The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 12: The Start

On the evening of November 4th, 1923, the four friends again assembled at the Scientific Club for the start of their momentous adventure. The Doctor was the last to arrive, and found the other three anxiously awaiting him. He brought with him the valise containing the ring and a suitcase with the drugs and equipment necessary for the journey. He greeted his friends gravely.

“The time has come, gentlemen,” he said, putting the suitcase on the table.

The Big Business Man took out the ring and held it in his hand thoughtfully.

“The scene of our new life,” he said with emotion. “What does it hold in store for us?”

“What time is it?” asked the Very Young Man. “We’ve got to hurry. We want to get started on time--we mustn’t be late.”

“Everything’s ready, isn’t it?” asked the Banker. “Who has the belts?”

“They’re in my suitcase,” answered the Very Young Man. “There it is.”

The Doctor laid the ring and handkerchief on the floor under the light and began unpacking from his bag the drugs and the few small articles they had decided to try and take with them. “You have the food and water,” he said.

The Big Business Man produced three small flasks of water and six flat, square tins containing compressed food. The Very Young Man opened one of them. “Chocolate soldiers we are,” he said, and laughed.

The Banker was visibly nervous and just a little frightened. “Are you sure you haven’t forgotten something?” he asked, quaveringly.

“It wouldn’t make a great deal of difference if we had,” said the Doctor, with a smile. “The belts may not contract with us at all; we may have to leave them behind.”

“Rogers didn’t take anything,” put in the Very Young Man. “Come on; let’s get undressed.”

The Banker locked the doors and sat down to watch the men make their last preparations. They spoke little while they were disrobing; the solemnity of what they were about to do both awed and frightened them. Only the Very Young Man seemed exhilarated by the excitement of the coming adventure.

In a few moments the three men were dressed in their white woolen bathing suits. The Very Young Man was the first to be fully equipped.

“I’m ready,” he announced. “All but the chemicals. Where are they?”

Around his waist he had strapped a broad cloth belt, with a number of pockets fastened to it. On his feet were felt-lined cloth shoes, with hard rubber soles; he wore a wrist watch. Under each armpit was fastened the pouch for carrying the drugs.

“Left arm for red vials,” said the Doctor. “Be sure of that--we mustn’t get them mixed. Take two of each color.” He handed the Very Young Man the tin boxes.

All the men were ready in a moment more.

“Five minutes of eight,” said the Very Young Man, looking at his watch. “We’re right on time; let’s get started.”

The Banker stood up among them. “Tell me what I’ve got to do,” he said helplessly. “You’re going all but me; I’ll be left behind alone.”

The Big Business Man laid his hand on the Banker’s shoulder affectionately. “Don’t look so sad, George,” he said, with an attempt at levity. “We’re not leaving you forever--we’re coming back.”

The Banker pressed his friend’s hand. His usual crusty manner was quite gone now; he seemed years older.

The Doctor produced the same spoon he had used when the Chemist made his departure into the ring. “I’ve kept it all this time,” he said, smiling. “Perhaps it will bring us luck.” He handed it to the Banker.

“What you have to do is this,” he continued seriously. “We shall all take an equal amount of the drug at the same instant. I hope it will act upon each of us at the same rate, so that we may diminish uniformly in size, and thus keep together.”

“Gosh!” said the Very Young Man. “I never thought of that. Suppose it doesn’t?”

“Then we shall have to adjust the difference by taking other smaller amounts of the drug. But I think probably it will.

“You must be ready,” he went on to the Banker, “to help us on to the ring if necessary.”

“Or put us back if we fall off,” said the Very Young Man. “I’m going to sit still until I’m pretty small. Gracious, it’s going to feel funny.”

“After we have disappeared,” continued the Doctor, “you will wait, say, until eleven o’clock. Watch the ring carefully--some of us may have to come back before that time. At eleven o’clock pack up everything”--he looked around the littered room with a smile--”and take the ring back to the Biological Society.”

“Keep your eye on it on the way back,” warned the Very Young Man. “Suppose we decide to come out some time later to-night--you can’t tell.”

“I’ll watch it all night to-night, here and at the Museum,” said the Banker, mopping his forehead.

“Good scheme,” said the Very Young Man approvingly. “Anything might happen.”

“Well, gentlemen,” said the Doctor, “I believe we’re all ready. Come on, Will.”

The Big Business Man was standing by the window, looking out intently. He evidently did not hear the remark addressed to him, for he paid no attention. The Doctor joined him.

Through the window they could see the street below, crowded now with scurrying automobiles. The sidewalks were thronged with people--theater-goers, hurrying forward, seeking eagerly their evening’s pleasure. It had been raining, and the wet pavements shone with long, blurred yellow glints from the thousands of lights above. Down the street they could see a huge blazing theater sign, with the name of a popular actress spelt in letters of fire.

The Big Business Man threw up the window sash and took a deep breath of the moist, cool air of the night.

“Good-by, old world,” he murmured with emotion. “Shall I see you again, I wonder?” He stood a moment longer, silently staring at the scene before him. Then abruptly he closed the window, pulled down the shade, and turned back to the room.

“Come on,” said the Very Young Man impatiently. “It’s five minutes after eight. Let’s get started.”

“Just one thing before we start,” said the Doctor, as they gathered in the center of the room. “We must understand, gentlemen, from the moment we first take the drug, until we reach our final smallest size, it is imperative, or at least highly desirable, that we keep together. We start by taking four of the pellets each, according to the memoranda Rogers left. By Jove!” he interrupted himself, “that’s one thing important we did nearly forget.”

He went to his coat, and from his wallet took several typewritten sheets of paper.

“I made three copies,” he said, handing them to his companions. “Put them away carefully; the front pocket will be most convenient, probably.

“It may not be hard for us to keep together,” continued the Doctor. “On the other hand, we may find it extremely difficult, if not quite impossible. In the latter event we will meet at the city of Arite.

“There are two things we must consider. First, we shall be constantly changing size with relation to our surroundings. In proportion to each other, we must remain normal in size if we can. Secondly we shall be traveling--changing position in our surroundings. So far as that aspect of the trip is concerned, it will not be more difficult for us to keep together, probably, than during any adventurous journey here in this world.

“If through accident or any unforeseen circumstance we are separated in size, the one being smallest shall wait for the others. That can be accomplished by taking a very small quantity of the other drug--probably merely by touching one of the pellets to the tongue. Do I make myself clear?” His friends nodded assent.

“If any great separation in relative size occurs,” the Doctor went on, “a discrepancy sufficient to make the smallest of us invisible for a time to the others, then another problem presents itself. We must be very careful, in that event, not to change our position in space--not to keep on traveling, in other words--or else, when we become the same size once more, we will be out of sight of one another. Geographically separated, so to speak,” the Doctor finished with a smile.

“I am so explicit on this point of keeping together,” he continued, “because--well, I personally do not want to undertake even part of this journey alone.”

“You’re darn right--me neither,” agreed the Very Young Man emphatically. “Let’s get going.”

“I guess that’s all,” said the Doctor, with a last glance around, and finally facing the Banker. “Good-by, George.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close