Eight Keys to Eden - Cover

Eight Keys to Eden

Public Domain

Chapter 20

There was no frustration, no uncertainty in Gunderson’s mind.

His course was now clear. His observer ship had also read the messages spelled out by the placement of naked bodies on the grass, and in the semaphore wavings of the Junior E’s arms. The photographs taken were all the evidence he needed to prove the morals charges he intended to bring.

It might not be wise to allow the total photographs to show in the newspapers, on television, for there were ex-navy men here and there who might interpret the code. But enlarged pictures of the individuals, separated from the total, disporting themselves in lewd, naked positions would do the job.

Clearly the police must put a stop to this. He would have every organization in the universe dedicated to dictating the morals of others on his side. No politician would have the guts to stand up in opposition.

There remained only one thing to do. Go out and get that Junior E, place him under arrest, bring him back for trial. Perhaps it might be wise to let the colonists off easy--he could easily show that it was the influence of the Junior which had made a disgusting orgy develop there on Eden. Never mind that they were naked before the Junior arrived. The public could always be razzle-dazzled about the nature of the evidence, its order and meaning. It was an old police, prosecution, and political trick to separate a few items from the total context, but still a good one; for the public never bothered to know the whole context of anything. An old trick to fasten on phrases and slogans to fix an attitude in the public mind, for a phrase or slogan was about all the public was able to master. Anyone who had ever served on a jury, observed its deliberations, knew that out of all the welter of evidence, only certain isolated statements or facts, often minor and insignificant, penetrated the juror’s mind, and around these bits he formed his conclusions. Any smart lawyer knew that, and tried to set up his case accordingly.

His own course was clear.

His orders to the selected captain of his police ship were equally clear:

1. Proceed at once to Eden, the scene of the crime.

_2. Ignore any protests from the E ship already out there, or any

other ship E.H.Q. might have sent._

3. Ignore any signals from the Junior E on the planet.

_4. Land on the planet at the site of Appletree, the main site of

the lewd and obscene crime._

5. Place Junior E Calvin Gray under arrest.

_6. Place the crew of the Junior E’s ship, Thomas Lynwood, Franklin

Norton, Louis LeBeau, under arrest._

7. Place any colonist who opposed the police under arrest.

_8. Place the remainder of the colonists in detention under

protective custody._

_9. Place E McGinnis under arrest if he interfered in any way with

the police in carrying out the foregoing orders._

The police captain raised his eyebrows when he read the final order.

Place a Senior E under arrest?

Certainly, a Senior E. It was one thing to allow these birds to wander around, free as air to do as they please. It was one thing to let them get away with making such statements as “The police attitude toward the people is the major cause of crime.” It was something else, and time the E’s found it out, for them to make any overt move to interfere with the police in their performance of duty.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close