A Witch Shall Be Born - Cover

A Witch Shall Be Born

Public Domain

Chapter 4: Wolves of the Desert

Olgerd Vladislav filled his jeweled goblet with crimson wine from a golden jug and thrust the vessel across the ebony table to Conan the Cimmerian. Olgerd’s apparel would have satisfied the vanity of any Zaporoskan hetman.

His khalat was of white silk, with pearls sewn on the bosom. Girdled at the waist with a Bakhauriot belt, its skirts were drawn back to reveal his wide silken breeches, tucked into short boots of soft green leather, adorned with gold thread. On his head was a green silk turban, wound about a spired helmet chased with gold. His only weapon was a broad curved Cherkees knife in an ivory sheath girdled high on his left hip, kozak fashion. Throwing himself back in his gilded chair with its carven eagles, Olgerd spread his booted legs before him, and gulped down the sparkling wine noisily.

To his splendor the huge Cimmerian opposite him offered a strong contrast, with his square-cut black mane, brown scarred countenance and burning blue eyes. He was clad in black mesh-mail, and the only glitter about him was the broad gold buckle of the belt which supported his sword in its worn leather scabbard.

They were alone in the silk-walled tent, which was hung with gilt-worked tapestries and littered with rich carpets and velvet cushions, the loot of the caravans. From outside came a low, incessant murmur, the sound that always accompanies a great throng of men, in camp or otherwise. An occasional gust of desert wind rattled the palm-leaves.

‘Today in the shadow, tomorrow in the sun, ‘ quoth Olgerd, loosening his crimson girdle a trifle and reaching again for the wine-jug. ‘That’s the way of life. Once I was a hetman on the Zaporoska; now I’m a desert chief. Seven months ago you were hanging on a cross outside Khauran. Now you’re lieutenant to the most powerful raider between Turan and the western meadows. You should be thankful to me!’

‘For recognizing my usefulness?’ Conan laughed and lifted the jug. ‘When you allow the elevation of a man, one can be sure that you’ll profit by his advancement. I’ve earned everything I’ve won, with my blood and sweat.’ He glanced at the scars on the insides of his palms. There were scars, too, on his body, scars that had not been there seven months ago.

‘You fight like a regiment of devils, ‘ conceded Olgerd. ‘But don’t get to thinking that you’ve had anything to do with the recruits who’ve swarmed in to join us. It was our success at raiding, guided by my wit, that brought them in. These nomads are always looking for a successful leader to follow, and they have more faith in a foreigner than in one of their own race.

‘There’s no limit to what we may accomplish! We have eleven thousand men now. In another year we may have three times that number. We’ve contented ourselves, so far, with raids on the Turanian outposts and the city-states to the west. With thirty or forty thousand men we’ll raid no longer. We’ll invade and conquer and establish ourselves as rulers. I’ll be emperor of all Shem yet, and you’ll be my vizier, so long as you carry out my orders unquestioningly. In the meantime, I think we’ll ride eastward and storm that Turanian outpost at Vezek, where the caravans pay toll.’

Conan shook his head. ‘I think not.’

Olgerd glared, his quick temper irritated.

‘What do you mean, you think not? I do the thinking for this army!’

‘There are enough men in this band now for my purpose, ‘ answered the Cimmerian. ‘I’m sick of waiting. I have a score to settle.’

‘Oh!’ Olgerd scowled, and gulped wine, then grinned. ‘Still thinking of that cross, eh? Well, I like a good hater. But that can wait.’

‘You told me once you’d aid me in taking Khauran, ‘ said Conan.

‘Yes, but that was before I began to see the full possibilities of our power, ‘ answered Olgerd. ‘I was only thinking of the loot in the city. I don’t want to waste our strength unprofitably. Khauran is too strong a nut for us to crack now. Maybe in a year--’

‘Within the week, ‘ answered Conan, and the kozak stared at the certainty in his voice.

‘Listen, ‘ said Olgerd, ‘even if I were willing to throw away men on such a hare-brained attempt--what could you expect? Do you think these wolves could besiege and take a city like Khauran?’

‘There’ll be no siege, ‘ answered the Cimmerian. ‘I know how to draw Constantius out into the plain.’

‘And what then?’ cried Olgerd with an oath. ‘In the arrow-play our horsemen would have the worst of it, for the armor of the asshuri is the better, and when it came to sword-strokes their close-marshaled ranks of trained swordsmen would cleave through our loose lines and scatter our men like chaff before the wind.’

‘Not if there were three thousand desperate Hyborian horsemen fighting in a solid wedge such as I could teach them, ‘ answered Conan.

‘And where would you secure three thousand Hyborians?’ asked Olgerd with vast sarcasm. ‘Will you conjure them out of the air?’

‘I have them, ‘ answered the Cimmerian imperturbably. ‘Three thousand men of Khauran camp at the oasis of Akrel awaiting my orders.’

What?‘ Olgerd glared like a startled wolf.

‘Aye. Men who had fled from the tyranny of Constantius. Most of them have been living the lives of outlaws in the deserts east of Khauran, and are gaunt and hard and desperate as man-eating tigers. One of them will be a match for any three squat mercenaries. It takes oppression and hardship to stiffen men’s guts and put the fire of hell into their thews. They were broken up into small bands; all they needed was a leader. They believed the word I sent them by my riders, and assembled at the oasis and put themselves at my disposal.’

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close