Melody's Next Christmas - Cover

Melody's Next Christmas

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 8

There were indeed some things about this modern time Melody was coming to love. The first being a warm shower. Where getting ready to be courted would have taken a lot of time back in 1870, just to heat water and take a bath alone. Stepping into a shower that was already warm every day was quickly becoming her favorite thing.

She still had trouble with what they viewed as acceptable attire in this time. She had asked Sara to pick her up some modern clothing while she was out and especially undergarments since wearing a corset and everything she wore in her time didn’t go with most of the modern clothing.

It had been hard to explain without admitting that she was from a different time why she didn’t know her sizes. But a quick measuring tape and a look on Sara’s cellphone at something called Google had taken care of that issue.

Now here she was in a pair of britches, called jeans, and a top that Sara had told her was acceptable and cute. It kept falling off one shoulder and showed more of her bosom than she ever would have thought would be acceptable to display to a man who was not her husband. At least they had allowed her to put a jacket on over it to protect her arms on the motorcycle. Her stomach had clenched and heat had filled her cheeks when Tallis had seen her and told her she looked absolutely lovely.

The other thing she loved about this modern time was Tallis’ motorcycle. He was right; it was a lot like riding a horse, only faster than any she’d ever ridden. It had felt scandalous to sit behind Tallis and wrap her arms around the hard muscles of his stomach, leaning against his body so close they felt almost like one.

However, after a few minutes of speeding down the road. The exhilaration of being free to hold him and experience the feeling of speed against her face with the wind whipping past her had caused her to somewhat relax. It didn’t hurt that the air flowing past her brought with it the smell that she was quickly realizing belonged to the man she was holding on to.

The smell of horse, leather, and the outdoors along with something deep and all Tallis. It was a smell that made her blood burn within her. His words from earlier had lit a hope within her that didn’t want to die. The Ryder family, at least Nugget Nate whom she had met once, was known for making miracles happen. She didn’t know who this Nathan Ryder was that he’d mentioned, but she assumed he was a descendant of Nate’s as well. Another Ryder man who had done impossible things. Was it possible that the dream she’d had before meeting Tallis, of him as the love of her life, children that looked like him, was a glimpse of her actual future?

She didn’t know, but what she knew was that every time he said he wanted her to be his, every time he hinted at wanting to court her or marry her, she felt something no other man had ever made her feel. His words fluttered around in her stomach even now when she just thought about them. She took a chance and breathed a brief prayer that Tallis was right. That when Reverend Johnson returned, she would indeed become a Ryder in name and truth.

Her thoughts were brought to a stop when Tallis turned off the machine they were riding and helped her off the back of the thing. In front of them was the biggest building that Melody had ever seen, and the area in front of the building was filled with those cars and trucks. “What is this place?”

Tallis laughed. “This is the supercenter. It’s kind of like a dry good and mercantile all rolled into one enormous store. We’re meeting Sara here and she is going to help you get some of those clothes and things you told her you didn’t have.

While your 1800s attire is great for when we have guests, you need modern clothes for work and other times. So she asked me to bring you here so she could help you get what you need. I needed a few things too, so; I thought, why not? We can go out after this and Sara can take our things back to the ranch for us.”

Melody bit her lip. “I don’t need these things, Tallis, I can’t afford them.”

“Consider them part of your contract, Melody. Or better yet, consider them courting gifts. I take care of the people that are mine. You need to start understanding that you are mine.”

She shook her head. “It’s too much for a courting gift and very inappropriate. Some candy or a ribbon for my hair, maybe. Not my clothing or more personal items. Those are something for a husband or father to provide, not a suitor.”

Tallis grinned and tilted her head up to look him in the eyes. She was instantly caught in the fire she saw in them. “That’s just fine by me, Melody Hughes if you want to see them as gifts from your husband. Because in six months or fewer, you will become my wife.”

She blushed and bit her lip “You must stop saying that, Mr. Ryder. I told you it’s impossible.”

He shocked her by leaning down and kissing her forehead. “I excel at doing the impossible, Melody. Nothing will stop me from winning your love. Not some contract, not the Reverend, not even time itself. You will be my wife and we will have that forever kind of love that people dream of. Even if I have to shatter heaven and earth to make it happen.”

Melody wanted to tell him he didn’t know what he was up against. However, looking into his eyes and seeing the fire of determination burning in them. She wasn’t sure that he wouldn’t create the miracle that it would take for them to belong to one another. She was almost convinced he’d create it right there, out of the thin air. Melody sent up a silent prayer that for once she was wrong and this wonderfully handsome man could do what he claimed.

*****

Tallis watched with amusement as his little sister, Sara Marie, introduced Melody to the joys of retail shopping. He could see the joy on his sister’s face as she played dress-up with a real live person. While typically he shopped like most men, went and got what he needed, and got out. He was enjoying the fashion show that his sister was making Melody give him.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close