Wandl the Invader
Chapter 12

Public Domain

Later, we learned that Anita and Venza had tried much the same tactics on Meka that we had used on Wyk, but their task was more difficult. She was suspicious of them. Venza asked her where the control station was, but she wouldn’t answer.

“Your brother said it was just beyond the dark forest,” Anita said. “What is the dark forest?”

“A place with trees where no one lives.”

“Off that way.” Venza gestured. “That’s what Molo said. Will it be day soon, or will the night keep on?”

“If they cause Wandl to rotate, it will soon be day.” An ironic look crossed Meka’s face. “I am in no mood for answering more of your silly questions. Save the breath.”

“Well, if that’s they way you feel about it,” replied Venza laughing, “we will. There’s not much air in here.” She shoved herself across the floor toward the closed window.

“Get back!”

“Oh, all right--all right!”

Perhaps Meka herself felt there was not enough air. She stood waveringly upright, and pushed herself with a slow leap for the window. Her back for that moment was to Anita and Venza. They shoved from the floor, whirled through the air and were upon her.

It was a brief struggle, and instantly they knew that they had lost. The huge Martian whirled and flung them off. Her upflung fist, with a blow like a man’s, caught Anita’s thigh and knocked her toward the ceiling. She sank in a heap on the floor, saw that Venza had shoved back, but was standing upright.

Anita bent double, with her feet braced against a chair, tensed to shove forward again. At the still unopened window, Meka crouched. Anita heard Venza’s warning outcry. “Anita, look out for her! She’s got a knife!”

Upon this scene, in a moment, Snap and I came with a rush. The closed door was not barred. We slid it down and catapulted through the opening. Meka sailed over us. I swam up at her; seized her. The knife ripped my blouse and slit the flesh of my upper arm with a glancing blow. Then Snap came and struck against us; we sank to the floor.

Meka had fought silently, but now she was shouting. I twisted her wrist, seized the knife handle and flung the knife away. I was aware of Anita lunging to retrieve it. And over us Venza appeared, waving a metal chair as though it were a huge feather.

Snap gasped, “Gregg get your hand over her mouth. Shut her up!”

We had her subdued in a moment, but it seemed almost too late. Outside the opened door a distant shout sounded.

I shoved Meka toward the door. “If you don’t do what I say, I’ll kill you,” I whispered into her ear.

“What shall I do?”

There came another shout, closer, now. Someone was coming.

“Call out in Martian. Say there’s no trouble, nothing wrong. You were arguing with these girls.”

She did as I commanded. The voice down the corridor answered, and then subsided.

Snap slid the door closed. “Hurry! We’ll go by the window. I dropped those damn shoes.”

Anita and Venza tore their dark coats into strips. We bound and gagged Meka, laid her in a corner of the room. We had dropped the shoes as we came plunging through the door oval. We found that we could all fasten their things to our feet. I put Meka’s knife in my belt.

“Hurry, all of you!” Snap was saying. “Got to get out of here; jump by the window.”

“Say, look at these wing-shields!” From a recess in a corner of the room Venza appeared with an armful of the small shields. We thrust our hands and forearms into their loops. The shields extended from a few inches beyond our fingers to the elbow.

Snap had slid the window blind. I bent over the prone form of Meka. “Don’t try to move. Molo will release you when he comes back.”

We gathered on the starlit balcony. The city stretched around us. There was as yet no alarm. No swimming figures near here; but a distance away we saw the towering conclave globe, with its audience just beginning to emerge, like bees coming from a hive.

“Let me go first.” I held Anita and Venza at the rail. “It’s like swimming. I suppose we’ll get the way of it pretty quickly.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close