish.”

“I usually wear a dress over my britches, but once the men would leave for their assignments, I’d take it off. The flowing and swishing would startle the horses early in their training. Later I wore them to help settle the horses once I’d gotten them mostly trained.”

“That sounds like a wise thing to do, Miss Hughes. Would you like to change now? I could saddle up Sunset for you so you could ride her down to the ranch. I have a wagon we could use, but I thought you might like to exercise her and bring her down to get comfortable with the stables she’ll occupy if you take the job.”

“I’m not sure you could saddle her. She won’t let anyone else near her for the most part. My father could, before his passing, but no one else has ever gotten close and I would warn you to tell your men no one can ride her, she won’t allow it.”

“I’ll let them know, but I’d like to try to saddle her. If it seems to upset her, I’ll stop. I have a way with horses as well.” He smiled at her, and Melody felt as if her heart had galloped right out of her chest. She knew she blushed and hated her light complexion that gave away her emotions. “Then, by all means, Mr. Ryder, try if you must.”

He smiled and stood as she did. “The restrooms are in the lobby and I would like it if you’d call me Tallis or even Tall as my family does, Miss Hughes.”

His offer shocked her to call him by his given name or even more so by his family pet name. But then, she called most of her Pa’s men by their cowboy names. “Of course, Tallis, but only if you’ll call me Melody.”

Tallis smiled as if she’d offered him a splendid gift. “A lovely name for a lovely woman. I’d be honored, Melody.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close