Police Your Planet - Cover

Police Your Planet

Public Domain

Chapter 11: The Sky's The Limit

All that day, the three rocket ships sat out on the field. Nobody went up to them, and nobody came from them; surprisingly, Wayne had found the courage to ignore them. But rumors were circulating wildly. Bruce Gordon felt his nerves creeping out of his skin and beginning to stand on end to test each breeze for danger.

With the credit they’d accumulated in the fund, nearly all their collection was theirs. Gordon went out to do some shopping. He stopped when his money was down to a hundred credits, hardly realizing what he was doing. When he went out, the street was going crazy.

Izzy had been waiting, and filled him in. At exactly sundown, the rocket ships had thrown down ramps, and a stream of jeeps had ridden down them and toward the south entrance to the dome. They had presented some sort of paper and forced the guard to let them through. There were about two hundred men, some of them armed. They had driven straight to the huge, barnlike Employment Bureau, had chased out the few people remaining there, and had simply taken over. Now there was a sign in front which simply said MARSPORT LEGAL POLICE FORCE HEADQUARTERS. Then the jeeps had driven back to the rockets, gone on board, and the ships had taken off.

Gordon glanced at his watch, finding it hard to believe it could have been done so quickly. But it was two hours after sundown.

Now a car with a loudspeaker on top rolled into view--a completely armored car. It stopped, and the speaker began operating.

“Citizens of Marsport! In order to protect your interests from the proven rapacity of the administration here, Earth has revoked the independent charter of Marsport. The past elections are hereby declared null and void. Your home world has appointed Marcus Gannett as mayor, with Philip Crane as chief of police. Other members of the council will be by appointment until legal elections can be held safely. The Municipal Police Force is disbanded, and the Legal Police Force is now being organized.

“All police and officers who remain loyal to the legal government will be accepted at their present grade or higher. To those who now leave the illegal Municipal Force and accept their duty with the Legal Force, there will be no question of past conduct. Nor will they suffer financially from the change!

“Banks will be reopened as rapidly as the Legal Government can extend its control, and all deposits previously made will be honored in full.”

That brought a cheer from the crowd, as the sound truck moved on. Gordon saw two of the police officers nearby fingering their badges thoughtfully.

Then another truck rolled into view, and the Mayor’s canned voice came over it, panting as if he’d had to rush to make the recording. He began directly:

“Martians! Earth has declared war on us. She has denied us our right to rule ourselves--a right guaranteed in our charter. We admit there have been abuses; all young civilizations make mistakes. But we’ve developed and grown.

“This is an old pattern, fellow Martians! England tried it on her colonies three hundred years ago. And the people rose up and demanded their right to rule themselves. They had troubles with their governments, too--and they had panics. But they won their freedom, and it made them great--so great that now that one nation--not all Earth, but that single nation!--is trying to do to us what she wouldn’t permit to herself.

“Well, we don’t have an army. But neither do they. They know the people of this world wouldn’t stand for the landing of foreign--that’s right, foreign--troops. So they’re trying to steal our police force from us and use it for their war.

“Fellow Martians, they aren’t going to bribe us into that! Mars has had enough. I declare us to be in a state of revolution. And since they have chosen the weapons, I declare our loyal and functioning Municipal Police Force to be our army. Any man who deserts will be considered a traitor. But any man who sticks will be rewarded more than he ever expected. We’re going to protect our freedom.

“Let them open their banks--our banks--again. And when they have established your accounts, go in and collect the money! If they give it to you, Mars is that much richer. If they don’t, you’ll know they’re lying.

“Let them bribe us if they like. We’re going to win this war.”

Gordon felt the crowd’s reaction twist again, and he had to admit that Wayne had played his cards well.

But it didn’t make the question of where he belonged, or what he should do, any easier. He waited until the crowd had thinned out a little and began heading toward Corey’s, with Izzy moving along silently beside him, carrying half the packages.

He remembered the promise of forgiveness for all sins on joining the new Legal Force; but he’d read enough history to know that it was fine--as long as the struggle continued. Afterwards, promises grew dim...

He had no use for the present administration, but Earth had no right to take over without a formal investigation, and a chance for the people to state their choice.

Then he grimaced at himself. He was in no position to move according to right and wrong. The only question that counted was how he had the best chance to ride out the storm, and to get back to Earth and a normal life.

He was still in a brown study as he took the bundles from Izzy and dropped them on his bed. Izzy went out, and Gordon stood staring at the wall. Trench? Or the new Commissioner Crane? If Earth should win--and they had most of the power, after all--and Bruce Gordon had fought against Security, the mines of Mercury were waiting.

He picked up the stuff from his bed and started to sweep it aside before he lay down. Then he remembered at last; he knocked on the panel, until it finally opened a crack.

“Here,” he told her. “Food, and some other stuff. There are some refuse bags, too. Yell when you want them removed.”

She took the bundles woodenly until she came to a plastic can. Then she gasped. “Water! Two gallons!”

“There are heat tablets, and a skin tub.” The salesgirl had explained how one gallon was enough in the plastic bag that served as a tub; he had his doubts. “Detergent. The whole works.”

She hauled the stuff in and started to close the panel. Then she hesitated. “I suppose I should thank you, but I don’t like to be told I stink so much you can’t stand me in the next room!”

“Hell, I’ve gotten so I can stand your grandfather,” he answered. “It wasn’t that.” The panel slammed shut.


He still hadn’t solved his problem in the morning; out of habit, he put on his uniform and went across to Izzy’s room. But Izzy was already gone.

Gordon fished into the pocket of his uniform for paper and a pencil to leave a note in case Izzy came back. His fingers found the half notebook cover instead. He drew it out, scowling at it, and started to crumple it. Then he stopped, staring at the piece of imitation leather and paper that wouldn’t bend.

His fingers were still stiff as he began tearing off the thin covering with his knife; the paper backing peeled away easily.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close