The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 23: Lylda's Plan

Back home, comfortably seated upon the broad balcony overlooking the lake, the three men sat waiting to hear their host’s explanation of the strange events they had witnessed. Lylda busied herself preparing a light noonday meal, which she served charmingly on the balcony while they talked.

“My friends,” the Chemist began. “I tried to give you this morning, a picture of this world and the life I have been leading here. I think you understand, although I did not specifically say so, that all I said related to the time when I first came here. That you would call this life Utopia, because of the way I outlined it, I do not doubt; or at least you would call it a state of affairs as near Utopian as any human beings can approach.

“All that is true; it was Utopia. But gentlemen, it is so no longer. Things have been changing of recent years, until now--well you saw what happened this morning.

“I cannot account for the first cause of this trouble. Perhaps the Malite war, with its disillusionment to our people--I do not know. Faith in human kindness was broken: the Oroids could no longer trust implicitly in each other. A gradual distrust arose--a growing unrest--a dissatisfaction, which made no demands at first, nor seemed indeed to have any definite grievances of any sort. From it there sprang leaders, who by their greater intelligence created desires that fed and nourished their dissatisfaction--gave it a seemingly tangible goal that made it far more dangerous than it ever had been before.

“About a year ago there first came into prominence the man whom you saw this morning condemned to death. His name is Targo--he is a Malite--full-blooded I believe, although he says not. For twenty years or more he has lived in Orlog, a city some fifty miles from Arite. His wife is an Oroid.

“Targo, by his eloquence, and the power and force of his personality, won a large following in Orlog, and to a lesser degree in many other cities. Twice, some months ago, he was arrested and reprimanded; the last time with a warning that a third offence would mean his death.”

“What is he after?” asked the Very Young Man.

“The Targos, as they are called, demand principally a different division of the land. Under the present system, approximately one-third of all the land is in the hands of the government. Of that, generally more than half lies idle most of the time. The Targos wish to have this land divided among the citizens. They claim also that most of the city organizations do not produce as large a dividend as the Targos could show under their own management. They have many other grievances that there is no reason for me to detail.”

“Why not let them try out their theories in some city?” suggested the Big Business Man.

“They are trying them,” the Chemist answered. “There was a revolution in Orlog about six months ago. Several of its officials were assassinated--almost the first murders we have ever had. The Targos took possession of the government--a brother of this man you saw this morning became leader of the city. Orlog withdrew from the Oroid government and is now handling its affairs as a separate nation.”

“I wonder----” began the Big Business Man thoughtfully. “Well, why not let them run it that way, if they want to?”

“No reason, if they were sincere. But they are not sincere nor honest fundamentally. Their leaders are for the most part Malites, or Oroids with Malite blood. And they are fooling the people. Their followers are all the more unintelligent, more gullible individuals, or those in whom there lies a latent criminal streak.

“The thing doesn’t work. Sexual license is growing in Orlog. Crimes against women are becoming more and more frequent. Offences committed by those prominent, or in authority, go unpunished. Women’s testimony is discredited, often by concerted lying on the part of men witnesses.

“Many families are leaving Orlog--leaving their land and their homes deserted. In other cities where the Targos threaten to gain control the same thing is happening. Most of these refugees come to Arite. We cannot take care of them; there is not enough land here.”

“Why not take your army and clean them up?” suggested the Very Young Man.

They were seated around a little table, at which Lylda was serving lunch. At the question she stopped in the act of pouring a steaming liquid from a little metal kettle into their dainty golden drinking cups and looked at the Very Young Man gravely.

“Very easy it would be to do that perhaps,” she said quietly. “But these Targos, except a few--they are our own people. And they too are armed. We cannot fight them; we cannot kill them--our own people.”

“We may have to,” said the Chemist. “But you see, I did not realize, I could not believe the extent to which this Targo could sway the people. Nor did I at first realize what evils would result if his ideas were carried out. He has many followers right here in Arite. You saw that this morning.”

“How did you catch him?” interrupted the Very Young Man.

“Yesterday he came to Arite,” said Lylda. “He came to speak. With him came fifty others. With them too came his wife to speak here, to our women. He thought we would do nothing; he defied us. There was a fight--this morning--and many were killed. And we brought him to the court--you saw.”

“It is a serious situation,” said the Doctor. “I had no idea----”

“We can handle it--we must handle it,” said the Chemist. “But as Lylda says, we cannot kill our own people--only as a last desperate measure.”

“Suppose you wait too long,” suggested the Big Business Man. “You say these Targos are gaining strength every day. You might have a very bad civil war.”

“That was the problem,” answered the Chemist.

“But now you come,” said Lylda. “You change it all when you come down to us out of the great beyond. Our people, they call you genii of the Master, they----”

“Oh gee, I never thought of that,” murmured the Very Young Man. “What do you think of us?”

“They think you are supernatural beings of course,” the Chemist said smiling. “Yet they accept you without fear and they look to you and to me for help.”

“This morning, there at the court,” said Lylda, “I heard them say that Targo spoke against you. Devils, he said, from the Great Blue Star, come here with evil for us all. And they believe him, some of them. It was for that perhaps they acted as they did before the court. In Arite now, many believe in Targo. And it is bad, very bad.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close