The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 32: An Ant-Hill Outraged

“We’ll have to get smaller,” said the Doctor.

“There’s Rogers’ house.”

They had been walking along the beach from the king’s palace hardly more than a hundred yards. The Doctor and the Big Business Man were in front, and Oteo, wide-eyed and solemn, was close behind them.

The Doctor was pointing down at the ground a few feet ahead. There, at a height just above their ankles, stood the Chemist’s house--a little building whose roof did not reach more than half-way to their knees, even though it stood on higher ground than the beach upon which they were walking. On the roof they could see two tiny figures--the Chemist and Lylda--waving their arms.

The Big Business Man stopped short. “Now see here, Frank, let’s understand this. We’ve been fooling with this thing too damned long. We’ve made a hell of a mess of it, you know that.” He spoke determinedly, with a profanity unusual with him. The Doctor did not answer.

“We got here--yesterday. We found a peaceful world. Dissatisfaction in it--yes. But certainly a more peaceful world than the one we left. We’ve been here one day--one day, Frank, and now look at things. This child, Loto--stolen. Jack disappeared--God knows what’s happened to him. A revolution--the whole place in an uproar. All in one day, since we took our place in this world and tried to mix up in its affairs.

“It’s time to call a halt, Frank. If only we can get Jack back. That’s the bad part--we’ve got to find Jack. And then get out; we don’t belong here anyway. It’s nothing to us--why, man, look at it.” He waved his arm out over the city. In the street beside them they could see a number of little figures no bigger than their fingers, staring up into the air. “What is all that to us now, as we stand here. Nothing. Nothing but a kid’s toy; with little animated mannikins for a child to play with.”

“We’ve got to find Jack,” said the Doctor.

“Certainly we have--and then get out. We’re only hurting these little creatures, anyway, by being here.”

“But there’s Rogers and Lylda,” added the Doctor. “And Loto and Lylda’s sister.”

“Take them with us. They’ll have to go--they can’t stay here now. But we must find Jack--that’s the main thing.”

“Look,” the Doctor said, moving forward. “They’re shouting to us.”

They walked up and bent over the Chemist’s house. Their friend was making a funnel of his hands and trying to attract their attention. The Big Business Man knelt upon the beach and put his head down beside the house. “Make yourselves smaller,” he heard the Chemist shouting in a shrill little voice.

“We think it best not to. You must come up to us. Serious things have happened. Take the drug now--then we’ll tell you.” The Big Business Man, with his knees upon the beach, had one hand on the sand and the other at the gate of Lylda’s garden. His face was just above the roof-top.

The two little figures consulted a moment; then the Chemist shouted up, “All right; wait,” and he and Lylda disappeared into the house. A moment afterwards they reappeared in the garden; Eena was with them. They crossed the garden and turned into the street towards the flight of steps that led down to the lake.

The Big Business Man had regained his feet and was standing ankle-deep in the water talking to the Doctor when Oteo suddenly plucked at his sleeve.

“The Master--” he cried. The youth was staring down into the street, with a look of terror on his face. The Big Business Man followed the direction of his glance; at the head of the steps a number of men had rushed upon the Chemist and the two women, and were dragging them back up the hill. The Big Business Man hesitated only a moment; then he reached down and plucking a little figure from one of the struggling groups, flung it back over his shoulder into the lake.

The other assailants did not run, as he had expected, so he gently pried them apart with his fingers from their captives, and, one by one, flung them into the air behind him. One who struck Lylda, he squashed upon the flagstones of the street with his thumb.

Only one escaped. He had been holding Eena; when he saw he was the last, he suddenly dropped his captive and ran shrieking up the hill into the city.

The Big Business Man laughed grimly, and got upon his feet a little unsteadily. His face was white.

“You see, Frank,” he said, and his voice trembled a little. “Good God, suppose we had been that size, too.”

In a few moments more the Chemist, Lylda and Eena had taken the drug and were as large as the others. All six stood in the water beside the Chemist’s house. The Chemist had not spoken while he was growing; now he greeted his friends quietly. “A close call, gentlemen. I thank you.” He smiled approvingly at the Big Business Man.

Eena and Oteo stood apart from the others. The girl was obviously terror-stricken by the experiences she had undergone. Oteo put his arm across her shoulders, and spoke to her reassuringly.

“Where is Jack?” Lylda asked anxiously. “And my father--and Aura?” The Big Business Man thought her face looked years older than when he had last seen it. Her expression was set and stern, but her eyes stared into his with a gentle, sorrowful gaze that belied the sternness of her lips.

They told her, as gently as they could, of the death of her father and the disappearance of the Very Young Man, presumably with Aura. She bore up bravely under the news of her father’s death, standing with her hand on her husband’s arm, and her sorrowful eyes fixed upon the face of the Big Business Man who haltingly told what had befallen them. When he came to a description of the attack on the palace, the death of the king, and the triumph of Targo, the Chemist raised his hands with a hopeless gesture.

The Doctor put in: “It’s a serious situation--most serious.”

“There’s only one thing we can do,” the Big Business Man added quickly. “We must find Jack and your sister,” he addressed Lylda, whose eyes had never left his face, “and then get out of this world as quickly as we can--before we do it any more harm.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close