Tarrano the Conqueror - Cover

Tarrano the Conqueror

Public Domain

Chapter XIV: Defying Worlds

“So?” Tarrano eyed us, evidently in no hurry to speak further, seemingly amused at our confusion. Had he heard much of what the two women had said? All of it, or most of it, doubtless, with his instruments as he approached. But, even with the knowledge of Elza’s vehement appraisal of him, he seemed now quite imperturbable. His gaze touched me and Wolfgar, then returned to the women.

“So? It would seem, Tara, that your plan to wait upon the Lady Elza was not very successful.” He dropped the irony, adding crisply: “Tara, come here!”

She rose to her feet obediently, and stood facing him. Humble, fearful, yet a trifle defiant. For a moment he frowned upon her thoughtfully; then he said to Elza:

“Your policy of mercy is very embarrassing, Lady Elza.” He made a deprecating gesture, and again his eyes were twinkling. “This woman threatened your life. My guards were lax--though I must admit they had good excuse, with the other tasks which I thrust upon them ... Your life was threatened--you escaped by the merest chance of fortune. You know, of course, what justice would bid me do to this would-be murderess?”

Elza was on her feet, standing beside Tara. She did not answer.

Tarrano now was smiling. “I must let her go unpunished? Embarrassing, this merciful policy to which you have committed me! Yet--your will is my law as you know--though I feel that some day it will involve us in disaster ... You, Tara, will not be punished, much as you deserve it.” He paused, then said as an afterthought: “You, Jac Hallen, I thank you for what you tried to do in thwarting the attack. You acted in very clumsy fashion--but, at least, you doubtless did your best.” Gravely he turned to Wolfgar. “I shall not forget, Wolfgar, that, in an emergency, you saved the life of Lady Elza ... Enough! These are busy moments. You chose an awkward time to raise this turmoil. Come with me--all of you.”

He summoned Argo and two other guards. Unceremoniously, and with more haste than I had ever seen in Tarrano, he led us from the building. A hint of his purpose came to me, as he bade Elza gather up her few personal belongings, and gave them to a guard to carry.

In a group, he herded us across the spider bridge. It was early evening, but night had fully fallen. The city was ablaze with its colored lights. We crossed the bridge, passed through a tunnel-arcade, and came out to a platform which was at the base of a skeleton tower. Its naked girders rose some seven hundred feet above us. The highest structure in the city. A waiting lifting-car was there. We entered, and it shot us upward.

At the top, the narrowed structure was enclosed into a single room some thirty feet square. A many-windowed room, with a small metal balcony surrounding it outside. Immediately above the room, at the very peak of the tower, was a single, powerful light-beam; its silver searching ray swept the cloudless, starry sky in a slow circle.

The room was crowded with instruments. Unlighted, save by the reflected glow of its many image-mirrors, all of which seemed in full operation. A dozen intent men sat at the tables; a silent room, but for the hum and click of the instruments.

Tarrano said softly: “We have been very busy while you below were engaged with your petty hates.”

He seated himself at a table apart, upon which was a single mirror, and he gathered us around him. The mirror was dark. He called:

“Rax--let me see Mars--you have them by relay? The Hill City?”

The mirror flashed on. From an aperture overhead, a tiny beam of the blue helio-transformer came down to it. In the mirror I saw an image of the familiar Hill City. A terraced slope, dotted with the cubical buildings, spires and tunnel mouths. An empty channel[15] curved down across the landscape from the north.

[Footnote 15: Canal, as it now is thought to be.]

A distant scene, empty and lifeless save for black puffs which rose in the air above the city.

Tarrano called impatiently: “Closer, Rax!”

The image dissolved, blurred; turned red, violet, then white. We seemed now upon a height close above the city. It was seething with confusion. Fighting going on in the streets. Animals and men, fighting; a crowd of the Little People thronging a public square, with beasts of war charging them.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close