The Door Into Infinity - Cover

The Door Into Infinity

Public Domain

Chapter 5: The Door Opens

“Where leads the Door?” rolled the chief priest’s voice.

Back up to him came the reply of hundreds of voices, muffled by the hoods but loud, echoing to the roof of the cavern in a thunderous response.

It leads outside our world!

The chief priest waited until the echoes died before his deep voice rolled on in the ritual.

“Who taught our forefathers to open the Door?”

Ennis, edging desperately closer and closer to the line of victims, felt the mighty response reverberate about him.

They Beyond the Door taught them!

Now Ennis was apart from the other priests on the dais, within a few yards of the captives, of the small figure of Ruth.

“To whom do we bring these sacrifices?”

As the high priest uttered the words, and before the booming answer came, a hand grasped Ennis and pulled him back from the line of victims. He spun round to find that it was one of the other priests who had jerked him back.

We bring them to Those Beyond the Door!

As the colossal response thundered, the priest who had jerked Ennis back whispered urgently to him. “You go too close to the victims, Chandra Dass! Do you wish to be taken with them?”

The fellow had a tight grip on Ennis’ arm. Desperate, tensed, Ennis heard the chief priest roll forth the last of the ritual.

“Shall the Door be opened that They may take the sacrifices?”

Stunning, mighty, a tremendous shout that mingled in it worshipping awe and superhuman dread, the answer crashed back.

“Let the Door be opened!”

The chief priest turned and his up-flung arms whirled in a signal. Ennis, tensing to spring toward Ruth, saw the two priests at the gray mechanism swiftly turn the knurled black knobs. Then Ennis, like all else in the vast cavern, was held frozen and spellbound by what followed.

The spherical web of wires pulsed up madly with shining force. And up at the center of the gleaming black oval facet on the wall, there appeared a spark of unearthly green light. It blossomed outward, expanded, an awful viridescent flower blooming quickly outward farther and farther. And as it expanded, Ennis saw that he could look through that green light! He looked through into another universe, a universe lying infinitely far across alien dimensions from our own, yet one that could be reached through this door between dimensions. It was a green universe, flooded with an awful green light that was somehow more akin to darkness than to light, a throbbing, baleful luminescence.

Ennis saw dimly through green-lit spaces a city in the near distance, an unholy city of emerald hue whose unsymmetrical, twisted towers and minarets aspired into heavens of hellish viridity. The towers of that city swayed to and fro and writhed in the air. And Ennis saw that here and there in the soft green substance of that restless city were circles of lurid light that were like yellow eyes.

In ghastly, soul-shaking apprehension of the utterly alien, Ennis knew that the yellow circles were eyes--that that hell-spawned city of another universe was living--that its unfamiliar life was single yet multiple, that its lurid eyes looked now through the Door!

Out from the insane living metropolis glided pseudopods of its green substance, glided toward the Door. Ennis saw that in the end of each pseudopod was one of the lurid eyes. He saw those eyed pseudopods come questing through the Door, onto the dais.

The yellow eyes of light seemed fixed on the row of stiff victims, and the pseudopods glided toward them. Through the open door was beating wave on wave of unfamiliar, tingling forces that Ennis felt even through the protective robe.

The hooded multitude bent in awe as the green pseudopods glided toward the victims faster, with avid eagerness. Ennis saw them reaching for the prisoners, for Ruth, and he made a tremendous mental effort to break the spell that froze him. In that moment pistol-shots crashed across the cavern and a stream of bullets smashed the pulsing web of wires!

The Door began instantly to close. Darkness crept back around the edges of the mighty oval. As though alarmed, the lurid-eyed pseudopods of that hell-city recoiled from the victims, back through the dwindling Door. And as the Door dwindled, the light in the cavern was failing.

“Ruth!” yelled Ennis madly, and sprang forward and grasped her, his pistol leaping into his other hand.

“Ennis--quick!” shouted Campbell’s voice across the cavern.

The Door dwindled away altogether; the great oval facet was completely black. The light was fast dying too.

The chief priest sprang madly toward Ennis, and as he did so, the hooded hordes of the Brotherhood recovered from their paralysis of horror and surged madly toward the dais.

“The Door is closed! Death to the blasphemers!” cried the chief priest as he plunged forward.

“Death to the blasphemers!” shrieked the crazed horde below.

Ennis’ pistol roared and the chief priest went down. The light in the cavern died completely at that moment.

In the dark a torrent of bodies catapulted against Ennis, screaming vengeance. He struck out with his pistol-barrel in the mad mêlée, holding Ruth’s stiff form close with his other hand. He heard the other drugged, helpless victims crushed down and trampled under foot by the surging horde of vengeance-mad members.


Clinging to the girl, Ennis fought like a madman through a darkness in which none could distinguish friend or foe, toward the door at the side from which Campbell had fired. He smashed down the pistol-barrel on all before him, as hands sought to grab him in the dark. He knew sickeningly that he was lost in the combat, with no sense of the direction of the door.

Then a voice roared loud across the wild din, “Ennis, this way! This way, Ennis!” yelled Inspector Campbell, again and again.

Ennis plunged through the whirl of unseen bodies in the direction of the detective’s shouting voice. He smashed through, half dragging and half carrying the girl, until Campbell’s voice was close ahead in the dark. He fumbled at the rock wall, found the door opening, and then Campbell’s hands grasped him to pull him inside.

Hands grabbed him from behind, striving to tear Ruth from him, to jerk him back. Voices shrieked for help.

Campbell’s pistol blazed in the dark and the hands released their grip. Ennis stumbled with the girl through the door into a dark tunnel. He heard Campbell slam a door shut, and heard a bar fall with a clang.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close