Space Station 1 - Cover

Space Station 1

Public Domain

Chapter 13

Corriston was still sitting on the cot when the door opened and the commander and two executive officers came into the cabin.

He was not too surprised, for it had been somehow almost impossible for him to believe that the commander could have been killed. A scoundrel’s luck and a drunkard’s luck were often very much the same thing.

If the commander had succeeded in quickly putting out the fire he rated a medal, he was a man for all of that.

And apparently the commander had succeeded in putting out the fire, or he would not now be facing Corriston with a grimly urgent look on his mask.

Helen Ramsey was staring at him almost as if she were seeing him as he really was for the first time. Did she know that he was wearing a mask? There was no possible way she could know, he told himself, except by intuition. The masks were good. Having worn one herself she ought to know how good they were. She ought not even to suspect the commander unless--

Corriston had no time to finish the thought.

“Get up, both of you,” the commander said, gesturing with his braided right arm. “The Mars ship has just berthed. We’ve got to go aboard before there’s any question as to the obedience of the crew. The captain has been taken off, but we’re keeping some of the crew.”

“You--you put out the fire, Commander?”

“Naturally. I’m not quite the incompetent you think me, Lieutenant.”

“I’m quite sure of that, Commander,” Corriston said. “Do we take anything with us?”

“You’ll get all the extras you need on Mars,” the commander said. “Stephen Ramsey isn’t likely to want to see his daughter go about in rags.”

Corriston decided that the wisest thing he could do was to take the commander at his word in every important respect; for the moment, at any rate. There was the little matter of a killer still at large somewhere on the Station, and the quicker they were in space the safer Ramsey’s daughter would be. Not just in space as the Station was in space, but much further out in the Big Dark.

“All right, Commander,” he said. “Let’s get started.”

Getting started took very little time. A great thankfulness came upon Corriston when he saw the smooth dark hull of the Mars ship looming high above him, a thousand foot long cylinder of inky blackness against a glimmering wilderness of stars.

The ship was berthed securely beneath a towering network of telemetric aerials, on a completely circular launching platform that was like a saucer in reverse, with a contractable metal ramp leading up to the wide-open, brightly lighted boarding port at its base.

There were steps on the ramp, but Corriston knew that when the structure was drawn back into the ship it would collapse like a house of cards, folded back upon itself.

Helen Ramsey ascended first. Corriston made certain that she would by getting in the commander’s way with a convincing show of accidental clumsiness. He pretended to stumble as he began the ascent, to be all hands and feet.

The commander swore softly and Corriston was quite sure that he had not been deceived. But there was very little that he could do about it under the circumstances. He had to let Ramsey’s daughter climb the ramp first and she was almost at the top before Corriston started up.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close