Fragmented Paths - Cover

Fragmented Paths

by Rodriac Copen

Copyright© 2024 by Rodriac Copen

Science Fiction Story: Dr. Aline Knorr, a phenomenal neuroscientist, makes a discovery that could transform our understanding of the mind. Together with her assistant Esther, Knorr accidentally stumbles upon the ability to access the superconscious, a higher plane where all minds are connected across time. This revelation not only opens the door to communicating with past versions of oneself, but also to altering one's decisions and thereby changing the course of the present.

Tags: Alternate Universe   Alternate Timeline   Romance  

Dr. Aline Knorr was a brilliant neuroscientist who had dedicated her life to unraveling the mysteries of the human mind. Together with her assistant Esther, a passionate young researcher, they had been working on an experimental project that combined the study of brain frequencies and concentration. What began as an investigation into different neural states had taken an unexpected turn towards a deeper discovery.

During a routine session in the laboratory, Aline was adjusting the scales to measure the brain frequency of a test subject, when something strange occurred in the device intended to measure brain activity.

The results did not match the expected patterns. Esther, sitting next to the patient, was watching the screen cautiously when she whispered to Dr. Knorr : “Look at those spikes, Aline ... they are not normal. The brain resonance is outside of what we have recorded so far.”

Aline stared at the screen. “I know ... But there’s something here. It’s like the waves are responding to something else ... something more external than the subject’s concentration. We’re going to repeat the experiment, but this time we’ll set the frequency generator to maximum resonance. I want to see what happens when it reaches the limit.”

Esther agreed and adjusted the generator. They both watched in silence as the subject’s brain waves aligned with the new frequency. Suddenly, the readings changed dramatically, showing completely unknown patterns at a very high frequency.

Aline said quietly, almost to herself, “This isn’t just normal brain activity ... It seems we’re picking up something else.”

Esther looked on in amazement. “Aline, do you know what this means? “It’s unlike anything we’ve seen in previous measurements.”

Aline was excited and answered very quietly to avoid upsetting Frank, the test subject whose brain they were studying - “Esther, I think Frank has come into contact with a higher plane of consciousness. Do you remember the theory of superconsciousness? The concept that all minds are linked at a deeper level, beyond time and space...” - Esther was perplexed - “Yes, but that’s just speculative theory. Are you saying that Frank found a way to access that plane?” -

Aline said, “It seems so. What we’re seeing here isn’t simply Frank’s mind activity in the present. If that’s what I’m saying ... it’s as if his brain waves are interacting with his own versions of the past. The superconsciousness works on timeless planes. If I’m right, Frank could be sending thoughts, intentions ... into the past ... into the superconsciousness.”

Esther frowned, doubtful. “Sending thoughts back in time? That sounds ... impossible, Aline. How could something like that work without breaking every law we know of?”

Aline smiled with a mix of excitement and fear. “That’s also where quantum physics reigns. At the most fundamental level of superconsciousness, time is not linear, it’s a series of probabilities. If consciousness can navigate that space ... it could influence past events. What I’m suggesting is that our minds, through superconsciousness, may be able to alter the past. Think about what this means: we could rewrite decisions, modify the course of our current lives to better standards.”

Esther stepped back a little, impressed but uneasy. “It’s fascinating, but also dangerous. If we change something in the past, what would happen to our present? How would we control paradoxes?”

Frank, the test subject, seemed to come out of the deep trance he was experiencing as his brain waves returned to normal waking state. Both Aline and Esther watched him with curiosity. Once the man was conscious and awake, he sat up from the table. Dr. Knorr and her assistant set about removing the sensors and probes attached to different parts of his body.

She didn’t want to influence the man’s observations, so Aline asked him casually, trying not to sound nervous. “So, Frank? How’s your meditation going?”

Frank stretched out in satisfaction, as if he had been sleeping for a long time. “Excellent, doctor! For the first time since you studied me, I reached a state of deep meditation ... I managed to locate my Akashic records.” The man seemed excited.

Aline confirmed - “We saw something different today in the brain waves. Something we didn’t see in the previous sessions.” She didn’t want to be more specific. - “Tell me, Frank, what did you do with your Akashic records?”

Frank replied as the last electrodes were being removed from his arms - “Well, nothing unusual. I tried to open them up, look for what was bothering me and somehow draw conclusions and see how the problem would go away ... the usual.” He made a small movement with his shoulders.

If Aline and Esther’s conclusions were correct, then it was precisely man’s contact with these Akashic records that was what scientists called the superconsciousness. To make contact with it was to reach the collective unconscious of psychiatrists, which governed the basic morphology of human thoughts. And above all, it connected living beings in a space outside the material reality of three dimensions and operated outside of time.

If all had gone well, Frank, through interaction with the superconsciousness, should have operated on his problems in the immediate past and generated changes that would somehow modify his present.

Now came the important part: they would compare his vital signs before the meditation with his current vital signs to see if the change had taken place. Aline waited anxiously while Esther took the new parameters. Frank’s blood pressure had dropped slightly, his heart rate had decreased by five percent. His muscle tone had relaxed by ten percent. The rest of the parameters remained the same and stable.

Esther knew that this research had special value for Aline.

Dr. Knorr had spent years trapped in a loveless marriage, where the initial glow of the relationship had long since faded. Although she deeply loved her two children, the weight of unhappiness she felt with her husband was suffocating her. What tormented the researcher most was not the present, but a persistent question she had never been able to silence: what would have happened if she had not left Roger, her boyfriend?

Roger had been her youthful boyfriend, the man who had made her feel complete, understood and loved. They had separated for reasons that at the time seemed insurmountable: divergent life goals and professional dreams that led them down different paths.

Then Aline met her future husband, a stable and reliable man, but over time he had lost his passion and connection. The affection she had once felt for him had dissolved into routine and indifference. Doubts and regrets about her relationship with Roger had begun to blossom like shadows she could not ignore.

That all changed the day Aline made a groundbreaking discovery in her lab. As a neuroscientist, she was one of the most brilliant minds of her generation, and together with her young assistant Esther, they had been investigating the limits of human consciousness. In the midst of an experiment with brain frequencies and quantum theories of time, Aline had accidentally unlocked a technique that apparently allowed people to send thoughts into the past – more specifically, to their past selves who were part of what scientists had begun to call “Superconsciousness.”

This technique not only allowed her to communicate with previous versions of herself, but also to influence her past decisions to modify the present. Aline immediately understood the power she had in her hands, and the temptation was impossible to resist. What if she could change that one decision that had ruined her life? What would have become of her life if she had chosen to stay with Roger, the love of her life?

Sitting in the lab, with the lights dimmed and their brain waves synchronized, Aline breathed deeply. Esther watched from a corner, worried. After the initial success with Frank, Dr. Knorr did not want to waste any more time and had decided to become a guinea pig for her own research.

Esther asked for the umpteenth time - “Aline, are you sure about this? You know we can’t foresee the consequences.”

Aline stared into space as she reflected on her own life. She replied, “I can’t keep wondering ‘ what if... ‘. I can’t keep living with that doubt. I have to try.”

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close