Tarrano the Conqueror - Cover

Tarrano the Conqueror

Public Domain

Chapter XIX: Waters of Eternal Peace

Little Wolfgar was gone. It seemed at first very strange, unreal. It lay a shadow of grief upon our spirits, for many hours a deeper shadow than all those grave events impending upon which hung the fate of three worlds.

Tarrano ordered for Wolfgar a public burial of ceremony and honor in the waters of eternal peace--ordered it for that same evening. Once again Tarrano demonstrated the strangeness of his nature. His arrival to take possession of Venus had been made the occasion of a great festival. “The Water Festival,” they called it, which was held only at times of universal public rejoicing. It was planned now to do honor to Tarrano--planned for this same evening. But he postponed it a night; tonight was for Wolfgar.

We were still captives in Tarrano’s hands, as we had been on Earth in Venia. Yet here in the Great City of Venus a curious situation arose. Tarrano himself explained it to us that afternoon. An embarrassing situation for him, he termed it.

“Very embarrassing,” he said, with eyes that smiled at us quizzically. “Just for your ears alone, you understand, I am willing to admit that I must handle these Great City people very carefully. You, Princess Maida--you are greatly beloved of your people.”

“Yes,” she said.

He nodded. “For that reason they would not like to know you are virtually a captive. And you, Georg Brende--really, they are beginning to look on you as a savior--to save them from disease and death. It is rather unflattering to me----”

He broke off, then with sudden decision added:

“Soon you two will realize that to join me will be your best course. And best for all the worlds, for it will bring to them all peace and health and happiness ... No, I ask no decision from you now. Nor from you, Lady Elza.” His gaze softened as he regarded her--softened almost to a quantity of wistfulness. “You know, Lady Elza, for what I am striving. I may--indeed I shall--conquer the worlds. But you hold in the palm of your little white hand, my real reward ... Enough!”

And then he offered us a sort of pseudo-liberty. We might all come and go about the Great City at will. Apparently--to the public eye--allied to Tarrano. The Princess Maida--as before--hereditary honored ruler; with Tarrano guiding the business affairs of State, as on Earth our Presidents and their Councils rule the legendary Kings and Queens. The one ruling in fact; the other, an affair of pretty sentiment.

It was this condition which Tarrano now desired to bring about. With Georg already beloved for his medical knowledge; and flying rumors (started no doubt by Tarrano) that the handsome Earth man would some day marry their Princess.

Myself--the irony of it!--I was appointed a sort of bodyguard to the Lady Elza--the little Earth girl whose presence in the Great City would help conciliate the Earth and bring about universal peace--with Venus in control.

So ran the popular fancy, guided by Tarrano. We were given our pseudo-liberty, watched always by the unseen eyes of Tarrano’s guards. And there was nothing we could do but accept our status. Tarrano was guiding his destiny cleverly. Yet underneath it all, unseen forces were at work. We sensed them. The slaans--submissive at their menial tasks, but everywhere with sullen, resentful glances. Perhaps Tarrano realized his danger; but I do not think that he, any more than the rest of us, realized what the Water Festival was to bring forth.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close