Darkness and Dawn Book III: the Afterglow - Cover

Darkness and Dawn Book III: the Afterglow

Public Domain

Chapter 10: Separation

They spent the remainder of that day and all the next in hard work, making practical preparations for the arrival of the first settlers. Allan assured himself the waters of New Hope River were soft and pure and that an ample supply of fish dwelt in the pool as well as in the rapids--trout, salmon and pike of new varieties and great size, as well as other species.

Beatrice and he, working together, put the largest and darkest of the caves into habitable order. They also prepared, for their own use, a sunny grotto, which they thought could with reasonable labor be made into a comfortable temporary home.

“Though it isn’t our own cozy bungalow, and never can be,” she remarked rather mournfully, surveying the fireplace of roughly piled stones Allan had built. “Oh, dear, if we only could have had that to live in while--”

He stopped her yearning with a kiss.

“There, there, little girl,” he cheered her, “don’t be impatient. All in good time we’ll have another, garden and sun-dial and everything. All in good time. The more we have to overcome, the more we’ll appreciate results, eh? The only really serious matter to consider now is you!

“Me, Allan? Why, what do you mean? What about me?”

He sat down on the rough-hewn bench of logs that he had fashioned and drew her to him.

“Listen, Beta. This is very serious.”

“What, Allan? Has anything happened?”

“No, and nothing must, either. That’s what’s troubling me now. Our separation, I mean.”

“Our--why, what--”

“Don’t you see? Can’t you understand? We’ve got to be apart a while. I must go alone--”

“Oh, no, no, Allan! You mustn’t; I can’t let you!”

“You’ve got to let me, darling! The machine will only carry, at most, three persons and a little freight. Now if you take the trip back into the Abyss I can only bring one, just one of the Folk back with me. And at that rate you can see for yourself how long it will take to make even a beginning at colonization. I figure three or four days for the round trip, at the inside. If you go we’ll be all summer and more getting even twenty-five or thirty colonists here. Whereas, if you can manage to let me do this work alone, we’ll have fifty in the caves by October. So you see--”

“You don’t want to go and leave me, Allan?”

“God forbid! Shall I abandon the whole attempt and settle down with you here, all alone, and--”

“No, no, no! Not that, Allan!”

“I knew you’d say so. After all, the future of the race means more than our own welfare or comfort or anything. Even our safety has got to be risked for it. So you see--”

She thought a moment, clinging to him, somewhat pale and shaken, but with an indefinable courage in her eyes. Then asked she:

“Wouldn’t it be possible in some way--for you can do anything, Allan--wouldn’t it be possible for you to build another machine? Surely in the ruins of some city not too far away, in Nashville, Cincinnati, or Detroit, you could find materials! Couldn’t you make another aeroplane and teach me how to fly, so I could help you? I’d learn, Allan! I’d dare, and be brave--awfully brave, for your sake, and theirs, and--”

He gravely shook his head in negation.

“I know you would, dearest, but you mustn’t. Half my real reason for not wanting you to go with me is just this danger of flying. You’ll be safer here. With plenty of supplies and your pistol you’ll be all right. I know it seems heartless to talk of leaving you, even for three days, but, after all, it’s far the wisest way. We’ll build a barricade and make a regular fort for you and stock it with supplies. Then you can wait for me and the first two settlers. And after that you’ll have company. Why, you’ll have subjects--for, until they’re educated, we’ve simply got to rule these people. It’ll be only the first trip that will make you lonely, and it won’t be long.”

“I know; but suppose anything should happen to you!”

He laughed confidently.

“Nonsense!” he exclaimed. “You know nothing ever does happen to me! Everything will be all right, my best--beloved. Only a little patience and a little courage, that’s all we need now. You’ll see!”

Till late that night, sheltered in their cave, they talked of this momentous step. Redly their firelight glowed upon their walls and roof, where sparkled myriads of tiny rock-facets. Far below the rapids of New Hope River murmured a contra-bass to their voices.

And in the canyon the sighing of the night-wind, pierced now and then by some strange cry of beast-life from the forest beyond, heightened their pleasant sense of security. Only the knowledge of approaching separation weighed heavy on their souls.

From every possible standpoint they discussed the situation. Allan’s plan, viewed with the eye of reason, was really the only sane one. Nothing could have been more absurdly wasteful of time and energy than the idea of carrying the girl down into the Abyss each time and bringing her up with every return.

Not only would it expose her needlessly to very grave perils, but it would bisect the efficiency of the Pauillac. Allan realized, moreover, that in the rebuilding of the world a time must inevitably come when he could not always stand by her side. She must learn self-reliance, harsh as that teaching might seem.

All this and much more he pointed out to her. And before midnight she, too, agreed. It was definitely decided that he was to undertake the transportation work alone.

Thus the matter was settled. But on that night there was little sleep for either of them. For, on the day after the morrow was to commence their first separation since the time they had awakened in the tower, more than a year ago.

Separation!

The thought weighed leaden on Allan’s heart. As for Beatrice, though in the dark she hid her tears, she felt that grief could plumb no blacker depths save utter loss. Only the thought of the new world and all that it must mean steeled her to resignation.

Morning dawned, aflare with light and color, as only a June morning in that semitropic wilderness could glow. Allan and Beatrice, early at work, resolutely attacked their labor of preparation.

First of all they laid in adequate supplies of fruit and game, both of which, in that virgin wild, were to be had in a profusion undreamed of in the old days of civilization. With an improvised lance Ahan also speared three salmon in the rapids. The game and fish he dressed for her and packed among green leaves in the cool recesses at the extreme inner end of the cavern.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close