Thin Edge - Cover

Thin Edge

Public Domain

Chapter V

When Representative Edway Tarnhorst cut off the call that had come from Harry Morgan, he turned around and faced the other man in the room. “Satisfactory?” he said.

“Yes. Yes, of course,” said the other. He was a tall, hearty-looking man with a reddish face and a friendly smile. “You said just the right thing, Edway. Just the right thing. You’re pretty smart, you know that? You got what it takes.” He chuckled. “They’ll never figure anything out now.” He waved a hand toward the chair. “Sit down, Edway. Want a drink?”

Tarnhorst sat down and folded his hands. He looked down at them as if he were really interested in the flat, unfaceted diamond, engraved with the Tarnhorst arms, that gleamed on the ring on his finger.

“A little glass of whiskey wouldn’t hurt much, Sam,” he said, looking up from his hands. He smiled. “As you say, there isn’t much to worry about now. If Morgan goes to the police, they’ll give him the same information.”

Sam Fergus handed Tarnhorst a drink. “Damn right. Who’s to know?” He chuckled again and sat down. “That was pretty good. Yes sir, pretty good. Just because he thought that when you voted for the Belt Cities you were on their side, he believed what you said. Hell, I’ve voted on their side when it was the right thing to do. Haven’t I now, Ed? Haven’t I?”

“Sure you have,” said Tarnhorst with an easy smile. “So have a lot of us.”

“Sure we have,” Fergus repeated. His grin was huge. Then it changed to a frown. “I don’t figure them sometimes. Those Belt people are crazy. Why wouldn’t they give us the process for making that cable of theirs? Why?” He looked up at Tarnhorst with a genuinely puzzled look on his face. “I mean, you’d think they thought that the laws of nature were private property or something. They don’t have the right outlook. A man finds out something like that, he ought to give it to the human race, hadn’t he, Edway? How come those Belt people want to keep something like that secret?”

Edway Tarnhorst massaged the bridge of his nose with a thumb and forefinger, his eyes closed. “I don’t know, Sam. I really don’t know. Selfish, is all I can say.”

Selfish? he thought. Is it really selfish? Where is the dividing line? How much is a man entitled to keep secret, for his own benefit, and how much should he tell for the public?

He glanced again at the coat of arms carved into the surface of the diamond. A thousand years ago, his ancestors had carved themselves a tiny empire out of middle Europe--a few hundred acres, no more. Enough to keep one family in luxury while the serfs had a bare existence. They had conquered by the sword and ruled by the sword. They had taken all and given nothing.

But had they? The Barons of Tarnhorst had not really lived much better than their serfs had lived. More clothes and more food, perhaps, and a few baubles--diamonds and fine silks and warm furs. But no Baron Tarnhorst had ever allowed his serfs to starve, for that would not be economically sound. And each Baron had been the dispenser of Justice; he had been Law in his land. Without him, there would have been anarchy among the ignorant peasants, since they were certainly not fit to govern themselves a thousand years ago.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close