The Fire People - Cover

The Fire People

Public Domain

Chapter XXI: Another Light-Ray!

The news that Mercer and Anina had been left in the Twilight Country completely dumfounded Miela and me. “Something was wrong,” Mercer had said. And then they had insisted on staying there, and had sent the girls back to tell me to come over.

We could make nothing of it, nor did the half hour of argument into which we immediately plunged further enlighten us. That flaw in our plans which had dawned on Mercer so suddenly and clearly certainly never occurred to us, for all it was seemingly so obvious.

We were interrupted--having reached no conclusion whatever except that we would go over that evening as Mercer had directed--by the arrival of the police chief to see me. He was a little man, curiously thin and wizened for a Mercutian, with wide pantaloons, a shirt, short jacket and little triangular cocked hat. His face seemed pointed, like a ferret. His movements were rapid, his roving glance peculiarly alert.

He bowed before me obsequiously. He would obey me to the letter, I could see that at once from his manner; though, had I impressed him as being like my predecessor, I did not doubt but that he would do as he pleased upon occasion.

I toyed with the little light-ray cylinder in my hand quite casually through the brief interview, and I saw he was thoroughly impressed, for he seemed unable to take his eyes from it.

“Where are your men just now?” I asked.

He raised his hands deprecatingly and poured out a flood of words to Miela when my question was translated to him.

“He himself was sleeping,” she said to me when he had paused for breath. “His third watch was on patrol about the city. Then from the castle came the king’s guards, fleeing in haste. Those of the police they met they told that evil men were in the castle with the light-ray, and all who represented the city’s authority would be killed.”

“That was a lie,” I interrupted. “There was no light-ray here then.”

Miela nodded. “It was what Baar’s men had told them to say, I think.”

“And then what happened to the police?”

“Then they left their posts about the city. Some fled; others went back and reported what they had heard.”

“And it never occurred to any of them to come up here and try to stop the disturbance? Curious policemen, these!”

“It is too deadly--the light-ray,” said Miela. “They were afraid. And then the alarm bell began ringing. They sent for Ano, here, to ask him what they should do. And then you sent for him. He has his men at the police building, in waiting. And he comes to you at the risk of his life, and now asks your commands.”

Thus did my chief of police explain satisfactorily to himself, and with great protestations of loyalty to his trust, how it came about that he and his men did nothing while their king was being murdered and another put in his place.

Recriminations seemed useless. He stood bowing and scraping before me, eager only to obey my slightest wish.

“Tell him, Miela, how Baar’s men captured Lua. Have the city, thoroughly searched--Baar’s house particularly. Tell him I killed Baar’s wife. Have that slave woman sent home to me.

“Tell him to capture Baar and any of his known associates. If he does, have him report to me at once. Say to him that I must have word of Lua--or I’ll have a new chief of police by to-morrow. For the rest, have his men patrol the city as usual.”

I spoke as sternly as I could, and the little man received my words with voluble protestations of extreme activity on his part.

When he had bowed himself out I smiled at Miela hopelessly.

“This has got to be a mighty different government before we can ever hope to accomplish anything against Tao.” Tao was not worrying me for the moment. Lua must be found, and I had no idea of relying entirely upon this little chief of police to find her. And Mercer needed me, too, this very evening.

I stood up wearily and put my arm about Miela’s shoulders. Her little body drooped against mine, her head resting on my shoulder. There was little about us then, as we stood there dispirited and physically tired out, that would have commended respect from our subjects.

“We must get some sleep, Miela,” I said. “Things will look very different to us then.”

It must have been mid-afternoon when we awoke. Ano was at hand to report that Baar and his men, and all the king’s guards, must have fled the city. Of Lua he had, so far, found no trace. Baar’s slave woman was in the castle, waiting our commands. The girl who had brought us Mercer’s message was also waiting to ask us when we wanted her and the other girls for the trip back to the Twilight Country.

“Right away,” I exclaimed. “I’m not going to take any chances with Mercer. We’ll start at once.”

The girl flew away to get her friends and the platform, which had been left in the garden of Miela’s home. I planned to start openly from the castle roof; there was now no need of maintaining secrecy.

The disappearance of Lua was alarming. Equally so was the possible danger into which Mercer might have blundered. In Lua’s case there did not seem much I could do personally at that moment. Before starting I arranged with the aged councilors to call a meeting the following morning of all government officials.

“Could we get Fuero to come, Miela?”

She shook her head positively. “His oath would forbid it.”

“Well, tell the councilors to call also any of the city’s prominent men. I’ve got to get some good men with me. I can’t do it all alone.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close