The Affair of the Brains - Cover

The Affair of the Brains

Public Domain

Chapter 4: Soil

Hawk Carse awoke with a slight feeling of nausea, and the smell of the drug faint in his nostrils. He found he was lying on the floor of a large, square cell whose walls and ceiling were of some burnished brown metal and which was bare of any kind of furnishing. In one wall was a tightly closed door, also of metal and studded by the knob of a lock. Barred slits, high in opposite walls, gave ventilation; a single tube set in the ceiling provided illumination.

He was not bound. He sat up and regarded the outflung figure of Friday, lying to one side. “Something in his look seemed to reach the giant negro, for, as he watched, the man’s eyelids flickered, and a sigh escaped his full lips. He stared up at Carse, recognition, followed by gladness, flooding his eyes. The Hawk smiled also. There were close bonds between these two.

“Lord, I’m sure thankful to be with you, suh!” said the negro with relief. His eyes rolled as he took in the cabinlike cell. “Hmff--nice homey little place,” he remarked. “Where do you reckon we are, suh?”

“I think we’re at last at that place we have searched so long for--Ku Sui’s headquarters, his own spaceship.”

It will be remembered by those who have read their history that the Eurasian’s actual base of operations was for a long time the greatest of the mysteries that enveloped him. Half a dozen times had the Hawk and his comrade in arms, Eliot Leithgow, hunted for it with all their separate skill of adventurer and scientist, and, although they had twice found the man himself, always they had failed to find his actual retreat.

For those who are unacquainted with the histories of that raw period a hundred years ago, it will be impossible to understand the spell of fear which accompanied mention of Dr. Ku throughout the universe--a fear engendered chiefly by the man’s unpredictable comings and goings, thanks to his secret hiding place. Those who were as close to him as henchmen could be--which was not very close--only added to the general mystery of the whereabouts of the base by their sincerely offered but utterly contradictory notions and data. One thing all agreed on: the outlaw’s lair was a place most frightening.

Therefore it can be understood why, on hearing the Hawk’s opinion, Friday’s face fell somewhat.

“Guess that means we’re finished, suh,” he opined moodily.


Carse had walked to the lone door and found, as he of course expected, that it was tightly locked. He responded crisply:

“It’s not like you to talk that way, Eclipse. We’re far from that. We have succeeded in the first step--if, as I suspect, this cell is part of Dr. Ku’s real headquarters--and surely before he decides to eliminate us we will be able to learn something of the nature of his space-ship; perhaps how it can be attacked and conquered.”

Conversation always cheered the naturally social Friday; he seldom had the opportunity for it with his usually curt master. He objected:

“But what good’ll that do us, suh, if we take what we’ve learned to where it won’t help anybody, least of all us? An’ what chance we got against Ku Sui now, when we’re prisoners? Why, he’s a magician; it ain’t natural, what he does. Lands in our ship plop right out of empty space! Puts us out with a wave of his handkerchief!” With final misery in his voice he added: “We’re sunk, suh. This time we surely are.”

Carse smiled at his emotional friend. “All you need is a good fight, Eclipse. It’s thinking that disintegrates your morale; you should never try to think. Why--there was an anesthetic on that handkerchief! Simple enough; I might have expected it. As for his getting into our ship, he entered from behind, through the after port-lock, while we were looking for his ship on the visi-screen. I don’t understand yet why we could not see his craft. It’s too much to suppose he could make it invisible. Paint, perhaps, or camouflage. He might have a way of preventing, from a distance, the registering of his ship on our screen. Oh, he’s dangerous, clever, deep--but somewhere, there’ll be a loophole. Somewhere. There always is.” His tone changed, and he snapped: “Now be quiet. I want to think.”


His face stiffened into a cold, calm mask, but behind his gray eyes lay anything but calmness. Ku Sui’s easy assumption that the information as to Eliot Leithgow’s whereabouts would be forthcoming from his lips, puzzled him, brought real anxiety. Torture would probably not be able to force his tongue to betray his friend, but there were perhaps other means. Of these he had a vague and ominous apprehension. Dr. Ku was preeminently a specialist in the human brain; he had implied his will to have that information. Suppose he should use something it was impossible to fight against?

And he alone, Hawk Carse, brought the responsibility. He had asked Leithgow where he would be, and he remembered well the place agreed upon. He dared not lose the battle of wits he knew was coming!...

His eyes shot to the door. It was opening. In a moment Ku Sui stood revealed there, and behind him, in the corridor, were three other figures, their yellow coolie faces strangely dumb and lifeless above the tasteful gray smocks which extended a little below their belted waists. Each bore embroidered on his chest the planetary insignia of Ku Sui in yellow, and each was armed with two ray-guns.

“I must ask forgiveness, my friend, for these retainers who accompany me,” the Eurasian began suavely. “Please don’t let them disturb you, however; they are more robots than men, obeying only my words. A little adjustment of the brain, you understand. I have brought them only for your protection; for you would find it would result most unpleasantly to make a break for freedom.”

“Of course, you’re not the one who wants protection!” sneered Friday, with devastating sarcasm. “Or else you’d ‘a’ brought a whole army!”

But the negro paled a little when the Oriental’s green tiger eyes caught him full. It was with a physical shock--such was the power of the man--that he received the soft-spoken reply:

“Yours is a most subtle and entertaining wit, black one; I am overcome with the honor and pleasure of having you for my guest. But perhaps--may I suggest?--that you save your humor for a more suitable occasion. I would like to make the last few hours of your visit as pleasant as possible.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close