Police Your Planet
Chapter 13: Arrest Mayor Wayne!

Public Domain

The Legal forces were shorthanded and eager for recruits. They had struck quickly, according to plans made by experts on Earth, and now controlled about half of Marsport. But it was a sprawling crescent around the central section, harder to handle than the Municipal territory. Bruce Gordon was sworn in at once.

Then he cooled his heels while the florid, paunchy ex-politician Commissioner Crane worried about his rating and repeated how corrupt Mars was and how the collection system was over--absolutely over. In the end, he was given a captain’s pay and the rank of sergeant. As a favor, he was allowed to share a beat with Honest Izzy under Captain Hendrix, who had simply switched sides after losing the morning’s battle.

Gordon’s credits were changed to Legal scrip, and he was issued a trim-fitting green uniform. Then a surprisingly competent doctor examined his wound, rebandaged it, and sent him home for the day. The change was finished--and he felt like a grown man playing with dolls.

He walked back, watching the dull-looking people closing off their homes, as they had done at elections. Here and there, houses had been broken into during the night. There were occasional buzzes of angry conversation that cut off as he approached.

Marsport had learned to hate all cops, and a change of uniform hadn’t altered that; instead, the people seemed to resent the loss of the familiar symbol of hatred.

He found Izzy and Randolph at the restaurant across from Mother Corey’s. Izzy grinned suddenly at the sight of the uniform. “I knew it, gov’nor--knew it the minute I heard Jurgens was a cop. Did you make ‘em give you my beat?”

He seemed genuinely pleased as Gordon nodded, and then dropped it, to point to Randolph. “Guess what, gov’nor. The Legals bought Randy’s Crusader. Traded him an old job press and a bag of scratch for his reputation.”

“You’ll be late, Izzy,” Randolph said quietly. Gordon suddenly realized that Randolph, like everyone else, seemed to be Izzy’s friend. He watched the little man leave, and reached out for the menu. Randolph picked it out of his hand. “You’ve got a wife home, muckraker. You don’t have to eat this filth.”

Gordon got up, grimacing at the obvious dismissal. But the publisher motioned him back again.

“Yeah, the Legals want the Crusader for their propaganda,” he said wearily. “New slogans and new uniforms, and none of them mean anything. Here!” He drew a small golden band from his little finger. “My mother’s wedding ring. Give it to her--and if you tell her it came from me, I’ll rip out your guts!”

He got up suddenly and hobbled out, his pinched face working. Gordon turned the ring over, puzzled. Finally he got up and headed for his room, a little surprised to find the door unlocked. Sheila opened her eyes at his uniform, but made no comment. “Food ready in ten minutes,” she told him.

She’d already been shopping, and had installed the tiny cooking equipment used in half Marsport. There was also a small iron lying beside a pile of his laundered clothes. He dropped onto the bed wearily, then jerked upright as she came over to remove his boots. But there was no mockery on her face--and oddly, it felt good to him. Maybe her idea of married life was different from his.

She was sanding the dishes and putting them away when he finally remembered the ring. He studied it again, then got up and dropped it beside her. He was surprised as she fumbled it on to see that it fitted--and more surprised at the sudden realization that she was entitled to it.

She studied it under the glare of the single bulb, and then turned to her room. She was back a few seconds later with a small purse. “I got a duplicate key. Yours is in there,” she said thickly. “And--something else. I guess I was going to give it to you anyway. I was afraid someone else might find it--”

He cut her off brusquely, his eyes riveted on the Security badge he’d been sure Trench had taken. “Yeah, I know. Your meal ticket was in danger. Okay, you’ve done your nightly duty. Now get the hell out of my room, will you?”


The week went on mechanically, while he gradually adjusted to the new angles of being a Legal. The banks were open, and deposits honored, as promised. But it was in the printing-press scrip of Legal currency, useful only through Mayor Gannett’s trick Exchanges. Water went up from fourteen credits to eighty credits for a gallon of pure distilled. Other things were worse. Resentment flared, but the scrip was the only money available, and it still bound the people to the new regime.

Supplies were scarce, salt and sugar almost unavailable. Earth had cut off all shipping until the affair was settled, and nobody in the outlands would deal in scrip.

He came home the third evening to find that Sheila had managed to find space for her bunk in his room, cut off by a heavy screen, and had closed the other room to save the rent. It led to some relaxation between them, and they began talking impersonally.

Gordon watched for a sign that Trench had passed on his evidence of the murder of Murdoch, but there was none. The pressure of the beat took his mind from it. Looting had stepped up.

Izzy had co-operated--reluctantly, until Gordon was able to convince him that it was the people who paid his salary. Then he nodded. “It’s a helluva roundabout way of doing things, gov’nor, but if the gees pay for protection any old way, then they’re gonna get it!”

They got it. Hoodlums began moving elsewhere, toward easier pickings.

Gordon turned his entire pay over to Sheila; at current prices, it would barely keep them in food for a week. “I told you you had a punched meal ticket,” he said bitterly.

“We’ll live,” she answered him. “I got a job today--barmaid, on your beat, where being your wife helps.”

He could think of nothing to say to it; but after supper, he went to Izzy’s room to arrange for a raid on Municipal territory. Such small raids were nominally on the excuse of extending the boundaries, but actually they were out-and-out looting.

He came back to find her cleaning up, and shoved her away. “Go to bed. You look beat. I’ll sand these.”

She started to protest, then let him take over.

They never made the looting raid. The next morning, they arrived at the Precinct house to find men milling around the bulletin board, buzzing over an announcement there. Apparently, Chief Justice Arliss had broken with the Wayne administration, and the mimeographed form was a legal ruling that Wayne was no longer Mayor, since the charter had been voided. He was charged with inciting a riot, and a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Hendrix appeared finally. “All right, men,” he shouted. “You all see it. We’re going to arrest Wayne. By jingo, they can’t say we ain’t legal now! Every odd-numbered shield goes from every precinct. Gordon, Isaacs--you two been talking big about law and order. Here’s the warrant. Take it and arrest Wayne!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close