The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 26: The Abduction

When the Very Young Man left them so unceremoniously the Chemist and his companions continued on their way home, talking earnestly over the serious turn affairs had taken. Of the three, the Big Business Man appeared the most perturbed.

“Lylda isn’t going to accomplish anything,” he said. “It won’t work. The thing has gone too far. It isn’t politics any longer; it’s a struggle against us--a hatred and fear of our supernatural powers.”

“If we had never come----” began the Doctor.

“It probably would have worked out all right,” finished the Big Business Man. “But since we’re here----”

“We could leave,” the Doctor suggested.

“It has gone too far; I agree with you,” the Chemist said. “Your going would not help. They would never believe I did not still possess the magic. And now, without the drugs I might not be able to cope with affairs. It is a very serious situation.”

“And getting worse all the time,” added the Big Business Man.

When they arrived at the Chemist’s home Loto did not run out to meet them as the Chemist expected. They called his name, but there was no answer. Inside the house they perceived at once that something was wrong. The living-room was in disorder; some of the pieces of furniture had been overturned, and many of the smaller articles were scattered about the floor. Even the wall-hangings had been torn down.

In sudden fear the Chemist ran through the building, calling to Loto. Everywhere he saw evidence of intruders, who had ransacked the rooms, as though making a hasty search. In one of the rooms, crouched on the floor, he came upon Eena, Lylda’s little serving-maid. The girl was stricken dumb with terror. At the sight of her master she sobbed with relief, and after a few moments told him what had happened.

When the Chemist rejoined his friends in the lower room his face was set and white. The girl followed him closely, evidently afraid to be left alone. The Chemist spoke quietly, controlling his emotion with obvious difficulty.

“Loto has been stolen!” he said. “Targo and four of his men were here soon after we left. Eena saw them and hid. They searched the house----”

“For the drugs,” muttered the Doctor under his breath.

“----and then left, taking Loto with them.”

“Which way did they go?” asked the Big Business Man. “Good God, what a thing!”

“They went by water, in a large boat that was waiting for them here,” answered the Chemist.

“How long ago?” asked the Doctor quickly. “We have not been gone very long.”

“An hour probably, not much more.” Eena said something to her master and began to cry softly.

“She says they left a little while ago. Three of the men took Loto away in the boat. She watched them from the window upstairs.”

Targo aliá,” said the girl.

“One of the men was Targo,” said the Chemist. He went to one of the windows overlooking the lake; the Doctor stood beside him. There was no boat in sight.

“They cannot have got very far,” said the Doctor. “Those islands there----”

“They would take him to Orlog,” said the Chemist. “About fifty miles.”

The Doctor turned back to the room. “We can get them. You forget--these drugs--the power they give us. Oh, Will.” He called the Big Business Man over to them; he spoke hurriedly, with growing excitement. “What do you think, Will? That boat--they’ve got Loto--it can’t be very far. We can make ourselves so large in half an hour we can wade all over the lake. We can get it. What do you think?”

The Chemist dropped into a chair with his head in his hands. “Let me think--just a moment, Frank. I know the power we have; I know we can do almost anything. That little boy of mine--they’ve got him. Let me think--just a moment.”

He sat motionless. The Doctor continued talking in a lower tone to the Big Business Man by the window. In the doorway Oteo stood like a statue, motionless, except for his big, soft eyes that roved unceasingly over the scene before him. After a moment Eena ceased her sobbing and knelt beside the Chemist, looking up at him sorrowfully.

“I cannot believe,” said the Chemist finally, raising his head, “that the safest way to rescue Loto is by the plan you have suggested.” He spoke with his usual calm, judicial manner, having regained control of himself completely. “I understand now, thoroughly, and for the first time, the situation we are facing. It is, as you say, a political issue no longer. Targo and his closest followers have convinced a very large proportion of our entire nation, I am certain, that myself, and my family, and you, the strangers, are possessed of a diabolical power that must be annihilated. Targo will never rest until he has the drugs. That is why he searched this house.

“He has abducted Loto for the same purpose. He will--not hurt Loto--I am convinced of that. Probably he will send someone to-morrow to demand the drugs as the price of Loto’s life. But don’t you understand? Targo and his advisers, and even the most ignorant of the people, realize what power we have. Lylda showed them that when she flung Targo’s brother out into the lake to-day. But we cannot use this power openly. For, while it makes us invincible, it makes them correspondingly desperate. They are a peculiar people. Throughout the whole history of the race they have been kindly, thoughtless children. Now they are aroused. The pendulum has swung to the other extreme. They care little for their lives. They are still children--children who will go to their death unreasoning, fighting against invincibility.

“That is something we must never overlook, for it is a fact. We cannot run amuck as giants over this world and hope to conquer it. We could conquer it, yes; but only when the last of its inhabitants had been killed; stamped out like ants defending their hill from the attacks of an elephant. Don’t you see I am right?”

“Then Lylda----” began the Doctor, as the Chemist paused.

“Lylda will fail. Her venture to-day will make matters immeasurably worse.”

“You’re right,” agreed the Big Business Man. “We should have realized.”

“So you see we cannot make ourselves large and recapture Loto by force. They would anticipate us and kill him.”

“Then what shall we do?” demanded the Doctor. “We must do something.”

“That we must decide carefully, for we must make no more mistakes. But we can do nothing at this moment. The lives of all of us are threatened. We must not allow ourselves to become separated. We must wait here for Lylda. Reoh and Aura must stay with us. Then we can decide how to rescue Loto and what to do after that. But we must keep together.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close