Ralestone Luck - Cover

Ralestone Luck

Public Domain

Chapter 10: Into the Swamp

In spite of the fact that they received but lukewarm encouragement from Charity, both Holmes and Creighton lingered on in New Orleans. Mr. Creighton made several attempts to get in touch with Jeems, whom he seemed to suspect of concealing vast literary treasures. And he spent one hot morning going through the trunk of papers which the Ralestones had found in the storage-room. Ricky commented upon the fact that being a publisher’s scout was almost like being an antique buyer.

Holmes was a perfect foil for his laboring friend. He lounged away his days draped across the settee on Charity’s gallery or sitting down on the bayou levee--after she had chased him away--pitching pebbles into the water. He told all of them that it was his vacation, the first one he had had in five years, and that he was going to make the most of it. Companioned by Creighton, he usually enlarged the family circle in the evenings. And the tales he could tell about the far corners of the earth were as wildly romantic as Rupert’s--though he did assure his listeners that even Tibet was very tame and well behaved nowadays.

Charity had finished the first illustration and had started another. This time Ricky and Val appeared polished and combed as if they had just stepped out of a ball-room of a governor’s palace--which they had, according to the story. It was during her second morning’s work upon this that she threw down her brush with a snort of disgust.

“It’s no use,” she told her models, “I simply can’t work on this now. All I can see is that scene where the hero’s mulatto half-brother watches the ball from the underbrush. I’ve got to do that one first.”

“Why don’t you then?” Ricky stretched to relieve cramped muscles.

“I would if I could get Jeems. He’s my model for the brother. He’s enough like you, Val, for the resemblance, and his darker tan is just right for color. But he won’t come back while Creighton’s here. I could wring that man’s neck!”

“But Creighton left for Milneburg this morning,” Val reminded her. “Rupert told him about the old voodoo rites which used to be celebrated there on June 24th, St. John’s Eve, and he wanted to see if there were any records--”

“Yes. But Jeems doesn’t know he’s gone. If we could only get in touch with him--Jeems, I mean.”

“Miss ‘Chanda!”

Sam Two, as they had come to call Sam’s eldest son and heir, was standing on the lowest step of the terrace, holding a small covered basket in his hands.

“Yes?”

“Letty-Lou done say dis am fo’ yo’all, Miss ‘Chanda.”

“For me?” Ricky looked at the offering in surprise. “But what in the world--Bring it here, Sam.”

“Yas’m.”

He laid the basket in Ricky’s outstretched hands.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before.” She turned it around. “It seems to be woven of some awfully fine grass--”

“That’s swamp work.” Charity was peering over Ricky’s shoulder. “Open it.”

Inside on a nest of raw wild cotton lay a bracelet of polished wood carved with an odd design of curling lines which reminded Val of Spanish moss. And with the circlet was a small purse of scaled hide.

“Swamp oak and baby alligator,” burst out Charity. “Aren’t they beauties?”

“But who--” began Ricky.

Val picked up a scrap of paper which had fluttered to the floor. It was cheap stuff, ruled with faint blue lines, but the writing was bold and clear: “Miss Richanda Ralestone.”

“It’s yours all right.” He handed her the paper.

“I know.” She tucked the note away with the gifts. “It was Jeems.”

“Jeems? But why?” her brother protested.

“Well, yesterday when I was down by the levee he was coming in and I knew that Mr. Creighton was here and I told him. So,” she colored faintly, “then he took me across the bayou and I got some of those big swamp lilies that I’ve always wanted. And we had a long talk. Val, Jeems knows the most wonderful things about the swamps. Do you know that they still have voodoo meetings sometimes--way back in there,” she swept her hand southward. “And the fur trappers live on house-boats, renting their hunting rights. But Jeems owns his own land. Now some northerners are prospecting for oil. They have a queer sort of car which can travel either on land or water. And Père Armand has church records that date back to the middle of the eighteenth century. And--”

“So that’s where you were from four until almost six,” Val laughed. “I don’t know that I approve of this riotous living. Will Jeems take me to pick the lilies too?”

