Cut and Run - Cover

Cut and Run

Copyright© 2022 by C.Brink

Chapter 20: Epilogue

Year 3114 (two years later)

Sol System:

The defensive AI known by contemporary humans as Minervus noted the unexpected report just received from its very-long-baseline sensor array located in a distant polar orbit around the Sun. An energy detection had been observed at the expected location of the approaching Assemblage ark vessel.

The AI quickly analyzed the initial data and determined that the signals being received had indeed been sent from the Assemblage ark ship and were directed to its master AI here on Earth. The initial bits also indicated that a significant high bandwidth data transmission was to follow shortly.

Minervus quickly sent out an urgent action message to the full AI advisory council preparing it for possible emergency actions. A series of follow-on messages were prepared just in case. These would be directed at all humans in Sol system.

The subjects of the follow-on messages ranged from the rather benign “Be aware... ” notices to the most extreme “Begin full evacuation measures immediately... ” More data would be needed before sending any of the follow-on messages.

It continued decoding the initial data. An index of the total data to be transmitted was discovered. Minervus noted that the total volume of data to be received was easily large enough to include multiple fully-evolved digital presences. This likely indicated that the mind-data for the long-anticipated enemy scouts would be arriving with this transmission.

It sent a separate direct transmission to Dionus AI instructing it to prepare the simulated reality project to receive its first enemy agents.


Heels in the Sand Island, Earth

(Thirty-four hours later)

“Excuse me, John. You have just received a high-priority textual message from your daughter Kela Uxe-Abrams.”

What! I struggled to come fully awake. Kela ... she was still living in the SRP, right? A message. Was she finally ready to reenter the real world and come visit?

“Um ... what’s the message Ohmu?” I managed to croak out.

“The message is: Father, please come to the simulated reality project right away. A representative of the Assemblage wishes to meet you.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close