Beyond the Vanishing Point - Cover

Beyond the Vanishing Point

Public Domain

Chapter 10: The Escape

To Babs and me the ride in the golden cage strapped to Polter’s chest as he made his escape outward into largeness was an experience awesome and frightening almost beyond conception. We heard the alarm in the palace on the island. Polter rushed to Dr. Kent’s laboratory door, looked in, and in a moment banged it shut. Babs and I saw very little. We knew only that something horrible had happened; we could see only a blur with formless things in the void beneath our bars; and there were the choking fumes of chemicals surging at us.

Polter rushed through the castle corridor. We heard rumbling distant shouts.

“The drug is loose! The drug is loose! Monsters! Death for everyone!”

The room swayed with horrible dizzying lurches as Polter ran. We clung to the lattice bars, our legs and arms entwined. There were moments when Polter leaped, or suddenly stooped, and our reeling senses all but faded.

“Babs! Babs, darling, don’t let go! Don’t lose consciousness!”

If she should be limp, here in this lurching room, her body to be flung back and forth across its confines--that would be death in a moment. I feared I could not hold her. I managed to get an arm about her waist.

“Babs!”

“I’m--all right, George. I can stand it. We’re--he is enlarging.”

“Yes.”

I saw water far beneath us, lashed into a turmoil of foam with Polter’s wading steps. There was a brief swaying vista of a toy city; starlight overhead; a lurching swaying miniature of landscape as Polter ran for the towering cliffs. Then he climbed and scrambled into the tunnel-mouth. Had he turned at that instant doubtless he would have seen the rising distant figures of Glora, Alan and Dr. Kent. But he did not see them, evidently. Nor did we.

Polter spoke only very occasionally to Babs. “Hold tightly!” It was a rumbling voice from above us. He made no move to touch the cage, except that a few times the great blur of his hand came up to adjust its angle.


The lurching and jolting was less violent in the tunnel. Polter’s frenzy to escape was subsiding into calmness. He traversed the tunnel with a methodical swinging stride. We were aware of him climbing over the noisome litter of the dead giant’s body which blocked the tunnel’s further end. We heard his astonished exclamations. But evidently he did not suspect what had happened, thinking only that the stupid messenger had miscalculated his growth and been crushed.

We emerged into a less dim area. Polter did not stop at the fallen giant. Nothing mattered now to him, quite evidently, save his own rapid exit with Babs from this atomic realm. His movements seemed calm, yet hurried.

We realized now how different was an outward journey from the trip coming in. This was all only an inch of golden quartz! The stages upward were frequently only a matter of growth in size; the distances in this vast desert realm of golden rock always were shrinking. Polter many times stood almost motionless until the closing dwindling walls made him scramble upward into the greater space above.

It may have been an hour, or less. Babs and I, from our smaller viewpoint, with the landscape so frequently blurred by distance and Polter’s movements, seldom recognized where we were. But I realized that going out was far easier in every way than coming in. Easier to determine the route, since usually the diminishing caverns and gullies made the upward step obvious ... We knew when Polter scrambled up the incline ramp.

It seemed impossible for us to plan anything. Would Polter make the entire trip without a stop? It seemed so. We had no drugs. Our cage was barred beyond possibility of our getting out. But even if we had had the drugs, or had our door been open, there was no escape. An abyss of distance was always yawning beyond our lattice--the sheer precipice of Polter’s body from his chest to the ground.

“Babs, we must make him stop. If he sits down to rest, you might get him to take you out. I must reach his drugs.”

“Yes. I’ll try it, George.”


Polter was momentarily standing motionless as though gazing around him, judging what to do next. His size seemed stationary. Beyond our bars we could see the distant circular walls as though this were some giant crater-pit in which Polter was standing. Then I thought I recognized it--the round, nearly vertical pit into which Alan had plunged his hand and arm. Above us then was a gully, blind at one end. And above that, the outer surface, the summit of the fragment of golden quartz.

“Babs! I know where we are! If he takes you out, keep his attention. I’ll try and get one of his black vials. Make him hold you near the ground. If I see you there, in position where you can jump, I’ll startle him. Oh, Babs, dear, it’s desperately dangerous but I can’t think of anything else. Jump! Get away from here. I’ll keep his attention on me. Then I’ll join you if I can--with the drug.”

Polter was moving. We had no time to say more.

“Yes! Yes, I’ll try it, George.” For just an instant she clung to me with her soft arms about my neck. Our love was sweeping us in this desperate moment, and it seemed that above us was a remote Earth world holding the promise of all our dreams. Or were we star-crossed, doomed like the realm of the atom? Was this swift embrace now marking the end of everything for us?

Babs called, “Dr. Polter?”

We could feel his movements stopping.

“Yes? You are all right, Babs?”

She laughed--a ripple of silvery laughter--but there was tragic fear in her eyes as she held her gaze on me. “Yes, Dr. Polter, but breathless. Almost dead, but not quite. What happened? I want to come out and talk to you.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close