“Maybe. He wanted to know why you always moved so carefully. And I told him about the accident. Then he said the oddest thing--” She was staring past Val at the oaks. “He said that to fly was worth being smashed up for and that he envied you.”

“Then he’s a fool!” her brother said promptly. “Nothing is worth--” Val stopped abruptly. Five months before he had made a bargain with himself; he was not going to break it now.

“Do you know,” Ricky said to Charity, “if you really need Jeems this morning, I think I can get him for you. He told me yesterday how to find his cabin.”

“But why--” The objection came almost at once from Charity. Val thought she was more than a little surprised that Jeems, who had steadfastly refused to give her the same information, had supplied it so readily to Ricky whom he hardly knew at all.

“I don’t know,” answered Ricky frankly. “He was rather queer about it. Kept saying that the time might come when I would need help, and things like that.”

“Charity,” Val was putting her brushes straight, “I learned long ago that nothing can be kept from Ricky. Sooner or later one spills out his secrets.”

“Except Rupert!” Ricky aired her old grievance.

“Perhaps Rupert,” her brother agreed.

“Anyway, I do know where Jeems lives. Do you want me to get him for you, Charity?”

“Certainly not, child! Do you think that I’d let you go into the swamp? Why, even men who know something of woodcraft think twice before attempting such a trip without a guide. Of course you’re not going! I think,” she put her paint-stained hand to her head, “that I’m going to have one of my sick headaches. I’ll have to go home and lie down for an hour or two.”

“I’m sorry.” Ricky’s sympathy was quick and warm. “Is there anything I can do?”

Charity shook her head with a rueful smile. “Time is the only medicine for one of these. I’ll see you later.”

“Just the same,” Ricky stood looking after her, “I’d like to know just what is going on in the swamp right now.”

“Why?” Val asked lightly.

“Because--well, just because,” was her provoking answer. “Jeems was so odd yesterday. He talked as if--as if there were some threat to us or him. I wonder if there is something wrong.” She frowned.

“Of course not!” her brother made prompt answer. “He’s merely gone off on one of those mysterious trips of his.”

“Just the same, what if there were something wrong? We might go and see.”

“Nonsense!” Val snapped. “You heard what Charity said about going into the swamp alone. And there is nothing to worry about anyway. Come on, let’s change. And then I have something to show you.”

“What?” she demanded.

“Wait and see.” His ruse had succeeded. She was no longer looking swampward with that gleam of purpose in her eye.

“Come on then,” she said, prodding him into action.

Val changed slowly. If one didn’t care about mucking around in the garden, as Ricky seemed to delight in doing, there was so little in the way of occupation. He thought of the days as they spread before him. A little riding, a great amount of casual reading and--what else? Was the South “getting” him as the tropics are supposed to “get” the Northerners?

That unlucky meeting with a mountaintop had effectively despoiled him of his one ambition. Soldiers with game legs are not wanted. He couldn’t paint like Charity, he couldn’t spin yarns like Rupert, he possessed a mind too inaccurate to cope with the intricacies of any science. And as a business man he would probably be a good street cleaner.

What was left? Well, the surprise he had promised Ricky might cover the problem. As he reached for a certain black note-book, someone knocked on his door.

“Mistuh Val, wheah’s Miss ‘Chanda? She ain’t up heah an’ Ah wan’s to--”

Lucy stood in the hall. The light from the round window was reflected from every corrugated wave of her painfully marcelled hair. Her vast flowered dress had been thriftily covered with a dull-green bib-apron and she had changed her smart slippers for the shapeless gray relics she wore indoors. Just now she looked warm and tired. After all, running two households was something of a task even for Lucy.

“Why, she should be in her room. We came up to change. Miss Charity’s gone home with a headache. What was it you wanted her for?”

“Dese heah cu’ta’ns, Mistuh Val”--she thrust a mound of snowy and beruffled white stuff at him--”dey has got to be hung. An’ does Miss ‘Chanda wan’ dem in her room or does she not?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close