Sunrunner - Cover

Sunrunner

Copyright© 2023 by K. P. Sweeney

Chapter 4

“Well doc, are we fucked?” Odybrix asked.

“Are you requesting a prognosis regarding the radiation exposure?”

“Well, I’m certainly not asking about hemorrhoids.”

“Your last physical did not reveal any hem-”

“How bad is the RAD, Jim?”

“You received an approximate dose of 1000 to 1600 RAD. This is likely to cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatiguuuu-”

A swathe of mircobots composing Jim’s mouth stopped projecting his face and began vibrating disturbingly. Odybrix was immediately reminded of those old science experiments she saw as a kid—the ones where they stuck a speaker next to a ferrofluid and made it do a spiky dance. She considered smacking him upside the head as if he were a troublesome radio, but was concerned her hand would just sweep through the microbots, or worse, get stuck in them.

“-can be corrected with a two-week course of medication,” he concluded as his projectors flickered on and his face stabilized. “It appears the radiation has caused several issues with my hardware.”

“Do you need replacement parts or something?”

“No. The radiation pills contain nanobots. They will function on artificial beings.”

“Great. Can we have some drugs now?”

“No. Our medical inventory does not contain radiation pills.”

“Fuck. ZT,” she said, hitting the pager in the medical bay, “can we set a course for the nearest station before a war breaks out over the toilet?”

“It’s going to have to wait,” Zenith said. “We’re getting a message from Remington. Putting it on ship-wide.”

Speakers throughout the spacecraft crackled and an imperious, familiar voice spoke, “Crew of the Sunrunner, this is Vaughan Spectre. Communications have been restored to the outpost. While the established perimeters of your mission have been completed, the needs of Remington Corporation have changed. An item was stolen from the facility. We request that you retrieve it. The object in question is of unknown origin and will be easily identified. A barquentine-class spacecraft was detected in orbit around the planet’s red moon. We believe this to be the mothership of the mercenaries who assaulted the facility. You will be paid one hundred thousand credits upon the item’s return. As a show of good faith, we have deposited double the reward for the previous objective into your account.”

There was a brief, pregnant silence among the crew as they absorbed the message, then the comms exploded with chatter. The chatter became a debate, then devolved into arguments, and then shifted into incoherent shouting. Somewhere in the background, Buddy was heard vomiting. Odybrix, priding herself on a voice that transcended her modest size, managed to shout down the rest of the crew and politely suggest they meet in the cargo hold. Peppering requests with expletives always seemed to move things along, like a laxative for conversations. When they gathered around the old wooden table, the crew eyed one another, waiting for someone to take the reins of the discussion.

“Before everyone starts flailing their arms around screaming about the payday, we need to know something,” Odybrix said, taking a seat on a chair too large for her,” Ozzy, is the ship where that oily corpo sleezefuck says it is?”

“That and more. Looks like an interceptor and a tartan are flanking it.”

“We’re outgunned,” Adam said.

“Not necessarily,” Hilde chimed in over comms, “I mean, more guns than our single plasma cannon? Yes. But the quality of those ships and weapons are frankly repulsive. From this distance it looks like they’ve gotten into a few scraps but haven’t made an attempt to clean themselves up. I couldn’t say how extensive the damage is without getting closer.”

“Given the action we saw planetside, it’s likely a low-end merc group hired by whoever was piloting that mech,” Adam said.

“I can outpilot the two small birds. The barq’s my concern. It’s big enough to hold a few surprises,” Zenith said. “Anything coming up on scans?”

“Only if you dare get closer, darling.”

“Are we going to talk about the weird flesh-melty thing behind the glass?” Buddy asked, clutching her stomach.

“Yeah, it was terrible. We should leave now and fly to the other end of the galaxy,” Hoxley said without a hint of hyperbole.

“Your behavior was erratic within the facility!” BOB said, interjecting, “specifically regarding the anomaly behind the glass! Do you know something about the research being conducted?”

“What? No. I’m a cook. I have also made it very clear that I am averse to situations where I could be shot, exploded, vaporized, or have my flesh melt off.”

“You think about your flesh melting off? Is that what normal people do?” Buddy asked with absolute sincerity.

“No, nobody thinks about that,” Adam said.

“I do!” Hoxley said, raising his voice.

“This statement is factual,” Jim said. “He twice expressed a fear of flamethrowers during his initial medical examination.”

“We can put the flesh monster on the ‘shit to give a fuck about later’ shelf. For now, we just have to decide whether we are going after whoever stole Remington’s secret toy,” Odybrix said.

“I’m in, but I don’t have RAD poisoning. Not as bad as the rest of you anyway,” Zenith said.

“Me too,” Buddy said, her face now exhibiting a green undertone—she was always up for anything.

“I think it’s a bad idea,” Adam said, “but if you’re going, I’ll have your back.”

“Good kid,” Odybrix said.

“We’re the same age. I take it that means you’re in?”

“Hundred-K payday and a chance to steal secret Remington research? Hell yes, I’m in.”

“We can’t get the money without turning over whatever is stolen, you know that, right?”

“You just leave that to me.”

“Everyone to battle stations,” Ozzy said, “the tartan and interceptor are inbound.”

“Looks like they aren’t going to wait for a democratic decision,” Zenith shouted as she spun away from the crew and ran to the cockpit.

The rest of the crew followed suit. Adam sped after Zenith to man weapons; BOB parked himself by the engine; Hoxley ran to the nearest seat with a harness and strapped in; Buddy ... the ship’s toilet wooshed. Buddy was taking care of business. Odybrix calmly hopped out of her seat and went to the weapon’s room. The others could take care of business in a dogfight. She needed to prepare for when they boarded that barq. Not going to scare us off twice, super-mech. She opened a drawer full of explosives.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close