The Troublemakers - Cover

The Troublemakers

Public Domain

Chapter 9

Junior Spaceman Howard Reed said plaintively, “But this is the Bureau of Justice. According to the Regulations you are supposed to listen to me, at least.”

The space officer behind the desk wore the three wide stripes of the commander’s rank, topped by the fasces that symbolized the law. He was Commander Hughes, chief of the Space Service Bureau of Justice. He smiled at the junior spaceman but shook his head. “You would place us in a most difficult position were we to heed your plea without having the matter referred to us through official channels.”

With some exasperation, Reed said, “Look, sir, I’ve been subject to a severe injustice. Why can’t I at least tell my problem to someone?”

“That would be cutting across channels. It simply is not done.”

“Commander Hughes,” said the junior spaceman earnestly, “you’re not serving justice. You’re obstructing it!”

“Now see here, young man—”

“Commander Hughes, you’re insisting that I request my superior officer to forward through official channels a complaint against him. First, sir, I point out that he would refuse my request unless he were absolutely certain that my case against him was ridiculously weak. Second, I’m certain that the request would bring quick retaliation.”

Commander Hughes shook his head. “The Regulation provides that any reasonable request be forwarded. And the Regulation further provides that there shall be no punitive action.”

Reed snorted. “Fine. And if I do find myself punished, must I next forward my request for investigation through the same officer?”

“That is a serious charge, young man.”

“I can substantiate it! Look, sir, quite a long time ago I made some scientific studies, and—”

“You’re an Operations officer, Mr. Reed?”

“Yes, but—”

“Then you’re not trained in science?”

“Let’s not go on that rat-race right now,” said the junior spaceman testily. “I’ve heard it before. That’s why I’m here!”

“Very well.”

Junior Spaceman Howard Reed took a deep breath and plunged into his long explanation. At the end, Commander Hughes nodded, his face in a non-committal mask.

“One moment now,” he said. He turned to the working desk behind him and spoke into a telephone. It had neither visual plate nor amplified output; only the user could know what was being communicated, and with whom.

“Now we’ll see,” said the commander as he hung up the telephone.


With the awkwardness of a stopped trivideo drama they stood and sat there motionless and silently as the minutes dragged past. Ultimately there was a gentle alarm ring from one of the desk drawers. Commander Hughes opened it to extract a couple of yards of stereofac paper.

“Your service record,” explained the commander, picking up a reading prism and starting at the top. “Just another moment.”

Another half dozen minutes went past.

“‘Junior Spaceman Howard Reed, ‘“ the commander read quietly at last, “‘has an exemplary record.’ That is Commander Breckenridge’s opinion, if we are to believe what we read in this record. Oh, perhaps, he thought, a bit headstrong and mildly argumentative, factors which he considered balanced by a faculty for deep concentration.”

“And how about my being transferred to Eden, Tau Ceti? And then to Flatbush, Lalande 25372?” Reed demanded.

“‘Reasons for transfer, ‘“ read Commander Hughes from the record. “‘Junior Spaceman Howard Reed is ambitious and overactive. In the considered opinion of Commander Breckenridge, he will make a fine superior officer once his duty-experience has the proper breadth.’” The commander looked up and waved a hand at the length of stereofac. The fasces wrought in gold above the stripes glittered in the light. “Were it not for the Regulations against permitting a junior officer to inspect his own service record,” said Commander Hughes with a smile, “I’d let you see for yourself that nowhere on this record is there a single word that corroborates your suggestion. Your tour of duty on Flatbush, Lalande 25372, and your earlier transfer to Eden, Tau Ceti, were merely the standard tour of duty, granted to satisfactory junior officers as a means of properly broadening their experience.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close