The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 20: The World Of The Ring

Next morning after breakfast the four men sat upon the balcony overlooking the lake, and prepared to hear the Chemist’s narrative of what had happened since he left them five years before. They had already told him of events in their world, the making of the chemicals and their journey down into the ring, and now they were ready to hear his story.

At their ease here upon the balcony, reclining in long wicker chairs of the Chemist’s own design, as he proudly admitted, they felt at peace with themselves and the world. Below them lay the shining lake, above spread a clear, star-studded sky. Against their faces blew the cool breath of a gentle summer’s breeze.

As they sat silent for a moment, enjoying almost with awe the beauties of the scene, and listening to the soft voice of Lylda singing to herself in the garden, the Very Young Man suddenly thought of the one thing lacking to make his enjoyment perfect.

“I wish I had a cigarette,” he remarked wistfully.

The Chemist with a smile produced cigars of a leaf that proved a very good substitute for tobacco. They lighted them with a tiny metal lighter of the flint-and-steel variety, filled with a fluffy inflammable wick--a contrivance of the Chemist’s own making--and then he started his narrative.

“There is much to tell you, my friends,” he began thoughtfully. “Much that will interest you, shall we say from a socialistic standpoint? I shall make it brief, for we have no time to sit idly talking.

“I must tell you now, gentlemen, of what I think you have so far not even had a hint. You have found me living here,” he hesitated and smiled, “well at least under pleasant and happy circumstances. Yet as a matter of fact, your coming was of vital importance, not only to me and my family, but probably to the future welfare of the entire Oroid nation.

“We are approaching a crisis here with which I must confess I have felt myself unable to cope. With your help, more especially with the power of the chemicals you have brought with you, it may be possible for us to deal successfully with the conditions facing us.”

“What are they?” asked the Very Young Man eagerly.

“Perhaps it would be better for me to tell you chronologically the events as they have occurred. As you remember when I left you twelve years ago----”

“Five years,” interrupted the Very Young Man.

“Five or twelve, as you please,” said the Chemist smiling. “It was my intention then, as you know, to come back to you after a comparatively short stay here.”

“And bring Mrs.--er--Lylda, with you,” put in the Very Young Man, hesitating in confusion over the Christian name.

“And bring Lylda with me,” finished the Chemist. “I got back here without much difficulty, and in a very much shorter time and with less effort than on my first trip. I tried an entirely different method; I stayed as large as possible while descending, and diminished my size materially only after I had reached the bottom.”

“I told you----” said the Big Business Man.

“It was a dangerous method of procedure, but I made it successfully without mishap.

“Lylda and I were married in native fashion shortly after I reached Arite.”

“How was that; what fashion?” the Very Young Man wanted to know, but the Chemist went on.

“It was my intention to stay here only a few weeks and then return with Lylda. She was willing to follow me anywhere I might take her, because--well, perhaps you would hardly understand, but--women here are different in many ways than you know them.

“I stayed several months, still planning to leave almost at any time. I found this world an intensely interesting study. Then, when--Loto was expected, I again postponed my departure.

“I had been here over a year before I finally gave up my intention of ever returning to you. I have no close relatives above, you know, no one who cares much for me or for whom I care, and my life seemed thoroughly established here.

“I am afraid gentlemen, I am offering excuses for myself--for my desertion of my own country in its time of need. I have no defense. As events turned out I could not have helped probably, very much, but still--that is no excuse. I can only say that your world up there seemed so very--very--far away. Events up there had become to me only vague memories as of a dream. And Lylda and my little son were so near, so real and vital to me. Well, at any rate I stayed, deciding definitely to make my home and to end my days here.”

“What did you do about the drugs?” asked the Doctor.

“I kept them hidden carefully for nearly a year,” the Chemist replied. “Then fearing lest they should in some way get loose, I destroyed them. They possess a diabolical power, gentlemen; I am afraid of it.”

“They called you the Master,” suggested the Very Young Man, after a pause. “Why was that?”

The Chemist smiled. “They do call me the Master. That has been for several years. I suppose I am the most important individual in the nation to-day.”

“I should think you would be,” said the Very Young Man quickly. “What you did, and with the knowledge you have.”

The Chemist went on. “Lylda and I lived with her father and Aura--her mother is dead you know--until after Loto was born. Then we had a house further up in the city. Later, about eight years ago, I built this house we now occupy and Lylda laid out its garden which she is tremendously proud of, and which I think is the finest in Arite.

“Because of what I had done in the Malite war, I became naturally the King’s adviser. Every one felt me the savior of the nation, which, in a way, I suppose I was. I never used the drugs again and, as only a very few of the people ever understood them, or in fact ever knew of them or believed in their existence, my extraordinary change in stature was ascribed to some supernatural power. I have always since been credited with being able to exert that power at will, although I never used it but that once.”

“You have it again now,” said the Doctor smiling.

“Yes, I have, thank God,” answered the Chemist fervently, “though I hope I never shall have to use it.”

“Aren’t you planning to go back with us,” asked the Very Young Man, “even for a visit?”

The Chemist shook his head. “My way lies here,” he said quietly, yet with deep feeling.

A silence followed; finally the Chemist roused himself from his reverie, and went on. “Although I never again changed my stature, there were a thousand different ways in which I continued to make myself--well, famous throughout the land. I have taught these people many things, gentlemen--like this for instance.” He indicated his cigar, and the chair in which he was sitting. “You cannot imagine what a variety of things one knows beyond the knowledge of so primitive a race as this.

“And so gradually, I became known as the Master. I have no official position, but everywhere I am known by that name. As a matter of fact, for the past year at least, it has been rather too descriptive a title----” the Chemist smiled somewhat ruefully--”for I have had in reality, and have now, the destiny of the country on my shoulders.”

“You’re not threatened with another war?” asked the Very Young Man.

“No, not exactly that. But I had better go on with my story first. This is a very different world now, gentlemen, from that I first entered twelve years ago. I think first I should tell you about it as it was then.”

His three friends nodded their agreement and the Chemist continued.

“I must make it clear to you gentlemen, the one great fundamental difference between this world and yours. In the evolution of this race there has been no cause for strife--the survival of the fittest always has been an unknown doctrine--a non-existent problem.

“In extent this Inner Surface upon which we are now living is nearly as great as the surface of your own earth. From the earliest known times it has been endowed with a perfect climate--a climate such as you are now enjoying.”

The Very Young Man expanded his chest and looked his appreciation.

“The climate, the rainfall, everything is ideal for crops and for living conditions. In the matter of food, one needs in fact do practically nothing. Fruits of a variety ample to sustain life, grow wild in abundance. Vegetables planted are harvested seemingly without blight or hazard of any kind. No destructive insects have ever impeded agriculture; no wild animals have ever existed to harass humanity. Nature in fact, offers every help and no obstacle towards making a simple, primitive life easy to live.

“Under such conditions the race developed only so far as was necessary to ensure a healthful pleasant existence. Civilization here is what you would call primitive: wants are few and easily supplied--too easily, probably, for without strife these people have become--well shall I say effeminate? They are not exactly that--it is not a good word.”

“I should think that such an unchanging, unrigorous climate would make a race deteriorate in physique rapidly,” observed the Doctor.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close