The Earl's Man - Cover

The Earl's Man

Copyright© 2023 by FantasyLover

Chapter 25

Epilogue

This sixth day of April in the Year of our Lord 1347

Addendum by Margaret Miller nee Phillips
Duchess of Rouen
Duchess of Lancaster
Duchess of York
Duchess of Byzantium
Duchess of Granada
Duchess of Maine
Panguian of Maghreb
Panguian of Ifriqiya
Amira of Wadi Tumilat Province
Khatun of the Demon Horde
Panguian of Delhi

I now understand the reluctance of my husband to bare his private thoughts for all to know. I intend for my portion of this journal to be miniscule, yet I find my mind racing and my hand trembling as I write.

It has been nearly a year since our beloved husband returned to his Maker, barely a week after making his final entry. We delayed his funeral for two months to allow everyone time to travel to Rouen after receiving word. The leaders of every country in Europe were here, as were the Mali Emperor and Sultan al-Mansur Abu Bakr, son of Al-Nasr Muhammad. The two remaining Khans came to pay their respects several months later. It took three months just for word to reach them. During the next year, seventeen rulers from Westland arranged to travel to Rouen aboard our ships to pay their respects.

For three more months, until a year from the date of his funeral, Mike will continue to lie in state in the courtyard of the palace. We, his wives, had a large marble sarcophagus prepared ahead of time with a depiction on the lid of him sleeping peacefully. The marble was an unusual bluish tint sent to use when we built the palace. Mike commented several times on the color, and we wives agreed that it would be a perfect final resting place for him. In August, it will be interred in a crypt beneath the Cathedral, next to Philippa. In his usual manner, Mike had very plain crypts prepared for each of us so we could all be buried together.

The Pope personally presided over the service. Pope Michael II was inaugurated six years ago when Clairvaux passed away. One of the first things he did was to ask Mike to accompany him to meet Sultan al-Mansur Abu Bakr, and then to accompany him on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

The 24th day of June in the Year of our Lord 1366

Addendum by John James Miller

Emperor of the Rouen Empire

Eldest child of Michael

The City of Rouen is subdued today in commemoration of Father’s passing twenty years ago. Yet, I feel he would prefer them to rejoice in his accomplishments rather than mourn his death.

His accomplishments remain as a testament to his character. Five years after his death, King Richard stunned the world. Claiming to feel like the tail wagging the dog, he made England part of the Rouen Empire. Within the next five years, many more countries followed his example. The Rouen Empire now encompasses the vast majority of the area between the Demon Horde and the Atlantic.

I have groomed my eldest son, Michael James II, to replace me and he is nearly ready. If all goes according to plan, I hope to see him replace me in two years so I can follow my father’s example and spend many of my final years visiting the far reaches of the globe, visiting old and new friends, and spending time with my children and grandchildren.


I would like to thank my editor, Himself, and the many readers who have pointed out errors in my writing. I have corrected the errors to date and hope it makes the story easier to read.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close